Criterion Nearing #200

Started by BrainSushi, March 09, 2003, 07:46:58 PM

BrainSushi

Criterion's already got 193 titles under it's belt (several haven't been released yet, but they've been officially announced) with just seven to go before they reach Spine #200, I'm wondering what we're going to see.

Any predictions as to what the next seven releases from Criterion will be? And Who will be the Illustrious #200?

Gold Trumpet

considering the focus section, a Kurosawa film could be a possibility.

knife in the water, the first polanski film, is rumored to be released sometime this year.

Rumor has it another Ingmar Bergman film will surface this year. The best available title from him, Persona, will definitely not be it. Rights issue.

Criterion also has a few Soderbergh titles that they are planning to release. Also, you can add some Rohmer titles there. and maybe even some more Traffaut and Fassbinder (Ali: Fear Eats the Soul?)

~rougerum

Duck Sauce

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet

Criterion also has a few Soderbergh titles that they are planning to release.

I havent heard of this, which ones?

Gold Trumpet

unpopular mid 90s work that includes Gray's Anatomy and Schilozoplis (or however you spell it).

~rougerum

sphinx

the limey please

(actually, it has a pretty decent edition that's currently out.  they could put some really crazy shit together about the editing of the movie, though)

Duck Sauce

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetunpopular mid 90s work that includes Gray's Anatomy and Schilozoplis (or however you spell it).

~rougerum

I really liked Schizopolis, I thought it was pretty creative. I havent seen it for awhile so a Criterion might force me too. Gray's Anatomy on the other hand.....  :?

Bud_Clay

There's a buncha Ozu that's on the way. Floating Weeds, Tokyo Story, Early Summer. I'm just hoping they release "Ikiru" & "Dodes 'Ka-Den" pretty damn soon. That would be amazing. And have I not heard rumours that Tarkovski's "Nostalghia" will be making it onto the criterion collection pretty soon? ....also, although I have no idea what it's about I've heard a lot of positive talk of the film "Rules of the Game"...maybe possibly getting a criterion release...dunno...maybe

Gold Trumpet

It won't be any of the Ozu films. Those are getting released in december or november at earliest. A title that is now basically guranteed for release this year and considering its prestige, may actually be a good guess for #200, would be The Rules of the Game.

~rougerum