underrated pop music

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 03, 2003, 04:06:39 PM

pookiethecat

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI hate Sheryl Crowe with every bone in my body. I can't exactly explain it.

try.
i wanna lick 'em.

mogwai

i'm with jerry here, i like her early stuff but then she went all lenny kravitz on us and now she totally blows shite.

Raikus

I loved 'Tuesday Night Music Club' but after that she started going downhill. Now she's either too popish or too country.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Gloria

I like her new song 'First cut is the deepest.'  I really liked her when she made The Globe Sessions.  She's been hit and miss.

SoNowThen

Yeah, she did peak with Globe Sessions. The live album was nice, but hurt from too many guest stars. The new album could have been good, but again, guest stars just cheapen the whole affair.

I think Riverwide is her best song. Though, I Shall Believe is pretty damn good, too.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pookiethecat

"can't cry anymore" is her absolute best.   i encourage anyone and everyone to download that song.

the thing about sheryl is that her image fucking sucks.  she's packaged as this completely glammed up soulless lite rock goddess(prolly why jeremy blackman hates her).  but her music is just so infectious and good.  
i wanna lick 'em.

Quote from: GloriaI like her new song 'First cut is the deepest.'  I really liked her when she made The Globe Sessions.  She's been hit and miss.

you mean Cat Stevens'  "First cut is the deepest"?
context, context, context.

Gloria

Quote from: chuckhimselfo
Quote from: GloriaI like her new song 'First cut is the deepest.'  I really liked her when she made The Globe Sessions.  She's been hit and miss.

Yeah...its a remake...but she did a good remake of it.

SoNowThen

So did Rod Stewart. Another guilty pleasure of mine.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: Gloria
Quote from: chuckhimselfo

Yeah...its a remake...but she did a good remake of it.

I wouldn't dare to hear it , not only is Cat Stevens sacred to me, but i don't have a P2P program to get the song    :(

changing the subject, you know who i consider a genuine pop band?  The Flaming Lips.   kudos to those crazy, crazy fellas.
context, context, context.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: SoNowThenSo did Rod Stewart. Another guilty pleasure of mine.

I was riding in my wife's car, and we were listening to her pop radio station, and this song came on.  The DJ introduced it as, "...this is Cheryl Crow with Rod Stewart's 'The First Cut is the Deepest.'  True story.

And then, all of a sudden, our car ran off the side of a 2000 ft. cliff and exploded in mid-air.  That was a lie.

SoNowThen

Ah, that reminds me of the time I came to high school listening to Kashmir, and someone said "I love that Puff Daddy song".

:roll: People...

Myxo

Quote from: GhostboyI think Justin Timberlake's 'Cry Me A River' is incredible.

:yabbse-lipsrsealed:

phil marlowe

Quote from: halo_on
Quote from: GhostboyI think Justin Timberlake's 'Cry Me A River' is incredible.

:yabbse-lipsrsealed:

wow halo, why are your lips sealed? what are you trying to say?

whatever, cry me a river is pure magic. all you hipsters go back and sob to your belle and sebatian records.

mogwai

Quote from: phil marlowewhatever, cry me a river is pure magic. all you hipsters go back and sob to your belle and sebatian records.
ha, that's such a easy choice for me.