ELF

Started by Banky, June 22, 2003, 06:16:24 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Weak2ndActSure, it's kind of corny in a Xmasy, let's have holiday spirit kind of way

Oh God I hate that. It's like baseball movies.

Ernie

Quote from: Weak2ndActZooey Deschanel is good as always (she sings too, dunno if that means anything to anyone).

Fuck yeah, are you serious!? That's going to be GREAT! I've always wanted to hear her band, she's in this indy girl band. She plays the ukulele (come on, there is a thing called "too cute"). I don't think they've ever released a cd, glad I'll finally get to hear her.

I can't wait to see this. Will Ferrell is brilliant. This one site, I don't remember what it was, maybe it was AICN, this one reviewer called it a christmas classic. I've heard it references that creepy, disturbing, dark (or at least I've always thought so) stop motion Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer movie that I grew up with. I love it but I'm serious when I say it's dark. It covers a lot of subjects. Like the Island of Misfit Toys, that always fucked me up. I have to see that movie again. It scared the hell out of me.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ebeamanI've heard it references that creepy, disturbing, dark (or at least I've always thought so) stop motion Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer movie that I grew up with

See: MadTV.  :-D

cine

:lol: Hell yes. Old school MadTV.. that, and Clops.

Lucinda Bryte

Quote from: tremoloslothI think this movie looks depressingly unfunny

Agreed.

Sleuth

Quote from: Lucinda Bryte
Quote from: tremoloslothI think this movie looks depressingly unfunny

Agreed.

I don't know, hearing reviews and the new trailer makes me want to see it now, though.
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

"your car is pretty"

funniest line in a trailer this year
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

Tied only with "I like to whisper too."

Banky

i think this movie is gonna be non stop laughs if you like Will ferrels comedy.  i saw a clip on Letterman and it was nothing that has been in the trailers and it was fucking hilarious.  I think this movie is gonna be great and im gonna go see it when it comes out.

modage

dont!    you have to wait till AFTER thanksgiving, or you'll ruin it!  the christmas season, contrary to greedy businesses everywhere does not start till AFTER thanksgiving.  seeing christmas movies out of season will likely ruin the experience.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Banky

im not seeing it because it is a christmas movie

modage

yeah, but it IS a christmas movie.  and meant to be viewed as such.  (see: Jon Faverau's thoughts on trying to make a 'lasting' holiday movie by consulting his friend Peter Billingsly of A Christmas Story).  let the studio know that you dont want to see a christmas movie in october or early november.  

case in point of EVIL: last year on HALLOWEEN disney ran a marathon of christmas cartoons/shows ALL DAY LONG.  now, that seems pretty fucking nutty, doesnt it?  why did disney do this?  OOOOOOOOOH because their big holiday turd The Santa Clause 2 was opening on NOVEMBER FUCKING 1ST!! those sunsabitches, trying to stretch those grosses for as long as they can.  and it worked too.  

i know that stores have been rolling out the christmas shit since october, but LOOK AWAY!  that christmas feeling is not meant to last 3 months or 2 and wont.  ONE month, so observe the rules, thank you.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

I agree with the one-month rule.

I'd be willing to see Elf under duress (saw Bob Newhart on the daily show last night, clip looked pretty unfunny), but I'm not going out of my way.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Banky

go to www.elfmovie.com and check out the new clips.   The "Worlds best cup of cofee" line killed me

Ghostboy

I FINALLY saw this this evening. And I loved it, of course. Will Ferrell aside, the script is actually a pretty good family Christmas movie, up until the ending, where it just tries too hard to be all Christmas-y. But darn it, something about the Christmas spirit thing always makes me happy. So anyway, on to Will Ferrell, who is, and I don't think I'm alone in thinking this, OSCAR WORTHY. Okay, maybe not quite Oscar worthy, but gee whiz is he great here. You think that World's Best Cup Of Coffee scene is hilarious? Just wait. If he wasn't already a total superstar, this movie would be the one to make him one.

Also, when Ebeaman sees Zoe Deschanel singing in the shower, he's going to cream his pants. Twice.

Then he's going to get very angry about how someone twice as old as Zoe, like Ferrell, ends up with her in the end.