Kill Bill: Volume Two

Started by MacGuffin, September 24, 2003, 01:38:09 AM

SoNowThen

Quote from: soixanteYou guys have made some good points.  Now that I think about it, if you see Budd lose his job, then we understand his need to make money.  We also see Budd interacting with "regular" folks -- which echoes with Bill's speech about Superman and Clark Kent.  So this is Budd as Clark Kent, a loser in th eyes of civilians, but really a Superman hiding his powers.  OK, now I get it.

That's the best way of articulating it that I can think of!!

:yabbse-thumbup:

I didn't even think of the Superman-Kent thing in relation to this. Cool cool cool...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SPOILER

Talking about audiences, I think I've never had an experience at a theatre like the one I had today at the eyeball scene.
context, context, context.

Alethia

am i the only one who liked the pimp scene?

modage

Quote from: ewardam i the only one who liked the pimp scene?
no, i think everyone likes the pimp scene as a scene, but feels it doesnt neccesarily add much (except a few more minutes to the running time) to the film.  its extranneous.  actually, with as many times as you hear her say to someone "wheres bill?", i think he should've been much harder to track down and maybe had her trying to get info out of elle or whoever else along the way.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

soixante

More reflections after just one viewing:

The first confrontation of Vol. 1 and the final confrontation of Vol. 2 both feature innocent little girls, domestic settings and a conversation in the kitchen (with a cofee break in Vol. 1 and sandwiches served in Vol. 2).  Had this entire story been told chronologically, these scenes wouldn't serve as bookends.  Also, in Vol. 1, the Bride deprives one daughter of her mother, but in Vol. 2 a mother and dauther are reunited.

Also, a funny gag -- in the end credits, the gaffer gets his own title card.  It's about time gaffers got the recognition they deserve.

As with most QT films, repeated viewings will unearth more riches.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Alethia

Quote from: soixanteAlso, a funny gag -- in the end credits, the gaffer gets his own title card.  It's about time gaffers got the recognition they deserve.

really?  ive seen it twice and i dont remember

think tho - had the pimp scene not been there, we wouldnt have gotten that beautiful transition...

"But of course...How would he ever see you again?"

then a nice little dissolve.....i liked that much

brockly

it was only 15+ in Aus, so unlike Vol. 1, i had no trouble getting in.

***BIG SPOILERS***

2 things i didn't like:
- the name reveal
- the pai mei chapter was great, but i think QT should have taken it further and showed us how pai mei got to like the bride so much for him to teach her the 5 point palm tecnique.

apart from that, it was great. i loved it as much as vol. 1. my favourite scene was probably the burried alive scene. the black & white shot inside the coffin just made the situation seem so helpless, and when Uma went silent for that split second and listened to the faint sound of Budd's car driving off, shit, that was a really terrifying moment. then when we come back to the coffin after the Pai Mei chapter "L Arena" starts playing while she is trying to escape. really great scene.

i can see why some people called the final chapter anti-climatic, but i loved every second of it. "About Her" playing while the bride was watching TV with her daughter was brilliant. Then to the "anti-climatic" climax and the truth serum/Superman speech was amazing. the dialogue between Bill and the Bride right before Bill dies was so perfectly written and i thought it was very emotional.

one other thing that kind of dissapointed me (and i feel kind of wrong for being dissapointed) is that the Elle vs Bride fight wasn't as gross as i was expecting. It was really cool though how Elle kept trying to take the Hanzo sword out of its case but the trailer was just too fucking small. And i loved the way the fight ended. i was really satisfied at the fact that the Bride didn't need to finish her off.

ill be seeing it again today.

Alethia

yeah i kinda wish the elle fight was longer too

mutinyco

The more I see of this film, and Vol. 1, the more I think it's a mess. It's a comglomeration of styles. The drama goes nowhere. It has plot holes as big as J. Lo's ass. The structure is arbitrary. It's thematically as heavy as clouds.

It's like QT threw in every cinematic gimmick he could think of, regardless of whether there was any DRAMATIC need for any of it. Growing up, style over substance was looked down upon. If this is great filmmaking, then up is down, black is white...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Alethia

Quote from: mutinycoThe drama goes nowhere.

well it certainly did something if 90% of us love it

cine

Quote from: mutinycoIt has plot holes as big as J. Lo's ass.
How long have you been waiting to say that? Now be honest.

ProgWRX

the Budd/Superman analogy is totally on the money IMO. All I could think of during the strip club scene was "Budd sure can show restraint..." basically we all know his abilities (Albeit by reputation) and here he is, getting shit on by some idiot...

I can only say that i think vol 2 is the perfect complement to vol 1...(although stylistically its obviously very different) and im definately dying to see this cut into 1 film...
-Carlos

mutinyco

Quote from: 50 Centiphile
Quote from: mutinycoIt has plot holes as big as J. Lo's ass.
How long have you been waiting to say that? Now be honest.

Actually, I thought it up as I wrote it. Earlier I said they were as big as Texas. Didn't want to repeat myself.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

The Disco Kid

Yeah, I agree Mutinyco. This saga is ultimately void of any real substance. Tarantino is a guy who loves movies and tries to recreate his favorite moments from other films that he has seen, but in the end has absolutely nothing to say of his own. Well, maybe nothing except," Hey guys, aint I cool?".

I find the mass-fawning over Kill Bill very disturbing, because what is actually being praised is the death of originality and substance. This movie is visual Hip Hop...maybe even less than that.