Greatest Films Ever

Started by MacGuffin, May 22, 2005, 04:32:21 PM

Reinhold

seriously, who's even watched that in the last year? (not counting if it's ur first time watching it cos then ur just a cinematic idiot or too young to be on this site)

edit: i watched it when one of my friends got the special edition. ... i think that it was some time in the last year.

i love the movie. i don't think it's #4 ever material, though.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

soixante

The list is interesting.  At least it is far-ranging -- the top ten includes Fight Club and His Girl Friday.  Quite often, these sorts of lists are rather stodgy, and feature the same films over and over.  Film is a continually evolving medium, and films that don't appear to be classics upon initial release might eventually join the ranks of Citizen Kane and The Godfather.

I think it takes ten years to really see how a film holds up before calling it a classic.  How will Saving Private Ryan play in 2008?  Will Million Dollar Baby be well-regarded in 2014?

There are always stuffy academicians and critics who decry the present state of film, and always complain about how they don't make 'em like they used to.  I recall in the 70's critics were always bitching about the wretched state of current cinema, and now the 70's is regarded as a golden age.

I think the 90's will be regarded as another golden age of cinema.  I think there is a lot of great stuff in this decade, too.

I guarantee you, 20 years from now, critics will be saying, "They don't make 'em like Sideways and Waking Life anymore -- those were the good old days of classic cinema."
Music is your best entertainment value.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I love Magnolia to pieces, but I don't watch it everyday.  I have probably seen Fight Club more than Magnolia because it's quicker.

I think Fight Club was an amazing movie because it encompasses so many different tastes, and gives people something to think about, even if the message is different for everyone.  It might not be the best movie for movies like Citizen Kane was, but it definitely revolutionized the way a lot of people looked at story, cinematography, etc.

It was a popular film that was a bridge for a lot of people into a deeper appreciation for "weird movies" to find out Fight Club is anything but weird.  Fight Club was kind of like Bowling For Columbine in the sense that it sparked a lot of conversation and inspired a lot of people to look into things because of the movie.  Fight Club was definitely not Straw Dogs, but it was Diet Straw Dogs Lite.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

JG

I personally like this list, despite the fact that I am not a Fight Club fan.   Finally, we have critics who aren't afraid to say that some of the classics just aren't nearly as good if you take away the "influential factor."   Goodfellas is one of my favorite movies of all time (at least in the top 10), and that has nothing to do with me not seeing enough movies.

As for Fight Club, I'm not a big fan other than the cinematography.   However, I do think--like Pulp Fiction--it will be one of those movies that marks our generation.  It's unfortunate, because I think Magnolia, a vastly superior movie, will be one of those forgotten classics.  I mean I don't know how much cult status Magnolia really has, at least compared to Fight Club.

Interesting least to say the list.

life_boy

Here's the rest of Total Film's Top 100 List.  

1 GoodFellas
2 Vertigo
3 Jaws
4 Fight Club
5 The Godfather Part II
6 Citizen Kane
7 Tokyo Story
8 The Empire Strikes Back
9 The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
10 His Girl Friday
11 Persona
12 Chinatown
13 Manhattan
14 Taxi Driver
15 It's A Wonderful Life
16 The Apartment
17 Once Upon A Time In The West
18 All About Eve
19 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
20 Apocalypse Now
21 Crash
22 Sunrise
23 The Godfather
24 Rear Window
25 Sunset Boulevard
26 The Third Man
27 Some Like It Hot
28 Raging Bull
29 La Regle Du Jeu
30 Reservoir Dogs
31 Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid
32 Les Enfants Du Paradis
33 Star Wars
34 The Searchers
35 A Matter Of Life And Death
36 2001: A Space Odyssey
37 Touch Of Evil
38 Badlands
39 Monty Python And The Holy Grail
40 ET: The Extra-Terrestrial
41 The Last Picture Show
42 One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
43 Heat
44 Annie Hall
45 Mean Streets
46 Nashville
47 Blade Runner
48 Singin' In The Rain
49 Pulp Fiction
50 It Happened One Night
51 Aliens
52 Sullivan's Travels
53 The Deer Hunter
54 Miller's Crossing
55 Kiss Me Deadly
56 The Shawshank Redemption
57 Sweet Smell Of Success
58 Die Hard
59 Blue Velvet
60 The Outlaw Josey Wales
61 Halloween
62 The Night Of The Hunter
63 The Matrix
64 The Conversation
65 8 1/2
66 Se7en
67 L'Atalante
68 This Is Spinal Tap
69 Sideways
70 Dawn Of The Dead
71 North By Northwest
72 The Terminator
73 Hoop Dreams
74 Raiders Of The Lost Ark
75 The Wild Bunch
76 Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
77 Lawrence Of Arabia
78 The Graduate
79 The Wicker Man
80 Day For Night
81 The Shining
82 Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
83 The Wizard Of Oz
84 Metropolis
85 The King Of Comedy
86 Kind Hearts And Coronets
87 Donnie Darko
88 Get Carter
89 Rio Bravo
90 Psycho
91 Dekalog
92 Back To The Future
93 Salvador
94 Magnolia
95 The Usual Suspects
96 Stand By Me
97 Trainspotting
98 Casablanca
99 Three Kings
100 Goldfinger

Gold Trumpet

Too random to be good. I think they're trying to sell issues.

polkablues

The list gives the impression of a group of people sitting around a table, calling out movies that they like and writing them down in the order of which they pop into their heads.

Not that that's any less legitimate a method of making a "best of" list than any other... but this is so random it's impossible to justify the particular placement of any of these films.  Maybe if they weren't ordered; if it was just "here's 100 great films", it would make more sense in that context.

EDIT: I just noticed that "Crash" is number 21 on the list... WTF?!?!!?!??!
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: polkabluesEDIT: I just noticed that "Crash" is number 21 on the list... WTF?!?!!?!??!

Yea, but which one? Actually, nevermind, neither deserve to be that high.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: polkablues
EDIT: I just noticed that "Crash" is number 21 on the list... WTF?!?!!?!??!

I did a double take with this as well - which Crash is it? (it almost doesn't matter - both are pretty mediocre in my opinion)

Both 2001 and 8 1/2 should be in the top 20.
...your excuses are your own...

cowboykurtis

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: polkabluesEDIT: I just noticed that "Crash" is number 21 on the list... WTF?!?!!?!??!

You beat me by a second - Damn you

JG

Oh God.  Crash.  Get Carter.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: JimmyGatorGet Carter.

with Caine not Stallone

modage

Quote from: JimmyGatorOh God.  Get Carter.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Donnie Darko over Psycho?!? Screw You!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

JG

Die Hard over 8 1/2.   Wow.