good movies too "proper" for you to dig

Started by pete, June 16, 2005, 01:50:55 AM

Gamblour.

Whoa now, Far From Heaven is great, or it was great when put in the perspective of all the Douglas Sirk films.
WWPTAD?

w/o horse

I'll defend The Hours as well, and not even just for John C. at the dinner table.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Stefen Posts Ghetto?Kevin Spacey is one of my worsts. I can't dig him. "Listen here, baby, if you don't like the way I act, you can leave, sugar"

yeah, i agree w/ spacey.  this dude kind of sucks....hes made a string terrible shit films ...just like travolta.  plus he plays the same character in each film..just about

lastly, JFK?!?!?!?!?!......ban that guy..please

w/o horse

If Oliver Stone is overrated, JFK is the most overrated.  No actually it's overrated either way.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Slick Shoes

I never saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding. It's probably good. Oh Well..

Ravi

Quote from: Slick ShoesI never saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding. It's probably good. Oh Well..

90 minute sitcom.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: petethat's 79 90 minutes too long.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Has disliking Citizen Kane become cool?  I know a bunch of people that want to go into film and don't like it but don't have much of a reason why.  This isn't to say if you're going into film, you need to love films like Casablanca and Seven Samurai, but it seems like people are rejecting these classics because it makes them seem unique to cast aside great films because they think they are on a different level.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

deathnotronic

Quote from: WalrusHas disliking Citizen Kane become cool?

I'd like to hope not. These people that you know are fucking stupid. Not in the sense that they don't like the movie, but what you're saying implies that they don't respect it. I'd like to draw a parallel by saying that's like saying, "I like Phillip Glass, but fuck man, I fucking hate Beethoven! That dude was a fucking shitty composer!"

To go into filmmaking and not at least respect, if not love your predecessors, the people who defined film before those kids were even living, is pretty dumb IMO.

Fuck, I can't believe that. I'm annoyed.

EDIT: Movies.
I fucking hate Forrest Gump. HATE.

pete

that is if you believe the history of film and music is linear.  it's perfectly reasonable to like phillip glass and hate beethovan.  same thing with disliking movies "back in the days".  why do filmmakers have to like citizen kane?  what does liking good movies have anything to do with making good movies?  that's a bunch of film school crap right there.  plenty of filmmakers love kane and still make shitty movies, can't the opposite happen?
not that I like kids who claim to hate citizen kane just to be cool.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

deathnotronic

Quote from: petethat is if you believe the history of film and music is linear.  it's perfectly reasonable to like phillip glass and hate beethovan.  same thing with disliking movies "back in the days".  why do filmmakers have to like citizen kane?  what does liking good movies have anything to do with making good movies?  that's a bunch of film school crap right there.  plenty of filmmakers love kane and still make shitty movies, can't the opposite happen?
not that I like kids who claim to hate citizen kane just to be cool.

But you're missing the point. All the power to them if they dislike it. I don't give a fuck. I think it seems like they're too cool to be paying respect where it's due and understanding that film could be different had this film not came out, etc. I think that's kind of bullshit.

Stefen

I don't think there is anyone who hates citizen kane, at least not anyone that takes film and filmmaking seriously. You may not think it's the greatest film of all time like some suggest but to hate it is a little absurd. Anyone who says they hate it can't really be taken seriously.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm not saying hating Citizen Kane is wrong.  I love plenty of movies my friends don't, and I can't expect all of our tastes to line up.  But it seems they so quickly dismiss Citizen Kane and Casablanca because they're classics, not because they don't like certain aspects about the films.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

No, hating citizen kane is wrong. You can't hate something thats good. Even if you think it's overrated, like me, but you can't hate it. Anyone who says "I hate citizen kane" is wrong, just wrong.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.