Magnolia discussion

Started by SailorOfTheSeas, May 08, 2014, 03:42:40 PM

wilberfan

Shall we start an in-house GoFundMe?   It's ours for a measly $10K.

polkablues

We could make that back in the first seminar alone!
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

And what's the first thing we're gonna do?

That's right, we're gonna MARK THAT CALENDAR.

Something Spanish

come August, it's saint suck my big fat juicy fucking sausage-ah

Something Spanish

you think she's your friend Geoff? she's not your friend

Fuzzy Dunlop

https://film.avclub.com/the-best-and-worst-of-magnolia-s-multiple-melodramas-1836941555

I disagree with a lot of this, including the concept of ranking the storylines itself ("I'm trying to tell ONE story!"), but its still fun to pick at. 20 years! God damn.

wilberfan

I wouldn't change a frame.

And PTA would have to get past me first to cut 20 minutes.

Alethia

Much as I love Magnolia, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with most of that. Not that I care ultimately; its reckless earnestness is a key aspect of its overall power.

Drenk

QuoteThere’s a prescience to Frank in an age in which we’re forced to reckon with the online and real-life violence of the anti-feminist “incel” community, men who believe they’re owed sex by what they perceive to be an inferior gender, a mindset that’s propagated by Frank’s teachings. It’s not hard to draw parallels between his seminar and snake oil grifts of some of the alt-right’s ugliest personalities.

Damn. PTA predicted misogyny.  :bravo:

The only issue I developed with Magnolia over the years—probably my favorite film—is Linda: she's really one note, so the over topness of her arc is...kind of boring. It feels like PTA didn't really tried to get in her head.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Drenk on August 08, 2019, 11:05:43 AMThe only issue I developed with Magnolia over the years—probably my favorite film—is Linda: she's really one note, so the over topness of her arc is...kind of boring. It feels like PTA didn't really tried to get in her head.

I agree. Magnolia is absolutely my favorite film, but not all of the Linda stuff holds up.

I wouldn't remove a frame of the pharmacy scene. Elsewhere, though, I think we do spend too much time with her. Some of those scenes are hard to get through, and (hate to say it) this is not the strongest performance in the movie.

polkablues

Quote from: eward on August 08, 2019, 11:00:12 AM
Much as I love Magnolia, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with most of that. Not that I care overall; its reckless earnestness is a key aspect of its overall power.

That's where I'm at. If it were more polished, I don't think I would love it as much.

I once had a film professor suggest that Donnie's entire storyline should have been cut. I almost had to leave the room.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilberfan

Apparently there is a stage adaptation of MAGNOLIA running in Poland.  (At least according to this barely readable review.)

https://www.broadwayworld.com/poland/article/BWW-Review-MAGNOLIA-at-Teatr-Wspolczesny-Wroclaw-Frog-Rain-of-Emotions-20190809

d

Yes there is. It is directed by Krzysztof Skonieczny, who had a very successful HBO series here in Poland a few months ago titled Blinded by The Lights based on a rather popular modern novel. I guess there are plans to dub it and release it worldwide. Not a masterpiece by any means but one of the best Polish TV series in recent years (which is sadly not a great achievement considering the quality of TV series made in Poland recently). It was well made and made Skonieczny quite a hot name here. While not shocking, the stage adaptation of a great but not very popular movie was not an obvious choice for his next project but he mentioned PTA as one of his most important inspirations and Magnolia in particular. The TV series features among other smaller references to PTA style a montage which is an obvious homage to Magnolia Wise-up sequence. here it is if you want to have a look:

Spoiler: ShowHide

Here are some more photos (the article is all in Polish):
https://www.tuwroclaw.com/wiadomosci,dlugi-spektakl-o-braku-milosci-recenzja-magnolii,wia5-3267-48972-1.html

I see the play is receiving good reviews. I am considering seeing it in a few weeks.

Alethia

I am caught between being unable to fathom how in the hell that could ever work and wanting to see it desperately.

d

As far as I remember, based on what I read about it, it's rather a loose adaptation.