Nicolas Winding Refn

Started by gob, November 23, 2006, 04:37:05 AM

theyarelegion

Jeremy Blackman

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

theyarelegion

spoiler alert: in my opinion, Pusher III is the best of the trilogy... (really?)

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

MacGuffin

'Drive' Duo Ryan Gosling & Nicolas Winding Refn To Re-Team For Romantic Comedy
Director And Star Trying To Push Albert Brooks To Write
Source: Playlist

Though his Cannes Best Director winning film "Drive" doesn't hit theaters until the fall, director Nicolas Winding Refn is already lining up a future project with his star Ryan Gosling. In addition to their remake of "Logan's Run," the two have announced plans to make yet another film together, this time a romantic comedy. Refn has already announced the plot of his next film, "Only God Forgives," but recently told the L.A. Times that he and Gosling are hoping to work again on a comedy project in the near future. As if that news wasn't earth-shattering enough for you, Refn and Gosling are trying to persuade "Drive" co-star Albert Brooks to write the screenplay.

Refn told the Times, "It's a romantic comedy set in New York, which seems like a great place to start." He didn't give any other details, but this might be a terrific idea considering the positive buzz Gosling is getting for his first real comedic performance in this summer's "Crazy, Stupid, Love." However, it may all just be a kernel of idea right now. "We're doing a comedy, and Albert Brooks promised he'd write the screenplay," Refn he also said. "Well, that's not exactly true. But print it and we'll make it true."

"We're definitely going to do a comedy, and we're trying desperately to get [Brooks] to write it," Gosling clarified. Brooks hasn't yet commented on the project, but considering his performance in "Drive" is already getting talk of an Oscar nomination, hopefully he'll be just as eager to get back to work with Refn.

Refn's previous films, like "Valhalla Rising" and "Bronson," have been rather dark, but have given him plenty of respect among critics and significant attention within the industry. A romantic comedy is not the type of genre you would expect the director to go after, but the same could be said for Gosling who will hopefully impress us as a Lothario-turned-tutor opposite Steve Carell in "Crazy, Stupid, Love." With any luck, this could be the start of a wonderful, regular artistic collaboration between an auteur like Refn and one of today's most talented actors.

"Drive" hits theaters on September 16th and with "Only God Forgives" set to shoot later this summer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

Nicolas Winding Refn Wants To Cast Christina Hendricks As His 'Wonder Woman'
via The Playlist

Warner Bros. has been hoping that the void left by the imminent end of the "Harry Potter" franchise would be filled by the stable of DC Comics characters they own: "The Dark Knight" is already a billion-dollar hit, and any number of similar characters are in various stages of development, including a new take on Superman, "Man Of Steel." But things didn't get off to a good start this weekend, with the filmmaking-by-committee of "Green Lantern" severely underperforming, and looking unlikely to make its money back theatrically.

However Warners may have a savior on the horizon. Danish auteur Nicolas Winding Refn, who's made serious waves in the last few years with films like "Bronson" and "Valhalla Rising," has made no secret of his desire to direct a film based on the third of DC's 'big three' characters, "Wonder Woman," a character who, remarkably, has never starred in her own movie, and is best known from a 1970s TV show. Refn started talking up his genuine desire to bring magic lassos and invisible jets to the big screen last year, saying "I would say that Wonder Woman is probably something that, to me, would be not just a satisfaction, but almost a [catharsis], and I was born to make it." And now, the director seems to have picked the actress he'd like to wear the bulletproof bracelets.

Vulture was at the LA Film Festival premiere of Refn's Hollywood debut, the Ryan Gosling thriller "Drive," and talked to the director about "Wonder Woman." The helmer pointed to "Mad Men" star Christina Hendricks, who has a supporting role in "Drive," and told the site that "If I get to do it, she's going to be it." Hendricks seems to want to do the project as much as Refn, saying in an interview last year that "I've been wanting to wear that outfit my whole life ... I had Underoos — I had Wonder Woman Underoos."

Of course, right now, this is all optimistic talk: there's no deal in place for anyone, and no "Wonder Woman" big-screen project formally in development at Warners. But things are looking a hell of a lot more likely now than they were a year ago. Refn's playing the long game on this one, confessing that he took "Drive" partly to boost his bankability with studios, saying that "I have this dream concept: I want to make 'Wonder Woman' as a feature. And I thought in order get to access to that I should probably become a bit more Hollywood-friendly." Furthermore, the helmer's already signed on for his first tentpole, looking likely to direct Gosling in a remake of "Logan's Run," at, yes... Warner Brothers.

Furthermore, the allegedly awful "Wonder Woman" TV show that Ally McBeal creator David E. Kelley was working on never got past the pilot stage, which can only help matters. It's clear that Refn is serious about his dream project, and, with early word on "Drive" being that it's both an artful noir and a crowd-pleasing action-thriller, we reckon that the studio are seeing the director as a more plausible candidate with every passing day. Whether they feel the same about Hendricks is another question, but Chris Hemsworth has proved that you don't have to be an A-lister to star in a successful superhero flick, and she'd certainly be a great choice.

We happened to talk to Refn on the red carpet ourselves, and he spilled the beans both on current and upcoming projects. The director revealed that his main inspiration for "Drive" was James Sallis' source material, telling us that the book "is about the concept of the mythology of cinema. I thought that that was interesting to do a movie about that in Los Angeles, which essentially is the capital of illusions. So it became my own kind of movie about films."

We also asked him about his next film, "Only God Forgives," a Bangkok-set noir starring rising star Luke Evans and Kristin Scott-Thomas. The director told us "It's going to be in Asia, it's going to be hot, and it's going to be a lot of fun. It has a lot of violence and a lot of red colors." Why red? "Because I'm color blind." After that, he confirmed that he would direct "Logan's Run," with the Gosling/Refn bromance continuing on that film: "Ryan Gosling and I are married for a long time."

With all that in mind, plus another Gosling project, a romantic comedy potentially penned by Albert Brooks, in the pipeline, if he does get the "Wonder Woman" job he wants so much, it may be a while off just yet. In the meantime, you'll be able to judge the director's action chops for yourselves when "Drive" hits theaters on September 16th.

squints

Quote from: wilderesque on June 20, 2011, 03:19:18 PM
looking likely to direct Gosling in a remake of "Logan's Run," at, yes... Warner Brothers.

I didn't know about this and I'm really disheartened. I have dreamed of remaking Logan's Run forever. A shot for shot remake starring Matt Berry. Oh well.... :(
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

Quote from: squints on June 21, 2011, 11:57:32 AM
I didn't know about this and I'm really disheartened. I have dreamed of remaking Logan's Run forever. A shot for shot remake starring Matt Berry. Oh well.... :(

but the Logan's Run remake is a Hollywood legend.  It's been in the works for over 20 years, passed around from director to director.

Sleepless

Suddenly very interested in this guy. I've got the Bronson DVD but was only able to get half-way through on my first viewing. Is it better to watch it drunk? I saw the clip from Drive that's online and fuck that looks good. I was expecting a generic car chase movie, but that shit was tight yo.

Have mixed feelings about Logan's Run. I don't think it should be done. How can you remake the sexiest movie ever?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

squints

Quote from: Sleepless on June 21, 2011, 12:52:13 PM
Have mixed feelings about Logan's Run. I don't think it should be done. How can you remake the sexiest movie ever?

By putting Matt Berry in it! I'm serious here people!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Kellen

squints

Pozer

finally saw Pusher. number one only so far. damn this guy is good. his characters, his music cues. nothing new to say, i'm late to the party. wilderesque is the first person i seen talk about Refn so thanks to wilderseque.

documentary feature on the DVD that follows him trying to work the financings for his next films after going bankrupt after making three films is real good.   

cant wait for II & III to get here. anyone know how to get Bleeder in the Americas? course i've only checked netflix for i dont leave the house too much these days.

Reel

Quote from: Pozer on August 26, 2011, 11:21:45 AM
anyone know how to get Bleeder in the Americas?

well, if you can't find it you can always rely on it being downloadable: http://thepiratebay.org/search/bleeder/0/99/0

I caught some of Valhalla Rising, pretty gruesome. I don't know if I'm interested in seeing the rest of that. What has he done besides 'Drive' that doesn't have subtitles? I'll watch that.