Jeff Bridges

Started by Xixax, January 02, 2004, 10:48:03 PM

Xixax

You know, it occurred to me not long ago that Jeff Bridges is probably one of the great overlooked and underrated actors out there.

I mean, can someone name something that they DIDN'T like him in?

Wait, I just remembered "Starman" and "K-Pax" so don't answer that question.

Anyway, in some of his roles he's phenomenal (Big Lebowski, Tron), and he's also good at making a so-so film very likeable because of his personality (SeaBiscuit, Tucker).

He's also a pretty gifted photographer. It's my understanding that he shoots still photos during each of the films he works on, and when production wraps, he gives photo albums to the cast and crew.

I just like the guy. I really do.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

bonanzataz

yeah. his brother beau is a cool cat, too.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

One of his best:

Quote from: XIXAXHe's also a pretty gifted photographer. It's my understanding that he shoots still photos during each of the films he works on, and when production wraps, he gives photo albums to the cast and crew.

That's true. In fact, he just came out with this book:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Finn

That's a really good movie and the brothers were great to see on screen while playing...brothers.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

godardian

For Last Picture Show and Big Lebowski alone...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

soixante

Jeff Bridges is one of the best actors in films.  Pauline Kael, the grand doyenne of film criticism, singled out his work as exemplary.  He did his best work in the 70's, with Last Picture Show (Oscar nominated), Fat City (highly under-rated), Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (Oscar nominated), Hearts of the West, and Stay Hungry.  Thunderbolt and Lightfoot showed Bridges at his best, contrasting his youthful boisterousness with Eastwood's flinty, laconic style.  There is a particular naturalness to Bridges' work that sets him apart.  He doesn't seem to be acting, he's being.  I can't see the gears when he does his thing -- it's seamless.

In the 80's, Bridges did Eight Million Ways to Die, in which he was great (another underrated gem).  He was great in Fabulous Baker Boys and Great Lebowski.

OK, have I sucked his dick enough?  The guy is fucking awesome!
Music is your best entertainment value.

phil marlowe

BLASPHEMY!!! BIG lebowski. thanks.

ddbright

He was awesome in "The Contender" with Joan Allen.  Hilarious in a few scenes even though his character had some pretty serious things to say.

Go to his website at www.jeffbridges.com and sign his guest book.

Reinhold

heads up nyc xixaxers... i just saw an ad for an evening with jeff bridges at lincoln center - $35 - january 9th, with a screening of the last picture show following.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.