Kill Bill: Volume Two

Started by MacGuffin, September 24, 2003, 01:38:09 AM

MacGuffin

Tarantino's Fears for Oscar Chances
Source: IMDB

Hollywood director Quentin Tarantino fears he has ruined Uma Thurman's chances of landing an Oscar nomination because he split his Kill Bill story into two films. The stunning actress plays The Bride who seeks vengeance for the murder of her wedding party in last year's Kill Bill: Vol. 1 and this year's Kill Bill: Vol. 2. Tarantino split the movie in two after failing to cut it to an acceptable length - but he now fears the decision could backfire, come the Academy Awards. He explains, "If I tried to turn it into a three-hour or two-and-a-half-hour movie, all the scenes that would go would be scenes I think give the movie its weight, its resonance. If I truly, truly believed the film would have had more impact shorter, I would have done it that way. I think the only thing that might have been lost in that decision is we could have gotten considerably more awards play if the film had been one big, giant epic. As one big movie, Uma would have gotten a best-actress nomination, for sure. I'm still hoping we're going to do good at the Oscars in 2005."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinTarantino's Fears for Oscar Chances
Source: IMDB

Hollywood director Quentin Tarantino fears he has ruined Uma Thurman's chances of landing an Oscar nomination because he split his Kill Bill story into two films.
uh.. he ruined her chances by putting her in a shitty movie.
under the paving stones.

oakmanc234

He's still hoping to do good at the Oscars? Though I love the film thoroughly, I dont think it'll be up for JACK-SHIT. If it gets a single nom (let alone a few) I'll be shocked.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

ElPandaRoyal

Si

modage

Quote from: oakmanc234He's still hoping to do good at the Oscars? Though I love the film thoroughly, I dont think it'll be up for JACK-SHIT. If it gets a single nom (let alone a few) I'll be shocked.
i agree.  this wont be up for shit.  even if it WAS good enough, (which it wasnt), and even if it WAS the type of movie the academy awards (which it CERTAINLY ISNT), their memories arent that long typically and this wasnt some monster-Passion sized hit to make them remember.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

rustinglass

I hope Carradine gets a nomination, more than uma.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Raikus

I could see a sound or editing nom, but no acting noms. Uma did great, but he's right, breaking up the movie did torpedo her chances.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Alethia

splitting the movies up really did fuck up its chances of getting ANYTHING...vol 2 was much too hyped up for its own good....i like it but you know

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Tarantino doesn't strike me as a man who is after awards more than he's after the feeling of making a great film.

Then again, he's probably pretty arrogant, so he'd want awards he didn't even apply for.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Alethia

who wouldn't?  prizes are very encouraging

Just Withnail

Quote from: ewardwho wouldn't?  prizes are very encouraging

I seriously don't think Tarantino needs encouraging.

Alethia

rustinglass

Does anybody else think that the girl is going to be a fantastic actress. That bit when she is eating her sandwich and flapping her hand at the same time, it's so cool and you can't really teach that stuff, she looks so natural in the film.

one of my favourite lines: "why, daddy? were you being a baaaaaaaaaaad daddy?"
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Pubrick

Quote from: rustinglassone of my favourite lines: "why, daddy? were you being a baaaaaaaaaaad daddy?"
please. that little girl tops Aliens and Lost World in terms of "little girls that did nothing for the movie".

the more i think about kibble, the more its "coolness" falls away to reveal nothing but Lame. of all the tarantino movies, this is the first that is nowhere near as cool as it thinks it is.
under the paving stones.

modage

yes, i caught a few bits of it last night while my sister had it on and some of it really just annoyed me.  

KILL BILL VOL 2 = THE BIGGEST LETDOWN SINCE THE MATRIX RELOADED
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.