Noah

Started by MacGuffin, November 04, 2006, 01:13:15 AM

MacGuffin

Darren Aronofsky Making Biblical Epic Next
Source: CHUD

The Fountain writer-director Darren Aronofsky has revealed to CHUD that he will next make a biblical epic, though he was mum on details.

He added that he will no longer direct Lone Wolf and Cub because Paramount Pictures never bought the rights. The film would have been a live-action version of the Kazuo Koike-created samurai graphic novel collection.

The full interview:

EXCLUSIVE! ARONOFSKY'S NEXT PROJECT TEASER.
By Russ Fischer

Last night Darren Aronofsky brought The Fountain to Atlanta. After the film, he did a Q&A moderated by some guy named Nunziata. I missed that, but did interview the director this morning. The full text of our 40-minute talk will be up soon, but here's a glimpse into what's next for the director:

Two part question: Will you do another studio film, and is Lone Wolf and Cub really dead?

Well, the big thing we're writing now is a studio film. Lone Wolf, Paramount never got the rights. And we developed a script, but now the rights don't exist.

That was so exciting for a moment there.

The new thing is even more exciting, and I'll give you an exclusive. I'm not going to tell you exactly what it is, but...it's a biblical epic.

In...Aramaic?

(laughs) In English!

What led you to that?

It's something I've wanted to do for a long time. Before Pi. Probably ten years ago, I had an idea. Actually, I wrote a poem about it when I was in 7th grade. I won this award for it -- my first writing award. So it's a story from the Bible that kind of stuck with me. About ten years ago I was at a museum that featured an exhibit that reminded me of it. So we've been trying to crack it for a while, and we finally figured out a direction. But...I can't tell you any more.

There's always that moment when a filmmaker gets to do the project they've wanted to do for a decade and...it rarely works. Are you afraid of that?

That's...I call that the fingerpaint syndrome. Remember when you were in kindergarten and you were painting, if you kept going too long it started to turn brown? So I'm always asking my crew, 'are we going brown here?'. And that was the challenge with the Fountain, and with anything you work on, and it'll be a challenge here too.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Aronofsky Eyes Biblical Epic Next
Source: Sci-Fi Wire

Darren Aronofsky, director of Pi and the upcoming SF epic The Fountain, told SCI FI Wire that his next film will be either a large-scale biblical epic with fantasy elements or a small, intimate film based in reality. "The next project we haven't announced yet, but ... we're working on ... something that's very, very big and something that's very, very small," Aronofsky said in an interview in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Nov. 11. "I just want to start shooting something in '07, because [The Fountain] took a long time, and I want to do something that's going to get me to set a lot quicker. I mean, [in] the last six years I've worked with actors for [only] 60 days, and I want to get back to set."

Aronofsky declined to discuss details of the big movie, which he said is an original idea. "We are working on something that's biblical in nature, and, luckily, that can mean a lot of different things." He added: "The big project is very, very fantasy-based. ... [And] all my fantasy stuff leans towards science fiction."

Earlier, Aronofsky told the C.H.U.D. Web site that he has been carrying the premise around in his head since childhood. Beyond that, the director won't say much. "They're in embryonic phases, and so if you start talking about it you kind of dispel the magic. For me."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Exclusive: Aronofsky To Direct Noah
The helmer goes from Fountain to flood..
Source: EmpireOnline

He likes a challenge, that Darren Aronofsky. After his megabucks arthouse sci-fi romance The Fountain had the plug pulled by studio Warner Bros, causing the writer/director to rethink it as a minibucks arthouse sci-fi romance, he's now planning to make something he describes as "huge".

"It's an adaptation of Noah's Ark," he exclusively reveals to Empire Online, "and I'm pretty much done with the script." But it's not, he insists, to be confused with the upcoming Evan Almighty. "This is not a comedy. It's funny, because Noah's always been done as a comedy. This is definitely more the sci-fi version. It's the traditional Noah story, but it's told in a serious way. More fantasy than comedy."

Don't hold your breath, though – sounds like Noah won't be going before the cameras for quite some time. Says Aronofsky: "I'm probably going to do something smaller first."

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 30, 2007, 01:08:15 PM
Says Aronofsky: "I'm probably going to do something smaller first."

Like...i dunno...maybe a Vonnegut adaptation?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Kal

Could be cool to see an epic like that from the point of view of this guy... but I dont think the studio will let that happen with such a big film. I'm guessing this will end up in a battle between the directors cut and the studio cut or some other major problems along the way.

MacGuffin

Darren Aronofsky's Noah
Source: SlashFilm

In this week's three part interview with Darren Aronofsky, the filmmaker shared some new details on his long in the works religious epic Noah. I've been getting e-mails all morning from /Film readers wanting to know more, so I thought I'd bring you a history of everything we know about the project.

The idea originated ten years ago, even before Pi, when Aronofsky saw a museum exhibit. But the director's fascination with Noah's Ark began when he was only 13-years-old. Aronofsky won a United Nations poetry competition at his Manhattan Beach, Brooklyn school. The poem was about the end of the world as seen through the eyes of Noah. When Brad Pitt abruptly left The Fountain just weeks before principal photography, Aronofsky took some time off and began to develop a variety of different projects, one of them being the Noah screenplay. Aronofsky told The Guardian in April 2007:

"Noah was the first person to plant vineyards and drink wine and get drunk. It's there in the Bible - it was one of the first things he did when he reached land. There was some real survivor's guilt going on there. He's a dark, complicated character. The tragedies we perform on each other are so well reported. Quite clearly, the planet is dying, and we are dying on it."

And today we learned in the third part of our exclusive interview, that Darren wrote the screenplay with Fountain co-writer and college friend Ari Handel.

"We have an amazing screenplay," Aronofsky told /Film. "It's a great script and it's HUGE. And we're starting to feel out talent. And then we'll probably try and set it up."

Big and Huge are the words Aronofsky uses to describe the non-traditional English language biblical epic. But what gets me excited is Aronofsky's passionate pitch:

"It's the end of the world and it's the second most famous ship after the Titanic. So I'm not sure why any studio won't want to make it," said Aronofsky. "I think it's really timely because it's about environmental apocalypse which is the biggest theme, for me, right now for what's going on on this planet. So I think it's got these big, big themes that connect with us. Noah was the first environmentalist. He's a really interesting character. Hopefully they'll let me make it."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Darren Aronofsky Shops Noah's Ark Epic
BY MIKE FLEMING | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: I'm told that town is tantalized by a package circulating with Darren Aronofsky directing Noah, an edgy re-telling of the Noah's Ark story. Aronofsky wrote a script that is getting a rewrite by John Logan. I've heard he wants $130 million to make it and that New Regency is eyeing a co-financing role. Suitors considering stepping up for the other half include Paramount and Fox, as well as Summit, I've heard. It was described to me as a big fantasy epic, and an opportunity for Aronofsky to create a world. He's very passionate about it and wants to make it next film, after dropping out of The Wolverine. Aronofsky's got more heat on him than ever after directing the spectacularly profitable Black Swan, which grossed $315 million worldwide on a $12 million budget. His move toward Noah comes after Aronofsky recently flirted with Exodus, the 20th Century Fox and Chernin Entertainment-produced telling of the story of Moses, his defiance of the Pharoah and delivery of the Hebrews from enslavement. That script was written by Adam Cooper and Bill Collage. Beyond an ill-advised morphing of the Noah's Ark story into the Universal spinoff comedy Evan Almighty, nobody has tried to tell the Noah's Ark story in as ambitious a manner as Aronofsky intends. Will a studio step up to help Aronofsky build this boat on as grand a scale as he desires? Stayed tuned. Aronofsky and Logan are repped by CAA.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Two of every scarf!

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Christian Bale In Talks To Star In Darren Aronofsky's 'Noah'
Source: Playlist

Though "Black Swan" elevated Darren Aronofsky from talented arthouse director to a helmer with box office clout and awards season cachet, that doesn't necessarily make a film like "Noah" any easier to finance. Announced as a strong candidate for his next film, the project has been in the works since at least 2007 and earlier in the year, it was revealed that Aronofsky was collaborating with comic book artist Nico Henrichon on a graphic novel take on the tale to spur interest in feature adaptation. Well, the gambit worked. The $130 million dollar film already has New Regency staking half of the cost and should this bit of casting come though, expect Paramount, Fox and Summit to start falling all over each other for the opportunity to pay the rest of the bills. Vulture reports that recent Oscar winner Christian Bale is in talks for the lead role in "Noah." This isn't the first time Aronofsky and Bale have been linked, as the director was involved in the early stages of "The Fighter" before leaving the production and being replaced by David O. Russell. And the rest, as they say, is history. But it seems the two got on, and a Bale/ Aronofsky pairing sounds very exciting. Of course, should Bale sign the film wouldn't likely to shoot until very late this year or in early 2012. The actor will be busy with Christopher Nolan in "The Dark Knight Rises" for much of the remainder of 2011, but joining "Noah" would undoubtedly assure studios of a strong foreign box office and big star to drive the Biblical film—a genre which can be a tricky sell. At the very least, we know Bale can grow one helluva beard and if the actor is manning the ship as the flood waters rise, we'll gladly come aboard.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Paramount Near Deal To Provide Safe Harbor To Darren Aronofsky's 'Noah'
BY MIKE FLEMING | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount is moving closer to signing on for Noah, the big-ticket re-telling of the Noah's Ark story that will be the next film from Black Swan director Darren Aronofsky. Deadline told you early this month that CAA was shopping the picture. Bidding came down to 20th Century Fox and Paramount, both of which were vying to partner with New Regency, which has been involved all the way through the process. Aronofsky wrote a script that is being rewritten by Gladiator scribe John Logan. Noah might only have gotten got a few pages in the Bible, but Aronofsky has turned it into a sprawling fantasy epic that will cost north of $100 million. Aronofsky dropped out of The Wolverine after his long-gestating Black Swan finally came together and grossed $315 million worldwide on a $12 million budget. What a time to mount a dream project, when you've just generated one of the most profitable movies in recent memory. This will take a few days to crystallize, but I'm convinced that Paramount will emerge as the partner on the picture. New Regency is closely aligned with Fox, but I believe the company will still play a role in the funding of the picture. More to come on this one.

Skeleton FilmWorks

cronopio 2

i wish bad things to this project. i hope this movie ends up being so bad that it invalidates black swan to the people who loved it.
honestly. i don't know what to make of a director that goes from a wrestling movie to a ballet movie (to a comic book superhero movie) to a bible epic. i know it's not valid criticism to some but he really lost me with black swan. that movie , to me, represents the death of (some parts of) cinema.

Reel

Quote from: cronopio 2 on June 27, 2011, 07:19:37 PM
he really lost me with black swan. that movie , to me, represents the death of (some parts of) cinema.

what, how? I don't get it..

I don't really care about this story either, but then again I guess its none of my business.

Gold Trumpet

Crono, in the original thread, you targeted Black Swan's predictability (which I don't believe is very important), but is there anything else you want to add which better helps to explain that last comment about the death of cinema?

cronopio 2

i promise i'll soon do the excersise of rewatching it with pen and paper and take notes of everything i dislike.