King of the Hill on DVD

Started by life_boy, June 20, 2003, 05:06:43 PM

Ravi

But KOTH was good at one point.  Maybe it still is, I don't know, I don't watch it regularly.

MacGuffin

ABC might pick up 'King of the Hill'
Cancelled Fox show would be good fit at net
Source: Variety

Reports of "King of the Hill's" dethronement may have been premature.

At least one network has expressed interest in "King," which was handed its pinkslip just last week by Fox.

The suitor is believed to be ABC, as "King of the Hill" would make a strong companion to the net's upcoming animated comedy "The Goode Family," which comes from "King of the Hill" exec producers Mike Judge, John Altschuler and Dave Krinsky.

A "King of the Hill" pickup would give ABC a well-known franchise to bolster the chances for "Goode Family." It's a de facto network scheduling rule, learned at Fox through years of trial and error, that animated half-hours fit best with other animated half-hours.

Fox's decision not to order any new episodes of "King of the Hill," meanwhile, came just three days before the animated laffer posted its best ratings in a year, averaging a 4.3 rating/10 share in adults 18-49 on Sunday night.

Still, network insiders said Fox won't likely change its mind on the cancellation. Net execs are looking to freshen up their animated stable, and after 260 episodes, they believed "King of the Hill" was ready for retirement.

Other potential homes for the toon include Comedy Central, FX and Cartoon Network. But the show, which would be entering its 14th season, is believed to be too expensive for a cabler at this point in its run.

If another network picks up "King of the Hill," there's a remote possibility the show could wind up airing on two nets at once, as Fox's stockpile of original "King" episodes will keep the show on that net through next fall. It's expected, however, that whichever network purchases the show would wait for the Fox broadcast window to conclude.

Given the lengthy lead time on animated projects, the 14th season of "King" probably wouldn't be available to ABC until late 2009 or early 2010. The Alphabet web could always purchase leftover segs from Fox should the network decide to part ways with the show at the end of this season.

Whatever the case, "King of the Hill" could very well become the primetime series that couldn't be killed. The show has already been halted and revived in the past — which is why its producers have never written a series finale.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

john

I got excited for a second thinking that a new post on this thread would be news regarding any more seasons coming to DVD, but this is just as good.

It's admirable how this show is so durable... surviving multiple cancellations (some threatened, some real), never really getting the audience or respect it deserves, and staying consistently watchable for over a decade now.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

tpfkabi

TVweek reports more King repeats

November 5, 2008 7:39 AM

Adult Swim Expands an Hour With 'King'
By Jon Lafayette

Turner Broadcasting's Adult Swim, the late-night program block on Cartoon Network, will be expanding by a hour beginning in January.

Adult Swim will start at 10 p.m. and run through 6 a.m. under the new schedule. It now appears from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.

As part of its new schedule, Adult Swim has acquired rights to "King of the Hill" from Twentieth Television. The long-running Fox series will run daily at 10 p.m.

"Adult Swim has been a consistent ratings winner," said Stuart Snyder, president and chief operating officer of Turner Broadcasting's Animation, Young Adults and Kids Media group.  "By expanding the network with exciting new programming, which speaks directly to our audience, Adult Swim and AdultSwim.com can continue to grow and be the dominant brand with men 18-34."

"With 'King of the Hill' joining 'Family Guy' in our Adult Swim lineup we now have two of the greatest animated series ever made," said Mike Lazzo, senior VP of programming and production for Adult Swim. 

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Breaking News: MIKE JUDGE SAYS 'KING OF THE HILL' IS DEADER THAN IT WAS LAST TIME FOX CANCELLED IT
Though there is still an option for it to be resurrected at ABC
Source: iF Magazine

THE SKINNY: While Mike Judge has a new midseason animated show THE GOODE FAMILY on ABC this season, his long-running Fox animated series KING OF THE HILL is now on the bubble.

iF caught up with Judge at ABC's winter TCA to find out the scoop.

As far as it coming back on Fox, Judge confirms, "It's dead. It's deader than it was when it was last cancelled."

However, ABC has been considering bringing it over to its network to pair with THE GOODE FAMILY.

"That's what I hear, I'm not sure," says Judge. "It will depend on the ratings [on Fox]. If the ratings are good, they might consider airing them."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MaryWalters

Hello! Thanks a lot for spreading the word! As soon as you are ready with your project, you may read this article: