films that influenced PDL?

Started by tpfkabi, March 28, 2003, 09:09:39 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: KLMNOP on March 15, 2013, 12:31:23 PMOkay, sorry for resuscitating a dead thread from a decade ago.

Nothing wrong with that. Thread necromancy is a fine art.

Lottery

Playtime ist hyper-modern masterpiece.

SailorOfTheSeas

I was watching Barry Lyndon yesterday, and was taken a back by how much it reminded me of PDL. The two Barry's are pretty similar too in some ways...both a bit oblivious and crap in terms of not-fucking-up. Both adults who haven't really adjusted and remain confused and a little bit useless until they really "stand up for themselves" and start to supposedly gain more competence.

For some more similarities, think of the scene where Barry from PDL breaks the glass windows, and the scene where Barry from BL throws his glass at the man marrying his cousin. How the family react is all really similar. When Barry is threatened by the 4 brothers and when Barry is robbed by the father and son...I'm starting to think Barry Lyndon was a reasonably prominent influence on PDL. I'm not sure i even have to mention the shared name.

im sure one could do a much more in depth analysis and comparison but these are just some basic thoughts i had from last night

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I'm gonna go ahead and say Dustin Hoffman in "The Graduate" had something to do with Barry's DNA. The stilted talking, the awkward movement, the cutting off of people in conversation at times. I've noticed it before but never had the chance to share it.