Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 08, 2013, 08:44:35 PM
- Witching and Bitching: I have to say this movie is incredibly sexist and I have a hard time recommending it because of that, but I have to give props to a movie as INSANE as this one having that high of a production value. If you can see past how awful the men in this movie are, it's a really batshit, kinda fun ride.

I had never heard of this before now. Despite having the worst title of all time, it looks (from the trailer) like a lot of fun. Looks like a better-made version of Doghouse, misogyny included.
My house, my rules, my coffee

tpfkabi

Quote from: Reelist on October 01, 2013, 03:26:41 PM
Poltergeist 2&3 ( 1 is always a given )
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 ( 1, a given )

Poltergeist 2 & 3 - I always come back to these. They used to come on cable a lot.
2 has Kane, played by a man really dying from cancer - inspired by Night of the Hunter?
3 is so weird. all the smoke and mirrors. confined mostly to an apartment building. the actress who plays carol anne is dying from an undiagnosed sickness. the cast consists of tom skerritt, nancy allen (of depalma), laura flynn boyle circa Twin Peaks...and Zelda 'this haas is clear (clean?)' Rubinstein. the actor who played Kane in 2 died before the film finished. some really cool cinematography in 2. it's just such a weird and interesting film series.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre may be one of the last 'really popular' films I've never seen. It never seems to come on movie channels, but the remake does - which I watch sometimes for Biel.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Reel

I didn't know that about the actors dying from terminal illnesses. The Poltergeist Curse gets weirder the more you look into it...

Quote from: tpfkabi on October 10, 2013, 01:27:35 AM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre may be one of the last 'really popular' films I've never seen. It never seems to come on movie channels, but the remake does - which I watch sometimes for Biel.

Man, is your movie watching strictly limited to TV channels? It's funny how much stuff you seem to catch on the tube. I think we're the only ones left here  with cable. Gonna be a good month for TCM. Speaking of TCM, it's a fucking classic. Watch it now, it's on Youtube. Normally, I wouldn't even suggest you watch it on your computer, but in this case, I'll make an exception. What about that remake? It's been 10 years since it came out, I saw bits and chunks of it in theaters. It had some really disturbing images, but nothing that could match the wild energy of the original. I'm sure if I watched it again, it would actually be a 'good remake' compared to the steady stream of crap they've been putting out since. I just think it's really lame how popular that remake is, all over TV this time of year. There's a whole generation that only knows TCM through those versions, and it's fucking sad.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Reelist on October 10, 2013, 08:48:33 AM
Man, is your movie watching strictly limited to TV channels? It's funny how much stuff you seem to catch on the tube. I think we're the only ones left here  with cable. Gonna be a good month for TCM.

When I say cable, I usually mean what I would see on cable in the 90's as a teenager.

I don't go to the theater very often. I'm very patient with new things. I have no problem waiting until the 'new' wears off and getting it cheaper. I was buying a lot of used rental copies through Blockbuster -  I would wait until they had been out a while and eventually they start marking them down and buy a few at a time. All of those shut down, so now I'm not really doing that. So really I'm watching TCM and channels that show stuff uncut like IFC, Sundance. I'm letting the movies come to me. And then when I read about those online, they usually point me to other movies, so then I may buy some of those when I'm making an Amazon order to break $25, or I may just want to see them. BluRay/ DVD conversion is also keeping me back some, because I will need to buy new versions of everything - new TV, player, sound system - to get it to work.

There are a few directors that I will make a point to see or buy what they're doing like with Paul, Wes Anderson. I did buy The Master.

DISH will have free movie weekends several times a year, so then I can DVR a lot of stuff and catch up on newer movies. Redbox also sends me Free Movie coupons, so I can catch up that way also.

Back to Horror, I was in Best Buy the other day and just looked at the $4.99 bin and did a double take. It was The Good Son (1993) with Mac Culkin, but with a totally new cover. It appears the DVD is exactly the same, but they changed the artwork. That was another oddball that I would see on cable and stuck with me.

Weird - how do you describe this artwork? Cabin in the Woods meets From Hell (the red blotch). I don't know. They don't even put Elijah Wood's name on front. It has extras - trailer, short featurette - but no mention on the back.

This is one thing I don't understand with DVD manufacturing - when they take an older DVD and do nothing but change the artwork. The new Good Son packaging has a 2012 copyright, so why didn't they change anything else or put out a Blu-Ray? Same thing with Little Monsters (the Fred Savage vehicle). I bought the DVD. It is barebones and Full Screen, but there was no other option. I am in the same store a few months later and I notice Little Monsters with totally new artwork. I assume it is the same DVD though. It's like with King of the Hill TV series - supposedly they stopped releasing sets because they were not selling enough. Cue to the last year or so and I see new versions of the seasons already released. If it didn't sell, why would you go to the trouble of changing the packaging?

Neil

The good son was one of the 1st movies that I got to see in the theatre. It might have even been the first,  I was 6 years old. My brothers 6 and 7 years older than me, so it was really for them.  But, this is one of the films I was going to mention in the podcast.  This movie was the most intense experience of my life folks.  My mom actually stopped me from attempting to leave several times, because I was so on edge, I couldn't handle it. I tried to lie to my mom and tell her that I had to go to the bathroom, but she made sure that my 6 yr old self sat right there for the whole thing instead of  wandering around the theatre. 
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Reel

That's a perfect age for The Good Son, I think I must've been that young too because I remember thinking of Macauly and Elijah as 'big kids'. One scene in particular I found terrifying and has stayed with me from that viewing, which I'll talk about on the podcast (tease)

Sleepless

I'm only commenting to point out that Reelist just posted reply #666 in the Horror thread but unfortunately didn't wait until it was actually Halloween to do so. Oh well.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Reel

Oh, awesome. I would've never noticed that. Nice bit of serendipity after we chose the movie we're discussing  :yabbse-lipsrsealed:

that reminds me, the first time I PM'ed neil was congratulating him on making his 666th post with a jesus av.

jenkins

you remember how tough i am. so fucking tough. i've watched edward scissorhands at home, as my personal collection selection, es, 3x over three days because also it helps me fall asleep. spirited away, fallen angels, rebels of the neon god, and kes have been there for me during nights passed. i don't even think es is a horror movie. i'm letting vincent price trick me, and i don't get scared

tpfkabi

Quote from: Neil on October 16, 2013, 12:12:50 PM
The good son was one of the 1st movies that I got to see in the theatre. It might have even been the first,  I was 6 years old. My brothers 6 and 7 years older than me, so it was really for them.  But, this is one of the films I was going to mention in the podcast.  This movie was the most intense experience of my life folks.  My mom actually stopped me from attempting to leave several times, because I was so on edge, I couldn't handle it. I tried to lie to my mom and tell her that I had to go to the bathroom, but she made sure that my 6 yr old self sat right there for the whole thing instead of  wandering around the theatre.

Do you think it was a good thing that she made you watch it?

Neil

^ at the time I thought I was going to piss my pants (from tension), so i was kind of just flustered and frustrated.  But, now I would say, yes I think it's a good thing. I never had that kind of a cinematic experience before.  It's great that she made me watch it.
SPOILS FOR THE GOOD SON
I'm still devastated that she had to drop her own son. 
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

jenkins

encouraging everyone who sees carrie to come tell good carrie news. all the words against it are guessable. idgaf about the book or comparisons to de palma or computer effects or any of that. come give me the goodies, please

Reel

You're the one who goes to all these exclusive screenings of first run movies and it's up to us to inform you about this giant mainstream hit?

Quote from: jenkins<3 on October 18, 2013, 10:53:50 PM
idgaf about the book or comparisons to de palma or computer effects or any of that. come give me the goodies, please

Well, sorry but I have blinders on causing me to ONLY see these things when I'm watching a remake. It may be good, but there won't be credit bush. Kimberly Pierce is a talented woman, but I thought the same of Jose Padhila (Bus 174) and that he could possibly save the robocop remake  :roll:

I would like to go, I just hate the mall. I'll try my best to write a review for you since you're oh-so-busy.

polkablues

You thought Jose Padhila was a talented woman?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Quote from: polkablues on October 19, 2013, 10:11:30 AM
You thought Jose Padhila was a talented woman?

There is a slight feminine quality to his features