SO FAR LAST YEAR 2007 (TWO THOUSAND AND SEVEN)

Started by cron, July 09, 2007, 09:39:28 PM

squints

Quote from: Gamblour. on December 30, 2007, 12:45:54 PM

Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone

If you like these guys. You should seriously consider this band: www.myspace.com/thenonband
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

Quote from: Gamblour. on December 30, 2007, 12:45:54 PM
Probably would've liked Spoon, The National, Arcade Fire, Spirit If, Okkervil River if I had listened to them.
i already sent these to Gamblour but if anyone else feels this way i came across these albums on a blog... 

arcade fire- neon bible: http://www.mediafire.com/?fribyy63icn
the national- boxer: http://www.mediafire.com/?2oxu1yyldtd
okkervil river- the stage names: http://www.mediafire.com/?endnt1vx89v
spoon- ga ga ga ga ga: http://www.mediafire.com/?3y4zwlooxwx

feel free to give them a listen.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Quote from: bigideas on December 30, 2007, 01:54:07 PM
i didn't know anyone else here knew about Eisley. they live fairly close to where i work, so over the years i have got to see several local shows before Room Noises came out.

Back when Yahoo Music used to have their "What's Next" section highlighting upcoming artists, one of the videos I saw on there was Eisley's "Marvelous Things", and I went at bought their album the next day.  Then I bought "Combinations" on iTunes the day it came out.  They're one of a handful of bands right now that I'm automatically willing to buy whatever they put out.
My house, my rules, my coffee

tpfkabi

Quote from: polkablues on January 01, 2008, 11:49:09 PM
Quote from: bigideas on December 30, 2007, 01:54:07 PM
i didn't know anyone else here knew about Eisley. they live fairly close to where i work, so over the years i have got to see several local shows before Room Noises came out.

Back when Yahoo Music used to have their "What's Next" section highlighting upcoming artists, one of the videos I saw on there was Eisley's "Marvelous Things", and I went at bought their album the next day.  Then I bought "Combinations" on iTunes the day it came out.  They're one of a handful of bands right now that I'm automatically willing to buy whatever they put out.

you do know they just put out an iTunes only EP?
3 b-sides, 2 live cuts i think.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gamblour.

Oh yeah I forgot Cryptograms was released this year. That's a great one.
WWPTAD?

tpfkabi

i think everything's been mentioned one time or another, but this:

you might like it if you like(d) Blur and it's funky.
another Albarn project...

Jeremy Blackman

Now that I've had a chance to catch up...

Radiohead - In Rainbows
No explanation needed.
Favorite tracks — Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, Videotape, All I Need, Nude. Really, everything except Snatchers.

Múm - Go Go Smear the Poison Ivy
Mindblowing. I don't exactly have the words to describe this now, but it's nearly perfect. Definitely my favorite Múm.
Favorite tracks — A Little Bit, Sometimes; Marmalade Fires; Winter (What We Never Were After All); Rhuubarbidoo.

Low - Drums and Guns
Hypnotic, beautiful, melodic pieces about war (real or figurative). It's all so articulate, and the lyrics are very sharp. Some really interesting/creepy images. Genius throughout. And there's a special kind of concision going on here... I love how they're not afraid to keep the songs nice and short. This is a grower.
Favorite tracks — Always Fade, Murderer, Hatchet, Belarus.

Ween - La Cucaracha
Classic Ween with mainstream twists. This album is sort of mixed, but I think some of it is among the best they've made.
Favorite tracks — Lullaby, Blue Balloon, Your Party, Friends.

Tegan & Sara - The Con
This album is also a bit mixed, but when it's good, it's really freaking good.
Favorite tracks — Like O, Like H; Call It Off; Dark Come Soon; The Con.

Justice -
I've listened to this album many many times (just because there's so much to hear), so some of it annoys me now. But I can't argue with it. I love the feeling of urgency/climax.
Favorite tracks — Genesis, One Minute To Midnight, Phantom Part II, Valentine.

The Go! Team - Proof of Youth
I like the band's concept, and I love many of their songs. These tracks are smashed together a bit more coherently than those of previous albums.
Favorite tracks — Grip Like A Vice, The Wrath of Marcie, Patricia's Moving Picture.

The Apples In Stereo - New Magnetic Wonder
Insert hyperbolic Beatles comparison here.
Favorite tracks — Energy, Same Old Drag, Sunndal Song.

Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
The vocals annoy me sometimes, but the music is just too good.
Favorite tracks — You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb, Finer Feelings, The Underdog, Don't You Evah.

Björk - Volta

I was disappointed/depressed/angry about this one at first, but I think I'm coming to terms with it.
Favorite tracks — Wanderlust, Earth Intruders.

I like all of these albums, but I'm most passionate about the top 6. I heard 2 and 3 only recently, and I'm forcing myself to put them down right now so I don't wear them out.

I've listened to or sampled pretty much everything on every respectable person's list, and I have to say there were a lot of disappointments. Neon Bible? No Cars Go is a great song, but for the rest of the album, all the throwaway lyrics and uninteresting tunes completely turned me off. Fake Empire blew me away, but the rest of Boxer put me to sleep. That was actually the most baffling contradiction of them all. Savannah Smiles is a really good song, but the rest of The Stage Names makes me pretty sick. Their clever-for-the-sake-of-being-clever shtick is really disappointing.

Also, I'm getting tired of The White Stripes.

Jeremy Blackman

Uh-oh, what's this?

edit: it's the Múm album. works better if ppl know what it is. refer to picolbug's edit elsewhere about the same thing.

brockly

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 21, 2008, 02:52:43 AM
Múm - Go Go Smear the Poison Ivy
Mindblowing. I don't exactly have the words to describe this now, but it's nearly perfect. Definitely my favorite Múm.

i only heard this recently and it really is mind blowing. FWANO is still my favourite of theirs, and some days my favourite album ever (i think its just because its easier listening and has a more eternal feel), but this one is getting better with every listen. really amazing stuff. mum and ween are two of my favourite bands but every time they release something new it slips by me and i dont hear about it until several months after its release.. i spend too much time listening to the same music. its only the third album ive heard from 07 that i would call great, though i still havent heard the new ween, but now ive definitely got some new stuff to look into since ur one of the few members here who's music picks i consistently dig.. although i still dont get all the spoon love :yabbse-undecided:

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 21, 2008, 02:52:43 AM
Low - Drums and Guns

i own one of their albums, great destroyer, and i actually didnt care for it much, though ive been meaning to give it another try. how does this one campare to that?

cine

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: brockly on February 21, 2008, 07:32:46 AMi own one of their albums, great destroyer, and i actually didnt care for it much, though ive been meaning to give it another try.

I could only get into a few of the songs on Great Destroyer. I think this one is more consistent and more interesting, and it's growing on me like Great Destroyer didn't.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 21, 2008, 05:22:18 PM
Quote from: brockly on February 21, 2008, 07:32:46 AMi own one of their albums, great destroyer, and i actually didnt care for it much, though ive been meaning to give it another try.

I could only get into a few of the songs on Great Destroyer. I think this one is more consistent and more interesting, and it's growing on me like Great Destroyer didn't.

Drums and Guns was my first Low record and I liked it well enough to start asking what to get next. The recommendation I got was for Things We Lost in the Fire. I will probably order it with my next Amazon order.