I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

Stefen

Quote from: wilderesque on March 24, 2011, 06:35:21 PM

The Talented Mr. Ripley is regarded as a masterpiece around here. By everyone except Gold Trumpet at least!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

The Talented Mr. Ripley is fine. I just can't overvalue a straight homage thriller. It looks different compared to other films made in 1999, but it has historical tendencies that are well documented. Besides a lengthier story, I'm just not sure what the film really does that is all that different. For me, it's the Shawshank Redemption of thrillers.

Stefen

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 24, 2011, 09:03:52 PM
For me, it's the Shawshank Redemption of thrillers.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

And that Night of the Hunter set is awesome. I've been going through it the last two days and it's really superb. Another set that deserved the xixax award over the Social Network blu-ray.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

wilder

The Talented Mr. Ripley is fine. I just can't overvalue a straight homage thriller. It looks different compared to other films made in 1999, but it has historical tendencies that are well documented. Besides a lengthier story, I'm just not sure what the film really does that is all that different. For me, it's the Shawshank Redemption of thrillers.

For me the thriller element is the least interesting part about the movie. The psychological war path that a character like Ripley creates is far more fascinating. What he wants as a character is so different and so much more psychologically complex than most characters you see in movies. He is so flawed that even in obtaining the very thing he wants, he can never achieve happiness. He consumes people.

"I always thought it'd be better to be a fake somebody than a real nobody."

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on March 24, 2011, 09:11:05 PM
For me, it's the Shawshank Redemption of thrillers.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Actually, I don't. Shawshank Redemption is candy and hard to not watch when it's on TV, but most aware audience members know a lot of cliches are in play with the story. They accept it, but it refines how they feel about watching the film. I don't think Talent Mr. Ripley gets enough refinement. I like the movie a lot, but its praise is a little too unchecked for what it is. That's all.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: wilderesque on March 24, 2011, 09:15:54 PM

For me the thriller element is the least interesting part about the movie. The psychological war path that a character like Ripley creates is far more fascinating. What he wants as a character is so different and so much more psychologically complex than most characters you see in movies. He is so flawed that even in obtaining the very thing he wants, he can never reach achieve happiness. He consumes people.

"I always thought it'd be better to be a fake somebody than a real nobody."

Hitchcock had flawed characters as interesting as what we see in Talented Mr. Ripley. His films were just more formulaic plot driven. The Talented Mr. Ripley plays out like a drama and so the story is extended more, but the characterization never digs beyond what Hitchcock established in his archetype of tormented sexual soul. The Talented Mr. Ripley feels more important, but the difference is in its presentation. The film reinforces every level of Hitchcock identity to his portrait of Ripley. I see how the new dramatic roll out makes the story feel more novel, but the film never breaks free from its suspense bust. For that, I align it with too many other thrillers.

wilder

The drama of Ripley definitely ends about halfway through, and then it's a "will he or won't he" get caught game...

I'm surprised you don't like it more...there are commonalities with Night of the Hunter, in terms of an enemy coming into your home wearing the face of a friend. The means are similar but the end goals are different. All my favorite movies deal with this theme, A Face in the Crowd, too. But in Night of the Hunter it's for money, in Ripley a question of identity, and by extension, love, and in A Face in the Crowd a question of power. All these characters using their influence and trust for devious ends.

You seem to be partial to the movies that invent these things, GT. Am I wrong? Whatever follows can only walk in their shadows?

SiliasRuby

I'm just proud GT actually purchased a DVD. Pretty proud of myself that I haven't in what seems like a real long time.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: wilderesque on March 24, 2011, 09:36:41 PM
You seem to be partial to the movies that invent these things, GT. Am I wrong? Whatever follows can only walk in their shadows?

I don't know what I am partial to. I don't think about the connections movies share and what themes overlap and if I feel a predisposition. While I understand the line of your connections, I can still find differentiating strands between them. Of course, early history and timeliness helps a film like The Night of the Hunter, too. Still, I think there is more at play. Considering I'm planning a few articles on Night of the Hunter for my blog, I do plan to research my feelings more.

In the end, it is feelings. Like everyone else who tries to hang an opinion on thought, I feel like I have critical weight to support my position, but there is an ethos to any thought which asks why someone focused on the critical possibilities of one film over another when they may be relevant for both. I don't know if it's in question with Night of the Hunter and Talented Mr. Ripley, but it is in play between other films. For those unexplainable contradictions, I guess, it's all in the feelings of the viewer during that viewing.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: wilderesque on March 24, 2011, 10:45:54 PM
I understand. I appreciate you saying "my gut tells me different". That's more important than any logical conclusion when it comes to film.

Yea, but if going by your gut doesn't lead to an idea which can stand on its ground, your gut should not be talking. It's meaningless chatter to the outsider.

modage

doing a 30 day trial of amazon prime, so mostly pre-orders:

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Barry Lyndon and Lolita on blu ray? Awesome. I thought they were only going to be a part of that Kubrick boxset.

wilder

They've been informally announced as separate releases, but with no firm release dates. It's unclear if they'll come out the same day as the box set or if there will be a wait. Both are up for pre-order on Amazon.

mogwai

Reel

I gotta check out that Joe Strummer one. The Westway to the World Doc. was good too.