How do you rate John Turturro?

Started by Katre, June 18, 2003, 02:03:10 PM

Katre

I have been thinking about this recently. I almost never see him mentioned when favorite actors are being talked about, so i want to know what you guys opinion is about him. Even when The Coen brothers are in the discussion, the main players always are Jeff Bridges, John Goodman or Steve Buscemi, but almost never him.
So do you people rate him as an actor, and if not, why?

SoNowThen

Has he ever NOT been amazing? Pretty much everything he's in, he raises the bar. This man is great.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: KatreEven when The Coen brothers are in the discussion, the main players always are Jeff Bridges, John Goodman or Steve Buscemi, but almost never him.

Spike Lee also uses him well. Great parts he played perfectly in "Jungle Fever" and "Do The Right Thing".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

I also like him in Color Of Money and Quiz Show.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

I think I like him best in Cradle Will Rock
I like to hug dogs

Ernie

One of my favorite actors, one of the many named John. I'm glad to see somebody else mention his part in Jungle Fever. That's one of the saddest parts I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever felt so bad for somebody going through a breakup in a movie...it's really powerful. I love the scenes with him and angie's brothers too, it's a really cool movie.

jokerspath

Ya, I've always enjoyed his work and as far as I can remember never was really dissapointd...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

picolas

incredible. Fink is such a vivid character..he's always so different but at the same time so believable and funny and very true to himself it seems..like he's kept a lot of himself a secret and you're never sure which part he's fabricating, or doesn't come straight out of him..i was quite amazed at how good he was in Anger Management, despite the fact it wasn't a great character to start with..

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

one of our best actors , he gets so deep into the part its easy to overlook him, since he is not always flashy

but think of this

pete from O brother and pino from do the right thing and barton fink

do those three guys have anything in commen

thats how great he is that he can do so much and so many differnt things

godardian

He's a brilliant actor.

Can he do the tortured-repressed-professor in 13 Conversations AND Jesus in Lebowski??

Yes, indeed, he can. And well.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Cecil

modage

on a scale of amazing to fantastic, he ranks a solid unbelievable.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

lamas

oakmanc234

picolas. wrote: i was quite amazed at how good he was in Anger Management, despite the fact it wasn't a great character to start with..

Just thinking of him in 'Anger' makes me laugh.

'You think you're better than me cause' you got both your nuts?!'
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'