Check this out folks... (another list) Guardian list

Started by SoNowThen, November 14, 2003, 10:56:31 AM

©brad

Quote from: NEON MERCURY::leans back in his chair cracks open a beer(light beer) and gives a smirk::

HA!....RIGHT AFTER I STARTED THAT THREAD ABOUT "SOMETHING THAT IS TRUE BUT NO ONE ADMITS'..BAM!!THIS LIST POPS UP ABOUT MY MAN LYNCH BEING NUMERO UNO...! I TOLD YOU GUYS THIS........ :wink: ......LYNCH IS THE BEST ..I CANNNOT STRESS TO THESE SO-CALLED 'FILM BUFFS' ENOUGH THE GENIUS OF HIM..MAYBE SOME OF YOU GUYS NEED TO WATCH SOMETHING ON YOUR LEVEL..HAY!!!THE LAST SAMURIA IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER..GO SEE THAT THEN..... :wink:

as for the wachowshi's that just stupid..if ther're on that list what about mcG..??
or danny devito..

EAT MY FUCKING SHORTS.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: ©bass
Quote from: NEON MERCURY::leans back in his chair cracks open a beer(light beer) and gives a smirk::

HA!....RIGHT AFTER I STARTED THAT THREAD ABOUT "SOMETHING THAT IS TRUE BUT NO ONE ADMITS'..BAM!!THIS LIST POPS UP ABOUT MY MAN LYNCH BEING NUMERO UNO...! I TOLD YOU GUYS THIS........ :wink: ......LYNCH IS THE BEST ..I CANNNOT STRESS TO THESE SO-CALLED 'FILM BUFFS' ENOUGH THE GENIUS OF HIM..MAYBE SOME OF YOU GUYS NEED TO WATCH SOMETHING ON YOUR LEVEL..HAY!!!THE LAST SAMURIA IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER..GO SEE THAT THEN..... :wink:

as for the wachowshi's that just stupid..if ther're on that list what about mcG..??
or danny devito..

EAT MY FUCKING SHORTS.

cdumbass.........ENVY...such a  awfull sin.....

RegularKarate

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: ©bass

or danny devito..

EAT MY FUCKING SHORTS.

cdumbass.........ENVY...such a  awfull sin.....

wait, CBrad is envious of your close-mindedness about the Wachowskis?

Alexandro

Quote from: SoNowThenRemember, it says 40 Best Directors "leading the way". It's a NOW list. From 1999 on, I'd say the Matrix was quite a bit more important and "leading the way" than AI, Minority Report, and Catch Me If You Can.

E.T. and Schindler's List are still more important than The Matrix...
what's the matrix contribution, really?? the cool special effects that everyone's been imitating?? is it supposed to be some kind of landmark just becaus it has some brains in it?? spielberg has been doing smart and entertaining movies way before the wachowski brothers...he has en enormous influence in the industry, and he's still experimenting and challenging himself, making different kind of movies and staying true to what he wants, instead of thinking on audiences both intelectual or mainstream...he's been growing as an artist in our eyes, getting darker, and better....

SoNowThen

For fuck's sakes, does the word RECENT mean anything to you? Of course I agree that he'd be more imporant than the Wachowski Bros on an all time list. But this is not that list. This is saying: right now, who's leading the way in terms of directors.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alexandro

Quote from: SoNowThenFor fuck's sakes, does the word RECENT mean anything to you? Of course I agree that he'd be more imporant than the Wachowski Bros on an all time list. But this is not that list. This is saying: right now, who's leading the way in terms of directors.

I really think that RECENTLY or whatever, Spielberg is leading the waya lot more than the Wachowski Brothers...specially after The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions, I don't think they're really leading shit except big trucks loaded with cash to their homes...(not that I didn't thought Revolutions was kinda cool by the way)...

I think, too, that Minority Report and Catch me if You Can are proof of a tremendous artist at the peak of his game showing how to get the shit done. And A.I. is still an underrated masterpiece. They all also happen to be box office hits. He should be on the list at least more than the Wachowski Bros and Terrence Malick...

modage

Quote from: AlexandroI don't think they're really leading shit except big trucks loaded with cash to their homes...(not that I didn't thought Revolutions was kinda cool by the way)...

hahaha, thats fucking hilarious.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: SoNowThenFor fuck's sakes, does the word RECENT mean anything to you? Of course I agree that he'd be more imporant than the Wachowski Bros on an all time list. But this is not that list. This is saying: right now, who's leading the way in terms of directors.

Shouldn't Peter Jackson be on that list over the Wachowski Bros?

Or M Night, I wouldn't say that The Matrix films are any better than his 3 films.

I'd even put Mendes ahead of the Wachowski Bros.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Agreed, Jackson should most definitely be on the list, instead of Malick. Like I said, I love Malick, but yeah, for the now, PJ is the man.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alexandro

Indeed...

a guy who makes one of the most succesful trilogies of all time (both critically and economically) and gets paid 20 million dollars to direct his next film is leading a lot of stuff...He should be there...why isn't he???

Maybe he was snubbed just like Spielberg because he makes blockbuster films that doesn't include references to all the religions of the world and don't have entire sequences just to show off their revolutionary special effects...

SoNowThen

but his movie shows off one religion of the world and does contain revolutionary effects....

I hope all this LOTR attention will bring PJ some critical re-evaluation of  The Frighteners. I liked that flick a lot...

Alexandro

Quote from: SoNowThenbut his movie shows off one religion of the world and does contain revolutionary effects....

I hope all this LOTR attention will bring PJ some critical re-evaluation of  The Frighteners. I liked that flick a lot...

You're right, but in The Matrix films, specially in the 2 sequels...a lot of time they're just showing off. It's like: "hey, look at this cool sequence", meanwhile, in the LOTR films, everything seems perfectly integrated to the story...

SoNowThen

That's 'cause they're working off some of the best source material of all time. It would be very hard to fuck it up.

Something I noticed and liked about the LOTR behind the scenes on the dvd, is that they treat the text like it's the bible. There's so much respect for what is written. Yet, if some screenwriter sold something to a studio, everyone would undermine it and fuck with it, etc. We need more respect for what's written (and perhaps more thorough writers)!!

SHAFTR

I love Scorsese, but if he is #2, Spielberg should be on that list.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

soixante

No Altman, Godard, Polanski?  All of them are working in top form.  They don't make flashy films like Lynch and Coen Bros.

Scorsese is much better than Lynch.  Lynch is more of a cinematographer than a filmmaker.  His films have very little substance.

The Coen Bros. are the most overrated filmmakers in the business.
Music is your best entertainment value.