Best Male Performance: Philip Seymour Hoffman in CAPOTE

THE NOMINEES

Jake Gyllenhaal - Brokeback Mountain
Heath Ledger - Brokeback Mountain
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote
Viggo Mortensen - A History of Violence
Jeff Daniels - The Squid and the Whale

Jeremy Blackman

As much as I love PSH and admired him in Capote, I think he's had much better roles, and I think he does greater things than impersonation. I voted for Heath Ledger.  :yabbse-sad:

Fernando

Same here, I knew Heath didn't stand a chance but voted for him, his performance was superb.

©brad

Quote from: Fernando on April 18, 2006, 12:03:44 PM
Same here, I knew Heath didn't stand a chance but voted for him, his performance was superb.

heath definitely stood a chance. it was pretty close.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Fernando on April 18, 2006, 12:03:44 PM

Me too and for the same reason.

Sunrise

This was the toughest category for me. I voted for Viggo upon seeing his film again right before voting. It was just an incredible balancing act on display. But I could have easily voted for Ledger, Hoffman or Daniels.

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 18, 2006, 11:09:09 AM
As much as I love PSH and admired him in Capote, I think he's had much better roles, and I think he does greater things than impersonation. I voted for Heath Ledger.  :yabbse-sad:

I had really hard time deciding between the two--I don't feel quite so strongly that Hoffman has had much better roles as you, JB--but I also ended up voting for Ledger. Of the two characters/performances, I decided it was the tougher job and more of an achievement. Still, given the roots of this board, it's not surprising that Hoffman was a shoo-in.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Split Infinitive

On the bright side, the best thing about a tough category is that it's that much harder to be disappointed with the results.  The only one of the five that would have even marginally disappointed me is Gyllenhaal.
Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.

picolas

i also voted heath despite hoff being one of my favourites evar.