Incorporating a private messaging scene into a script?

Started by fletch, July 19, 2005, 07:01:26 PM

fletch

I am working on a short script and one of the scenes calls for the two main characters to send PM's back and forth to each other through a website.  I have no idea how to write this.

I suppose I can change it to Instant Messaging if need be, but I'd rather not have to.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

polkablues

Do you mean you're not sure how to write it format-wise?  Or how to make it play in the actual movie?

You could do it with voice-over, with the characters voices reading the PM's as they type.  That way, just write it up as BERTRAND (VO), with the words written as dialogue.

Or, you could have the text come up on screen, in which case you would write SUPER: followed by the words that we'll see.

Another way to do it would be to just write PM (or the character's screenname, or whatever) as the character cue, and write a parenthetical, (on computer screen), or something to that effect, below it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pozer

Pubrick

Quote from: POZERSee Closer (the movie) script.
haha man, i've been holding out on it, but now i hav to see it.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Quote from: Pubrick
haha man, i've been holding out on it, but now i hav to see it.

Julia Roberts is WAY better in the script than she is in the movie... but somehow that's always the case.....

fletch

Quote from: polkabluesDo you mean you're not sure how to write it format-wise?

Yeah, format-wise.  I know what I want to write....I just don't know how to write it. ;)

I like your idea about VO.  I'll give that a shot.

fletch

I can't find it anywhere....I also can't find the "You've got Mail" script anywhere either.

MacGuffin

Quote from: fletchI also can't find the "You've got Mail" script anywhere either.

http://sfy.ru/sfy.html?script=youve_got_mail
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

fletch

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: fletchI also can't find the "You've got Mail" script anywhere either.

http://sfy.ru/sfy.html?script=youve_got_mail

Hey, thanks man!

polkablues

The method David Trottier (that's right, I pulled out my trusty "Screenwriter's Bible") suggests if you're simply seeing the text on the computer screen is this (his example, verbatim):

Sid faces the computer monitor, then types on the keyboard.

ON THE MONITOR

Sids words appear:

"But Renee, they're tapping my phone
                   conversations."

BACK TO SID

who studies Renee's response.

ON THE MONITOR

Renee's response appears:

"You're being silly, Sid."

Except the text in parentheses is indented like dialogue, which I can't seem to do here.  Trottier's method seems a little overly complicated, but at least it's supported by precedent.

fletch

Hmm...I think I like the VO method more.  But I'll try both of them out.  Thanks!