Love, Simon

Started by WorldForgot, March 18, 2018, 11:48:01 PM

WorldForgot

Adapted from young adult novel 'Simon vs the Homosapien Agenda' by Becky Albertalli, and not a film intended for the xixax palate, this article on 'progressive banality' gets at why that is probably, I think it's important. We may see it make a dent in the coming of age genre. If you go watch the film you may find that's also deserved, in the way the audience interacts with its John Hughes riff-rom forumla. The performances are twee and they know it, giving in to the nancy meyers-esque sort of dramedy logic is essential. It's one of those. A comfort flick, for sure.

As a movie which aims to be politically engaged, cathartic, trigger conversation, I figured I'd open a thread in case any of y'all catch this with your nephews or cuzzoz or while babysitting or something.
Quote from:  brad in CMBYN threadMainstream gay movies often beat the same 'coming out' drum, but there's no big agenda here. This is an honest and raw love story you revel in, much like Phantom Thread.
This is that msm film, not a Guadagnino joint.

jenkins

i think you did a good job making this thread, btw. i enjoyed reading the article and your post.

WorldForgot

Thankz jenks <3

There are a few good pieces going around about the film rn. This one here is my favorite, perhaps.

This film is important to me for a lotta reasons, but it's also a teen rom com where even the throw-away jokes make me laugh. Costume choices and the very-very-game supporting cast go a long way in making these archetypes stick. At the homecoming game the songs the marching band plays in the background are exactly the stand tune choices you 1)know are gags and 2)are gags you might have pulled yourself. Same goes for most of the hormonal cringe. It's a delight.

ono

This was such a joyful uplifting film and something I really needed. It's one of my favorites of the year so far. Going in I didn't think I'd have anything in common with the protagonist and therefore it wouldn't be my cup of tea but then I saw all these good reviews of it and I think the feelings are universal, and that's why it works so well.  I wish I was lucky enough to have friends like these in high school. I think these are very idealized experiences but that's what makes the film work so well too is you want to idealize this time and either relive your own dramas or live vicariously through other people's experiences. The antagonist, if you can call him that, is kind of cringey but I guess it's necessary to push forward the drama of the film. I wish I could get around that. Had a big crush on the brunette female lead. She's gorgeous and will probably go on to do much bigger things. Actually the black girl is gorgeous as well. The whole cast was I guess you could say, which is to be expected of a Hollywood type film, come to think of it. Tony Hale's vice principal was really funny, except for the final cringe-worthy scene in his office which kind of missed the mark but I guess that might have been the point.