Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

hedwig

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 15, 2008, 07:35:11 PM
Day 15

Yes, Hedwig, there are some good horror films. This is one. Think of it as Fatal Attraction is David Lynch directed it. The story is about looking for and finding that one person who understands you, then turning into every man's nightmare when that 'perfect' woman is not who you thought she was. For the most part, the film is a build-up and mystery about who this woman is, and you buy into that mystery wanting to know as the lead character does. And when you find out, that's when the fun begin. Both cringe-worthy and hilarious, it's a film that goes "deeper" than a average girlfriend-from-hell flick.

that's more like it!

as long as i don't wake up tomorrow and see this:

Day 16

SiliasRuby

Yeah, don't see 2...its Horrible! Just Plain Freaking Horrible. At least the first one had some camp to it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

hedwig

SiliasRuby

Yeah, the first one, sure.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Day 16

Not one of the best Stephen King adaptations, but one of the better ones. There's a lot of set-up leading to the killing spree (about 40 minutes worth), but once Old Yeller From Hell gets his first taste of blood, it's feeding time. From that point on Dee Wallace is perfect in this role. The boy gets a bit annoying, but it only adds to the madness she has to deal with inside the car and out; you feel so much for her in the situation she is put through and are always rooting for her. The film is a little dated, especially the score, but all that falls by the wayside when the excellent suspense and gore kicks in.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Day 17

Imagine a website that gets inside your head, knows you by name and what scares you the most. Yeah, I too thought this was a film about xixax.com, but sadly it is not. What is it with wrongly killed souls and their laziness? Instead of going after the killer themselves, they scare the shit out of innocents and get the living to do their dirty work for them to solve the crime. While the film has a nice look to it, the story is a rehash of what we've seen before. The police investigation is very trite and is basically a series of conversations that take great leaps in putting the pieces together; it's more like very obvious exposition to explain to the audience what's going on. Law & Order this is not. It has a few great images, but as it goes on they just look like bad performance art pieces.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Day 18

It's amusing to watch Steve McQueen take the part so seriously in this camp classic; like he's channeling James Dean from Rebel Without A Cause. The flick is pure 50's schlock horror at its best; in fact, I was surprised how it was scarrier and more suspenseful than most of the films I've watched so far. The special effects on the Blob itself actually hold up really well. Noticiable are the influences this film has had on a lot of modern movies; Men In Black, Creepshow and The Mist come to mind.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Day 19

Excellent. Unnerving. The subtitle is quite apt. It is a character study. The film is less concerned with the killings themselves and more about the acts leading up and the aftermath. There's a wonderful technique of showing the dead bodies and using the soundtrack to convey how their death occured. It's a great introduction to Henry and as the film goes along you actually feel sympathetic towards the guy because you understand him. But all of that is quickly erased because the movie does remind you he is still a killer.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

That's good to know. I do want to see that.

After a few years of recommendations on here, I finally rented "Near Dark." It was pretty fucking awesome. A very cool take on the vampire genre. And Bill Paxton is absolutely nuts.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Day 20

Sort of a Fatal Attraction meets Misery thriller. Most notible because it is Eastwood's directorial debut, and he does a nice job, but you can see he is still getting his bearings; like starting off the third act with a documentary-like sequence on the Jazz Festival that breaks the flow of tension. But Jessica Walter does a tremendous job as his "#1 fan;" equally creapy and mesmerizing. The story is probably more appropriate today than it was back then with celebrity stalkers. Worth checking out.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Day 22

We're on a roll now, Hedwig. Review in its own thread:
http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=10012.msg267179#msg267179

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

has anyone reviewed "eraserhead" in these threads?

Fernando

Now that you bring Lynch, would any of you (mac, squints, etc) consider TP: Fire Walk With Me a horror film or some of the episodes in the series for that matter*?

For me it has a lot of horror elements but I don't know if it can be categorized as such.

* I'm thinking the last episode of S2 and moments in the black log and when bob appears.

edit: Can't believe mod hasn't reviewed one single film, did he run out of skulls? Maybe this year he's skull-less...

Reinhold

Quote from: mogwai on October 23, 2008, 10:39:32 AM
has anyone reviewed "eraserhead" in these threads?

is eraserhead considered horror?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.