Nicolas Winding Refn

Started by gob, November 23, 2006, 04:37:05 AM

72teeth

Fear X with John Turturro... never seen it, or anything by NWR, but Drive is currently tied with Melancholia for most anticipated film, so i got some catching up to do...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Reelist on August 26, 2011, 06:24:36 PM
Quote from: Pozer on August 26, 2011, 11:21:45 AM
anyone know how to get Bleeder in the Americas?
I caught some of Valhallia Rising, pretty gruesome. I don't know if I'm interested in seeing the rest of that. What has he done besides 'Drive' that doesn't have subtitles? I'll watch that.
Bronson, which I love. But if you see that, you should watch Valhalla shortly after.

Does anyone have a clue as to when his films will be available on BluRay?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Reel

Quote from: 72teeth on August 26, 2011, 07:27:39 PM
Fear X with John Turturro

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on August 26, 2011, 07:42:41 PM

Bronson, which I love. But if you see that, you should watch Valhalla shortly after.

ok, thanks guys! Jeez, he's got quite the filmography. I thought he was a young'n.

squints

Quote from: 72teeth on August 26, 2011, 07:27:39 PM
Fear X with John Turturro

had no idea he did that. i hated that movie.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reel

ok, well scratch Fear x, Bronson it is! ( better title anyway )

I don't know why, but outside of Spike Lee/Coen Bros films, I just don't like John Turturro.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

theyarelegion

I really liked his Pusher trilogy set in Copenhagen (especially the last one), they're good movies with great performances...

MacGuffin

Carey Mulligan To Star In Nicolas Winding Refn's Sex Thriller 'I Walk With The Dead'
Source: Playlist

If you need an indication that the colorful A-list cast of Nicolas Winding Refn's hotly-tipped genre noir "Drive" got on with the Danish filmmaker like a house on fire, look no further than Refn's next few projects for proof. Shooting next, the Bangkok-set neo-Western "Only God Forgives" will also star lead "Drive" actor Ryan Gosling (alongside Kristin Scott Thomas), the "Half Nelson" actor is also developing a "Logan's Run" remake with Refn, and there's even been talk of a romantic comedy for the duo that would be written by "Drive" heavy Albert Brooks.

Add one more to the pile. At a ceremony on Saturday that took place at the Deauville Film Festival in France where Refn was accepting an award for Ryan Gosling, the director said he's found the lead to his gestating sex thriller, "I Walk With the Dead," the female lead of "Drive," Carey Mulligan.

Details of "I Walk With the Dead" are scarce. Refn first revealed the existence of the project in an interview with The Playlist in 2009 while doing the press rounds for his meditative Viking epic, "Valhalla Rising."

And apparently the film already has its financing from French investors. "I've always wanted to make a movie with lots of sex," he told us at the time. "So I wrote this story called, 'I Walk With the Dead' and it takes place in Miami and it's just going to have a lot of sex in it. I have two films that are getting made with French investors and one is 'Only God Forgives' and one is 'I Walk With the Dead.' "

During the same conversation, the filmmaker, who made a splash in the U.S. in 2008 with his stylish prison film "Bronson," revealed that he was also set with Channing Tatum to star alongside Harrison Ford in the Paul Schrader-penned project, "The Dying of the Light," but the deals fell apart "over a weekend" a few months earlier.

At the time, Refn indicated to us that placing "Drive" at the head of his queue suddenly didn't change anything as funding was in place so he could make the two films whenever he saw fit. Now with the addition of Mulligan as his female lead in "I Walk With the Dead," we imagine he's beginning to take the first steps in making this picture a reality. More details as we get them.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 03, 2011, 11:30:14 PM
Source: Playlist

During the same conversation, the filmmaker, who made a splash in the U.S. in 2008 with his stylish prison film "Bronson," revealed that he was also set with Channing Tatum to star alongside Harrison Ford in the Paul Schrader-penned project, "The Dying of the Light,"

Okay, the way that's written, it's saying that Refn was going to star in the movie alongside Tatum and Ford, and I'm pretty sure that's not what they were trying to say.

I should have just stopped reading at
Quote from: MacGuffin on September 03, 2011, 11:30:14 PM
Carey Mulligan To Star In Nicolas Winding Refn's Sex Thriller

Because I was sold at that point.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilder

This is a pretty nice write-up for the uninitiated.

wilder

Refn's top ten Criterions

For the love of fuck, Criterion, put The Pusher Trilogy on blu.

wilder

Nicolas Winding Refn Talks Making 'Only God Forgives' & Considers Tokyo Setting For Horror 'I Walk With The Dead'
via The Playlist

The film is one that once again finds Refn boldly moving into a new territory, in a script that his star Ryan Gosling has already said is the "strangest thing" he's ever read. The story centers on Julian (Gosling), who has lived in exile in Bangkok after killing a cop ten year ago. With his brother, he runs a Thai boxing club as a front for the family's drugs smuggling operation run by his Florida based Mom, Jenna (Kristin Scott Thomas). However, his brother gets into hot water when he murders a prostitute, and the cops call on retired cop Chang -- aka The Angel Vengeance -- to weigh in on the matter. And things get considerably sticky and bloody from there.

Shooting in Thailand has invigorated the Refn, who is clearly in awe of Bangkok. "I love this city. Sometimes it feels like the sets of 'Blade Runner,' " he said. "I could eat Thai every day, buy lots of toys, robots, movie posters. Yesterday I found two original posters for...'Godzilla.' Sublime." The director all took time to address the depature of Luke Evans, who was originally slotted for the lead role. "From the beginning, I had the idea of a thriller produced as a western, all in the Far East, and with a modern cowboy hero. I was lucky, Ryan Gosling has accepted the role when Luke Evans withdrew. He preferred to star Peter Jackson's 'The Hobbit'...Luke Evans' agent has probably done him a great service."

Refn's film are remarkable in many ways, but perhaps one of the most interesting aspects of his productions is that the director chooses to largely shoot chronologically. It's a practice he used on "Drive" and that he continues with this film. Working quickly, he eschews storyboards and notes, and often edits scenes the same day he shoots them (not unlike Steven Soderbergh). "I hate the idea that the film is over before we started shooting," Refn said. "I spent whole nights finding places in Bangkok. Especially in Chinatown, where most of the film unfolds. We saw dozens of nightclubs, each more kitsch than each other, the walls covered with carved paneling, thick velvet, with flowers in colored plastic gueulardes, erotic statues or classic gold...they give me ideas for scenes. It's like the neon lights in the streets, forming strange perspectives. No one realizes that once on site. Then I decide, and always by instinct."

But that's not to say he leaves his other movies behind as he shoots. Refn explains to Liberation that one scene in particular will mirror the strip club sequence in "Drive" where Driver confronts an assailant with a hammer and a bullet as the dancers look on in horror. "Only God Forgives" will feature a sequence in which Chang assaults a man in front of a dozen young women. "...There I had to find something else, then I did the opposite. They close their eyes, like dolls in a toy store, while a horrible thing unfolds before them," Refn explains about how he flipped the scene around.

And for what's next, Refn confirms it will be the horror movie/sex thriller "I Walk With The Dead," which will reunite him with "Drive" co-star Carey Mulligan. The details of the story are under wraps for now, but Refn reveals he's already eyeballing potential settings. "We signed a deal with [producers] Gaumont and, for distribution, Wild Bunch," the director said. "In essence, we make two films for the price of one. The budget for 'Only God Forgives' is $3.5 million. We exceed [that] perhaps a bit, but really not much. The second film is a horror movie...'I Walk With the Dead.' We'll turn to Los Angeles or Tokyo."

But for now, Refn is busy with "Only God Forgives" and editing as he shoots means he's working fast, and as he recently teased, we could be seeing the film as early as the Venice Film Festival this fall.

Reel

What's Gaspar Noe doing there, supplying Ryan Gosling with Pain pills?