Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

MacGuffin

"Horror" reigns
Source: Los Angeles Times

Showtime is planning an anthology series called "Masters of Horror," featuring original one-hour films directed by such genre veterans as Tobe Hooper, George Romero, Joe Dante, Stuart Gordon, John Carpenter and Roger Corman.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

holy shit, i'm definitely watching that.

Find Your Magali

saw this on darkhorizons.com

"LA-based director-producer Bob Clark and Toronto producer Victor Solnicki have pacted to produce a slate of films with budgets ranging from $10 million to $40 million. The slate will include a remake of "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things," the 1973 Canuck zombie horror pic that was Clark's debut as a writer-director. He has penned the new script and will helm the $12 million-budgeted pic. Pic will shoot in September in British Columbia.

I really don't know how to respond to this. ... Love the schlockiness of the original ... I'm not sure the film works if it has an actual BUDGET, though. ...

modage

not good.  very dated, hard to believe it came only a year before The Shining.  it was like The Shining/Poltergeist made as a Lifetime TV movie.  random minor spooky events just kept going on and on without really picking up steam.  ends with a whimper.  :yabbse-thumbdown:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: MacGuffin"Horror" reigns
Source: Los Angeles Times

Showtime is planning an anthology series called "Masters of Horror," featuring original one-hour films directed by such genre veterans as Tobe Hooper, George Romero, Joe Dante, Stuart Gordon, John Carpenter and Roger Corman.

Premieres Oct. 28 @ 10pm:

"Incident On and Off a Mountain Road" - Directed by Don Coscarelli ("Phantasm," "Bubba Ho-Tep")

"Dreams In A Wtch-House" - Directed by Stuart Gordon ("Re-Animator," "Dagon")

"Dance Of The Dead" - Directed by Tobe Hooper ("The Texas Chainsaw Massacre," "Poltergeist")

"Jenifer" - Directed by Dario Argento ("Suspiria," "Terror at The Opera")

"Chocolate" - Directed by Mick Garris ("Riding the Bullet," "The Stand")

"Homecoming" - Directed by Joe Dante ("The Howling," "Gremlins")

"Deer Woman" - Directed by John Landis ("An American Werewolf in London")

"Cigarette Burns" - Directed by John Carpenter ("Halloween," "The Thing")

"Fair Hair Child" - Directed by William Malone ("House on Haunted Hill," "FearDotCom")

"Haeckel's Tale" - Directed by John McNaughton

"Imprint" - Directed by Takashi Miike

"Pick Me Up" - Directed by Larry Cohen ("It's Alive," "The Invaders")

"Sick Girl" - Directed by Lucky McKee
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I watched Hellraiser a few weeks ago.  It was kind of dumb.  Not much motivation for that woman to try to save the guy in the attic, and how does nobody ever find out about it?

72teeth

Quote from: MacGuffin
"Homecoming" - Directed by Joe Dante ("The Howling," "Gremlins")

"Deer Woman" - Directed by John Landis ("An American Werewolf in London")

:onfire: Oh how ill be waiting for these...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: modage
not good.  very dated, hard to believe it came only a year before The Shining.  it was like The Shining/Poltergeist made as a Lifetime TV movie.  random minor spooky events just kept going on and on without really picking up steam.  ends with a whimper.  :yabbse-thumbdown:

I was scared of some parts of this as a kid, watched it again and wondered what sort of freshly painted, unventilated room I had watched it in.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Amityville Horror (2005) was not terrible but not very good.  the original sucks but this still loses points for being a remake and even more for not really improving much on a crappy movie.  ryan reynolds isnt really belivable as a psycho and the movie isn't scary.  the texas chainsaw remake was much better though a much more heinous crime.

and watched the second film with Kolchak, The Night Strangler.  not as good as the first film, it suffers a bit of sequel-itis where the story is so similar and even the characters remark on how 'all of this seems familiar', if it werent for Darren McGavin being so entertaining i would've asked why they bothered.  but as it was it was a fine, if unspectacular follow-up.  i would still like to see the series though.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Thrindle

Psst... I've been halfway through The Shining for three days.  Every time I try to watch the rest of it, I get scared and turn it off.  Scary movies, alone in the basement, are not good times.

:cry:
Classic.

Tictacbk

Scary movies only scare the shit out of you until you finish them and feel better...haven't you ever seen that episode of Doug?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: TictacbkScary movies only scare the shit out of you until you finish them and feel better...haven't you ever seen that episode of Doug?

Damn you for making me remember that.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

not a horror movie, and i don't know why it gets lumped in with them so often.  its a realistic (almost documentary) like portrait of a serial killer.  it's not scary or fun, but its also not that good and not that shocking anymore.  the only part that really got to me was the video footage of them in the house around the 1 hour mark.  that was messed up.   :shock:

Gamblour.

ooh, a similar film (based on the description) is Man Bites Dog. Fucking hilarious mockumentary, yet horrifically graphic and graphically horrific.
WWPTAD?

modage

Hammer film (<~) Curse of the Werewolf i hadn't seen until tonite that i had wanted to for years.  the image of this werewolf is one i had seen in pictures in books and such for a long time so it was interesting to finally see it in action.  the movie is actually pretty good, but the werewolf isn't seen until the last 5 minutes.  and in the most bizarre history i've ever seen he is made a werewolf because his mother is raped by a scuzzy homeless prisoner and he's born on christmas?  

also the weirdest thing: the film takes about an hour to get to what the film is about.  its the longest backstory i've ever seen that has little or nothing to do with the film.  it opens about a homeless man who is brought in front of a king (or something) who treats him like shit and locks him up.  as a prisoner he befriends a mute girl who is the daughter of the prison guard.  the girl grows up to be incredibly hot and is thrown in the cell with the homeless dude who rapes her.  she escapes into the wild where she is found by a couple who takes her in.  they discover she's pregnant and she has a baby, then dies.  then the couple raise the baby as her own.  the baby ends up being a werewolf when he grows up.  now isn't that a lot of goddamn backstory to get through?!?  its actually comical how long it takes to get to where the hell the story is going.  it's just been released on dvd, watch it.  notice, and laugh.