So Far This Year, Vol. 4

Started by MacGuffin, June 27, 2006, 11:43:28 AM

w/o horse

Quote from: samsong on December 20, 2006, 11:58:34 AM
my definitive year-end top ten (for now)

1. my dad is 100 years old
2. INLAND EMPIRE
3. syndromes and a century
4. old joy
5. three times
6. marie antoinette
7. art school confidential
8. l'enfant
9. woman on the beach
10. mutual appreciation

Ah where do you live and is there a spare bedroom.

L'Enfant
Half Nelson
Little Miss Sunshine
Volver
I think there was another I really liked but what was it.
Maybe Shortbus.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Ghostboy

Quote from: samsong on December 20, 2006, 11:58:34 AM
my definitive year-end top ten (for now)

1. my dad is 100 years old
2. INLAND EMPIRE
3. syndromes and a century
4. old joy
5. three times
6. marie antoinette
7. art school confidential
8. l'enfant
9. woman on the beach
10. mutual appreciation

Hey, that's my list! Except I haven't seen Syndromes And A Century (I'm dying to, though -  I love Tropical Malady), Woman On The Beach (definitely am excited about this one) or Art School Confidential (just plain missed it). I'd throw Pan's Labyrinth on there and then bump everything down a notch and put Army Of Shadows on at the top, even though it was a re-release.

soixante

I've only seen 10 films from 2006, so my No. 10 would be my No. 1 worst film of the year.

Oh well, here's my list, which will change each week:

1. A Scanner Darkly -- just saw it on DVD, much better than I expected it to be.  What inspired casting to have Downey playing a guy who is bouncing off the walls (and ceiling), hemp advocate Harrelson is a burn out, and Keanu, who always seemed stoned in his other movies -- in this one subtext becomes text.  Linklater even quotes his own Dazed and Confused by inserting Rory Cochrane, who was zonked out in D&C, as an even more zonked out guy in Scanner.  Also, Linklater outdoes the other Philip K. Dick adaptations by focusing on banal details of everyday reality, rather than going for the grandiose visual splendor of Ridley Scott or Steven Spielberg.

2. Wassup Rockers -- Larry Clark does a Hispanic version of Kids.  Or you could say it's The Swimmer with skateboarding Hispanic kids.

3. Harsh Times -- Christian Bale plays the Deznel role in a de facto remake of Training Day, and he does it superbly.

4. Flags of Our Fathers

5. The Departed

6. A Prairie Home Companion

7. Bubble

8. Inside Man

9. Thank You For Smoking

10. Art School Confidential

Music is your best entertainment value.

pete

when the levees broke
the hidden blade
volver
half nelson
little miss sunshine
the science of sleep
block party
the devil and daniel johnston
three times
tristram shandy

the king
babel
b13
election 2
miami vice

two gondry and three garcia-bernal.  I haven't seen that many foreign films this year, 'cause I kinda stopped working that lowly indie theater job.  I should go back.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

JG

i've seriously abused my theater going duties in the last month so theres five or six that i need to se which i think will fill out my list. 

i probably have a solid top 7, but the year's not over. 

Xx

pete

contour should be on everyone's list.  'cause I made it.
- Buster Keaton

nix

Still waiting for Pan's, Little Children, Volver, Children of Men, Island Empire, to land in Nashvegas. Can't make a truly honest top ten until.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

pete

still a few more movies to see (catching up on my foreign films via internet downloading programs) but I think Exiled by Johnnie To deserves to be on everyone's list.  So far, no North American distributor though.  Imagine Takeshi Kitano's sensibilities blending with Taxi Driver-esque shootouts in a cluastrophobic hong kong.
- Buster Keaton

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: pete on December 26, 2006, 12:31:06 AM
contour should be on everyone's list.  'cause I made it.

That box kick at the end is too good...

I Don't Believe in Beatles

You're in the wrong thread...
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

The Red Vine

"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">