ROBERT DE NIRO underrated

Started by Alexandro, October 14, 2003, 10:12:11 AM

Duck Sauce

no sweat. he'll beat it. lets hope him a fast recovery and that he finally realizes how short life is and does some good movies (with PTA, Pacino and Nicholson)  

i can dream

get well soon

warmly,

Duck Sauce

ElPandaRoyal

Now I got fucking scred when I read that title... "De Niro Diagnosed With Prostate Cancer"!!!

Long live Bobby D.  8)
Si

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumNow I got fucking scred when I read that title... "De Niro Diagnosed With Prostate Cancer"!!!

Long live Bobby D.  8)

That's from getting f***ed in the ass so many times by the Hollywood studios over the years...

SoNowThen

In a perfect world, Marty would be standing over Bobby's bed right now, going "see Bobby, that's what happens when you turn down my films to do a bunch of crap pictures", then Bobby would sign a contract to work in the rest of Scorsese's pictures 'til heaven take them both.

Anyway, whatever happens,

Get Well Soon RD.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick
Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumNow I got fucking scred when I read that title... "De Niro Diagnosed With Prostate Cancer"!!!

Long live Bobby D.  8)

That's from getting f***ed in the ass so many times by the Hollywood studios over the years...

No no.... prostate cancer is from getting his prostate infected by cancer...
Si

ShanghaiOrange

He probably was all like: "Hey prostate cancer! You infectin' me? I'm the only prostate here. Who the fuck do you think you're infectin'?"
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

cine

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeHe probably was all like: "Hey prostate cancer! You infectin' me? I'm the only prostate here. Who the fuck do you think you're infectin'?"
I was going to say something along those lines yesterday but decided not to. But doesn't it sound funny?

I bet he did do it too..

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum
Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick

Long live Bobby D.  8)

No no.... prostate cancer is from getting his prostate infected by cancer...

It sounded funny though...  :shock:

MacGuffin

When Will De Niro's Hide and Seek Start Filming?
Source: FilmJerk

On Monday, October 20, Robert De Niro announced that he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He was scheduled to begin shooting 20th Century Fox's Hide and Seek, with Famke Janssen and Dakota Fanning, around that same time. Filming was of course postponed, but it now appears for not that long. FilmJerk writes:

Twelve days after Robert De Niro announced that he had been diagnosed with a treatable form of prostate cancer, and one week after producers announced that his next feature, "Hide and Seek," would be pushed back from its original October 27 filming start date, FilmJerk.com has confirmed that the 20th Century Fox production will now begin January in New York.

The thriller, written by Ari Schlossberg and to be directed by John Polson, centers on a young girl who loses her mother at an early age. Her father soon discovers that she's coping with the death in an unusual and ultimately terrifying way.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Find Your Magali

"Once Upon a Time in America" might very well be my favorite performance by Bobby D.

Ernie

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeHe probably was all like: "Hey prostate cancer! You infectin' me? I'm the only prostate here. Who the fuck do you think you're infectin'?"

Lol! "You infected me a little bit, just a little bit. You were a little out of line."

De Niro will never die. Best actor ever. I gotta mention Awakenings cause I don't think anybody else has yet. That's an underrated role for both him and Robin Williams. Great movie.

cine

No it wasn't mentioned yet but yes, that is a great movie. Another one worth mentioning is his performance in Mean Streets. One of my favourites for sure.. I love really early De Niro.

Alethia

his early work with depalma is funny.

Ravi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3562792.stm

US Italians attack De Niro prize

Italian Americans have objected to plans to give actor Robert De Niro honorary Italian citizenship, saying his Mafia roles give them a bad name.
Italy's culture ministry plans to make De Niro an Italian citizen during the Venice Film Festival in September.

But the Order Sons of Italy in America asked Italy's government to reconsider.

It said: "[We] hold him and his movies responsible for considerably damaging the collective reputations of both Italians and Italian Americans."

'Unbalanced portrayal'

The Washington-based group said that since starring in The Godfather II in 1974, De Niro has "made a career of playing gangsters of Italian descent".

This has given a "distorted and unbalanced portrayal of people of Italian heritage", the group said.

It added: "He has done nothing to promote Italian culture in the United States."

De Niro was born in New York after his great-grandparents emigrated to the US from Ferrazzano, in Italy's central Molise region, at the end of the 19th Century.

He will be at the Venice Film Festival to promote Shark Tale, an animated film produced by DreamWorks about a shark mob boss and featuring characters with Italian names.

The Order Sons of Italy in America (Osia), which has more than 600,000 members, objected to the animated shark character voiced by De Niro in the new film.

"From our conversations with DreamWorks and from what we have seen to date from the studio's own website, promotional material and trailer, this movie will perpetuate the image of Italian Americans as Mafia gangsters," Osia said.

"We are especially concerned since this movie is directed at children who are particularly susceptible to absorbing negative stereotyping."

Italy's culture ministry and DreamWorks were unavailable for comment on Friday.

Osia has previously criticised the portrayal of Italian Americans in TV programmes such as The Sopranos.

Alethia

people must get really fucking bored sometimes