Favorite Directors?

Started by j_scott_stroup04, January 12, 2004, 04:11:48 PM

j_scott_stroup04

I'm sure this was a post at one point, I'm also sure that some fella is gonna come along and complain "wasn't this already a post?",  "jeez, why all these lists", and "blah blah blah I've gotta dick in my ass blah blah."  I was just wondering who the most common choice would be when asked who your favorite director is.  I'll give a top 10 list for myself....

1- Stanley Kubrick (can't deny THE MAN)
 2- Martin Scorsese
 3- David Lynch
 4- Quentin Tarantino
 5- Paul Thomas Anderson  (both him and QT will more than likely be my two favorites as their careers get going a little more, but for now, being as they both only have 4 films, they can't really be much higher than 4 and 5)
 6- Tim Burton
 7- Coen Brothers
 8- Orson Welles
 9- Ingmar Bergman
10- Akira Kurosawa

Honorable mentions: Jean-Luc Godard, Federico Fellini, Wes Anderson, Woody Allen, and Oliver Stone.

I'm sure most of my choices are common ones for those who tend to visit this site on a daily basis.
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

MacGuffin

This has been talked about before; stop making lists:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=606
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

socketlevel

you got a lot of safe choices there, i think the list should be top directors that are not well known or at least not mentioned all that often.  even directors laughed at but people are, in your opinion, stupid for not recognizing their brilliance.

like for instance:  Katshuro Otomo (AKIRA); George A. Romero (Night of the Living Dead); John Carpenter (owned the 80s); Godfrey Reggio (Qatsi trilogy);  Juan Carlo Fresnadillo (Intacto); and so on.

make a list like that, i wanna know about new directors or overlooked ones.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

j_scott_stroup04

I'm just gonna stop posting, since obviously my input has no validity whatsoever, so those of you who've enjoyed my posts (if there are any, that is) sorry, but have a nice life.   :(

MacGuffin

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04I'm sure this was a post at one point, I'm also sure that some fella is gonna come along and complain "wasn't this already a post?",  "jeez, why all these lists", and "blah blah blah I've gotta dick in my ass blah blah."

Quote from: MacGuffinThis has been talked about before; stop making lists:

My God, if you didn't see the joke...

Have a nice life yourself.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

j_scott_stroup04

This will be my official final post....I just have to make this point (which is a point that has already been made, knowing my batting average here)

If I would've picked all "unknown" directors, people would say I'm "trying to be different and that I don't really like those guys", if I would've put all "mainstream" filmmakers, people would have said I "don't know anything about cinema" and to "broaden my horizons".  So fuck it....I'm done.

j_scott_stroup04

Oohh...a joke, eh?  I didn't realize people on this site had a sense of humor.  Everybody takes everything so seriously.  I'm living proof... :oops:

j_scott_stroup04

I retract my posts that claimed I wasn't posting anymore... I'm just not in a very good mood right now, so that didn't help (because I didn't know that you were kidding).  As you can see by the starting post of this thread, I've already had my share of complaints about my forums, so I didn't take Mac's reply as a joke.  Sorry Mac, will you ever forgive me?

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04I retract my posts that claimed I wasn't posting anymore
You could've, you know, edited that out instead of posting again and again.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

NEON MERCURY

.......since i have brilliant tastes....i will share my top ten directors...if you wish to learn more about any of these directors...feel free to PM me....and we will talk about it over a bag of ginger snaps.and a glass of .grape flavored welch's.

lyncharonofskymallickptainnaritukubrickstonesoderberghtarantinocoenbrothers

socketlevel

man this is getting out of control.  sorry you're in a bad mood, it wasn't my intention to be an asshole, but since you got a redirect i thought i'd keep the thread going with a new flavor.  if you're offended, please don't be.  and keep on posting.

top ten unknown directors isn't exactly what i was looking for either.  it was only part of what i was getting at.  i do beleive however, if you did a thread like that you could avoid people calling you pretensiously different by explaining that you were trying to delve into a new topic.  bring up how you don't want to look pretensious is an easy way out.  mention that you're also interested in shit that hasn't been said on this site before.

it's funny cause most top ten directors are going to be the same people that have folders dedicated to them.  that's the very reason they have the folders, they're popular.

-sl-

p.s. to get redirects of your back just change the topic name on your first post.  this way it's a valid thread.
the one last hit that spent you...

Pubrick

J_whatever.. don't freak out over redirection, it might take a while to get used to,. but since we've talked about this before we're showing u the results of previous threads which had the same topic. freaking out over redirection is a common thing, and for most n00bs it's the most difficult thing to understand about xixax. this coincides with the second most confusing thing apparently, using the search function. the third is the idea behind EDITing ur post.. since u appear to hav trouble with all three things, i suggest u work them out before ur next freak out.

also, stop making lists.

Quote from: socketlevelp.s. to get redirects of your back just change the topic name on your first post.  this way it's a valid thread.
great advice. if only all new members were this perceptive.

i think i'm gonna lock this now.
under the paving stones.