Peter Jackson

Started by Spike, May 03, 2003, 06:43:52 AM

MacGuffin

Universal has just announced for 11/29 The Frighteners: Director's Cut (SRP $26.98 - 123 minutes, unrated, anamorphic widescreen, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio).

We'll post additional details on The Frightners: Director's Cut as soon as we can (all we know now is what we've posted, and that it's a single-disc release). No doubt it's an attempt to capitalize on Peter Jackson's visibility with his forthcoming King Kong remake, due in theaters on 12/14 (also from Universal).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Single disc, huh.  Gee, that's too bad, since the Signature Collection LD had a 4 1/2 hour documentary.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/frighteners-ld/

modage

how much longer is that than the regular release?  and i wonder if this was really jackson dying to put back in some scenes or the studio going, 'hey pete, add 30 seconds back in so we can say 'directors cut' and make everyone re-buy it!'  cause i dont remember any deleted scenes he was dying to have kept.  and its not really the type of movie where you need tons more gore or something.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02how much longer is that than the regular release?  and i wonder if this was really jackson dying to put back in some scenes or the studio going, 'hey pete, add 30 seconds back in so we can say 'directors cut' and make everyone re-buy it!'

imdb has the theatrical cut at 110 min and the director's cut at 122.

And considering that the director's cut was only ever available on laserdisc before now, I'm guessing that it's Jackson's preferred cut.  Universal knows better ways to make money than to push a then-unknown director to allow an extended edition of a movie of his that didn't do well and release it only on a format that not a lot of people had.

But then again, maybe the marketing peeps at Universal were just visionaries.

modage

oh okay, cool.  i didnt realize the dc was on laserdisc already.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Ravi on August 06, 2005, 01:45:09 AM
Single disc, huh.  Gee, that's too bad, since the Signature Collection LD had a 4 1/2 hour documentary.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/frighteners-ld/

The DVD has it all. It's a single disc, but it's two-sided, so the doc is on side B.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

4 1/2 hours?!?  HOLY AWESOME.  :shock:  an upgrade is imminent!

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on December 03, 2005, 04:31:08 PM
4 1/2 hours?!?  HOLY AWESOME.  :shock:  an upgrade is imminent!

It also comes with a free ticket to King Kong.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

now the dilemma begins: to wait till christmas for it or buy it for myself now to get the free ticket in time for kong?

MacGuffin

Peter Jackson to spoon Geller novel?
Source: The Guardian

Peter Jackson is reportedly pursuing the film rights to Uri Geller's novel Ella. The Israeli psychic with a penchant for bending cutlery met Jackson to discuss the deal last month, according to FemaleFirst's website. Ella is hardly a stretch for Geller, centering as it does on a youth who discovers she possesses psychic powers. Jackson is currently working on an adaptation of Alice Sebold's drama The Lovely Bones.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

Does anyone know if he has plans for a "Hobbit" film? I thought I remembered him saying he wanted a break from the LOTR franchise to work on other stuff. I just thought after Kong, we might hear some more rumors.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Myxo on June 13, 2006, 01:43:30 AM
Does anyone know if he has plans for a "Hobbit" film? I thought I remembered him saying he wanted a break from the LOTR franchise to work on other stuff. I just thought after Kong, we might hear some more rumors.

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=615.msg212797#msg212797

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Denzel Wants Jackson to Work on Movie

Denzel Washington says he wants Peter Jackson to provide the special effects for a film he plans to direct, a newspaper reported Friday.

The Oscar-winning actor told the Dominion-Post he had discussed the project with Jackson during a four-day visit to Wellington this week. He declined to provide other details.

Washington said the movie would likely be released in two years.

Jackson's Weta Workshop and Weta Digital provide special effects services for major movies.

Jackson, who won an Oscar for "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" is working on a movie version of Alice Sebold's best-selling novel "The Lovely Bones." Jackson, 44, is also expected to be the executive producer of a film based on the popular video game Halo.

Washington, 51, won Oscars for his roles in "Glory" and "Training Day."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

The Jackie Chan / Jet Li Project to Be Directed by Peter Jackson?
Source: MonkeyPeaches.com

According to Beijing-based Star Daily, Peter Jackson's name is mentioned as the choice of the director for the untitled Jackie Chan / Jet Li (The J&J Project). This means either Jackson has already agreed to get involved or the producers have tried talked him into it. Star Daily claims it got the news from an anonymous insider. The paper also reports Jet Li has been offered with US$9 million to play the main villain in the movie.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Peter Jackson IS Remaking Dam Busters After All
Source: Cinematical

Though he stridently denied his interest in a remake just a few months ago, Peter Jackson has a long-standing love for 1954's The Dam Busters, a British film about a real-life secret squadron created to to destroy three crucial German dams during World War II. And, according to an exclusive interview he gave Screen Daily yesterday, Jackson is, in fact, producing that non-existent remake. He actually inquired about the rights to the film years ago, before work on the The Lord of the Rings series had even begun. At that time he was told the rights were held by Icon, and that Mel Gibson was considering a remake, but they recently became available again, and Jackson snatched them up.

The film -- retitled Dambusters for our slick, streamlined times -- will be directed by long-time Jackson collaborator Christian Rivers, and the pair have already done extensive research for the project, including trips to England to interview the squadron's surviving pilots, and Germany to visit the rebuilt dams. Though Jackson told Screen Daily that he hopes to begin shooting by the middle of next year with a budget between $30 and $40 million, he and Rivers have yet to hire a screenwriter.

Skeleton FilmWorks