moving the camera setting up shots?

Started by prophet, October 09, 2003, 12:18:35 AM

prophet

I want to take a class on how to setup shots how to move the camera,  just the technical side of  filmmaking, not directing or writing but just camera work. What is this field called? Is it still the DP'
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

aclockworkjj

Quote from: prophetWhat is this field called?
mine was called.."Basic Elements of Filmmaking I".

...though don't trust the teacher, as they have already failed.
Quote from: prophetIs it still the DP'
a DP is more of a photographer than anything.  Not so much a decider of scene setup and composition.

Ghostboy

The director knows what he wants his shots to look like, and communicates this to the DP. The DP works with the camera operator and dolly grip in setting up and executing the movement of the camera, and with the gaffer and grips in setting up the lights. If you learn how to DP, though, you'll learn how to do the other stuff too.

MacGuffin

Quote from: prophetWhat is this field called?

Cinematography
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

metroshane

Do a little research on the topic of "mise en scene".  Go to the library, not just the net.

That's the term (in Shanespeak) for the way you compose within the image frame.   That should learn ya about things such as the rule of threes, or that good guys enter from the left, bad guys from the right.  Then it teaches you that once you know the rules, break them often.

Here's a decent tutorial.

http://classes.yale.edu/film-analysis/htmfiles/mise-en-scene.htm
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Pedro

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Pedro the WombatJust rip off Touch of Evil
that's one hell of a long opening shot to rip off... :wink:

Pastor Parsley

You can definitely learn a lot from a class, but you might as well read up on it and see where it takes you.  Books will give you the basics, experience will fill in what you are missing, then a class should give you the instruction needed to pull it all together (if you have a good instructor).  There are some good books that will teach you the basics...5 C's of Cinematography by Joseph V. Mascelli is a good place to begin and I've heard Cinematic Motion: A Workshop for Staging Scenes
by Steven D. Katz is also good for the basics (i've never read it though).

cowboykurtis

composition can not be taught -- your wasting your fucking money -- a dp job is to light, not set the shot up.
...your excuses are your own...

warmstepvision

Well the basic properties and design qualities of composition can in fact be taught though if there is no understanding of the guidelines it is not needed. Having an eye for the shot is what mainly controls the way you compose and analyse a shot. Composition guidelines would be something that would add on to the way you want to touch the shot and the one after next. Cinematic technique is invisible when you watch a greatly photographed film. Unless there is no perception of the guidelines there is no major help in learning composition. I also think dp's job is not entirely  technical though lighting, sound, camera is critical, dynamics, continuity of content and orientation is important to portray the film at its best.