World Trade Center

Started by Gold Trumpet, November 02, 2005, 08:05:48 PM

MacGuffin

No Politics for Stone

Oliver Stone has hit out at reports his new film will have a political agenda, insisting it will focus on two or three American civilians' fight for survival. Stone's film, which has been given the working title of World Trade Center, will feature Hollywood actor Nicolas Cage in the lead role. The movie-maker has courted controversy in the past with politically-charged Vietnam war films such as Platoon and Born On The Fourth Of July. He says, "This is not about the motives of the terrorists, or who the terrorists were, or the politics of 9/11 in any way. This film is the story of two guys trapped inside, and their families on the outside. It's a no-nonsense, austere, verite document of what they went through in those 24 hours, a procedural, and it should be shot like that."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jigzaw

Kind of sounds like he's openly exploiting a real event to make an action pic.  I won't be seeing it.

©brad

Quote from: jigzaw on February 04, 2006, 05:42:14 PM
Kind of sounds like he's openly exploiting a real event to make an action pic.  I won't be seeing it.

i will.

Kal

Everyone will see this... even if its bad... its the biggest thing that happened in America for a long time... people want to see.

hedwig

jigzaw wasn't gonna see it anyway.. if Stone's approach was political, he probably would've accused Stone of using a 'real event' to promote leftist castro-loving anti-american hatriotism, but now that he's taking the allegedly apolitical, 'procedural' approach, he's exploiting it to make an action pic?

kal's phrasing was a bit strange but he's right that people (including me) are gonna see this because of the subject matter. we have no idea how Stone's really gonna handle it just from reading a bunch of stupid little news items.

Gold Trumpet

I don't even understand where Jigsaw got the action film interpretation out of that post.

XIXAX can hate a film even before its first trailer.

hedwig

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 05, 2006, 03:11:31 AM

GT can make a gigantic generalization about xixax as a whole based on the dumb comments of a 38-post newb.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Hedwig on February 05, 2006, 03:14:21 AM

GT can make a gigantic generalization about xixax as a whole based on the dumb comments of a 38-post newb.

actually, i was really terribly trying to get something banner-ized. Dont take that serious at all.

©brad

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 05, 2006, 03:15:34 AM
Quote from: Hedwig on February 05, 2006, 03:14:21 AM

actually, i was really terribly trying to get something banner-ized. Dont take that serious at all.

hahah, but it's true.

jigzaw

Quote from: Hedwig on February 04, 2006, 09:15:19 PM
jigzaw wasn't gonna see it anyway.. if Stone's approach was political, he probably would've accused Stone of using a 'real event' to promote leftist castro-loving anti-american hatriotism, but now that he's taking the allegedly apolitical, 'procedural' approach, he's exploiting it to make an action pic?

This is true.  I do have to agree with what you're saying because at first I figured it would be a political film.  In any case I would have a hard time with ANYONE making a fictional film of 9/11 as it's so recent and just feels opportunistic and movie-of-the-week.  Could a good film be made?  Maybe... but the motives just seem so seedy.

I would trash Stone no matter what he does.  He is one of the very very few public people that can simply do no right with me.  I've seen many of his films and no matter how many times I try to give him a chance, I've hated each film of his from a strictly subjective artistic perspective.  My problem with him was just aesthetic till I saw his Castro doc, which made me personally sick, having parents that barely survived his "workers paradise".  So, I can't argue with your post.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: jigzaw on February 09, 2006, 06:02:43 PM
I've seen many of his films and no matter how many times I try to give him a chance, I've hated each film of his from a strictly subjective artistic perspective.

OK, lets talk on the basis of aesthetics. What about Oliver Stone's films make you cringe so much?

Gold Trumpet

©brad

it's going to be great. it really is.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ©brad on February 13, 2006, 06:29:16 PM

Only thing Cbrad and I agree on: an appreciation of Oliver Stone

©brad

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 13, 2006, 09:37:55 PM
Quote from: ©brad on February 13, 2006, 06:29:16 PM

Only thing Cbrad and I agree on: an appreciation of Oliver Stone

i wouldn't say it's the only thing. remember that time we agreed on... um... that movie with... um... what's his name...uhmmm...

yeah your right.