Author Topic: saturday night live  (Read 120435 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

freakerdude

  • The Meeting with the Goddess
  • ***
  • Posts: 439
  • Respect: 0
saturday night live
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2003, 05:01:50 AM »
0
Why hasn't anyone mentioned praise of Darrell Hammond's talent? Will Ferrell was great and DH had to kind of fill his place. Chris Parnell adds a good bit to the show now. Tracy Morgan had his moments....I liked his  Dominican Lou from W/E Update spots.

I always liked Adam Sandler, Mike Meyers, Chris Rock, Dana Carvey, Kevin Nealon, Chris Farley, David Spade, Jan Hooks, Nora Dunn, Julia Sweeney....but Phil Hartman was incredible. His talent and impersonations along with Dana Carvey were the good years.

I was barely a teenager when it came on in 75 and came home to watch it every Saturday night.....those early days are timeless. I have the SNL book sitting here for reading and it sounds interesting.
MC Pee Pants

Sleuth

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3468
  • dead comic genius
  • Respect: +8
    • http://www.conologue.com
saturday night live
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2003, 05:03:10 AM »
0
I'm all about praising Darrell Hammond, he fucking rocks

That SNL book is great
I like to hug dogs

cine

  • Pretttttyyy, Pretttyyyyy Pretty Good
  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 5553
  • Respect: +281
saturday night live
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2003, 07:37:21 AM »
0
Hammond is one of the best impressionists SNL has ever had. On the same level with Carvey, Hartman, Ferrell, and Fallon.

The book IS great and when I read the negative remarks about Tom Arnold, he appeared on Conan and joked about how he looked in the index and was all excited to see they talked about.. and then it was bad. Haha, suck on it, Tom.

Best sketches of last season:
The Falconer
Colonel Angus
Rialto Grande
Global Century Investments
The Hangman

Pas

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3429
  • Respect: +10
saturday night live
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2003, 03:10:35 PM »
0
Quote from: Cinephile

Colonel Angus


Am I the only one who found that sketch very "so-so" ?

Quote from: Cinephile

Rialto Grande


Fucking hate that one.

My favorite were all the Hardball ones, especially the season finale cold opener.

Do you guys remember that politicaly incorrect inspector, played by Kevin Nealon ? That was great. I liked Kevin Nealon, too bad he has no decent job today.

cine

  • Pretttttyyy, Pretttyyyyy Pretty Good
  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 5553
  • Respect: +281
saturday night live
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2003, 03:41:05 PM »
0
Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: Cinephile

Colonel Angus

Am I the only one who found that sketch very "so-so" ?

I would hope so. Most people here could care less about comedy critiquing, but nonetheless, the dialogue written for that sketch was nothing short of brilliant. I'm kind of surprised you didn't find it that funny. things like "if i overstay my welcome, just tap me on the head" are gems.

Quote from: Pas Rapport

Quote from: Cinephile

Rialto Grande

Fucking hate that one.

That's so depressing.. it was Kattan's last season and here he creates this elaborate recurring sketch where the host is terrible (and always makes reference to his 'dropped' balls and 'poindexter') and the old guy is NEVER on time with the rimshot and always does it on a sombre note. The waitresses have disgusted looks on their faces as they walk by, and the comic guest always breaks down since they're the clowns.. always laughing on the outside and crying on the inside. I loved that sketch so much.. I'm gonna miss it. It's too bad you hated it because I felt the visual comedy and the comedic set ups were hilarious.

Sleuth

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3468
  • dead comic genius
  • Respect: +8
    • http://www.conologue.com
saturday night live
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2003, 04:03:02 PM »
0
Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: Cinephile

Colonel Angus

Am I the only one who found that sketch very "so-so" ?

I would hope so. Most people here could care less about comedy critiquing, but nonetheless, the dialogue written for that sketch was nothing short of brilliant. I'm kind of surprised you didn't find it that funny. things like "if i overstay my welcome, just tap me on the head" are gems.

Quote from: Pas Rapport

Quote from: Cinephile

Rialto Grande

Fucking hate that one.


That's so depressing.. it was Kattan's last season and here he creates this elaborate recurring sketch where the host is terrible (and always makes reference to his 'dropped' balls and 'poindexter') and the old guy is NEVER on time with the rimshot and always does it on a sombre note. The waitresses have disgusted looks on their faces as they walk by, and the comic guest always breaks down since they're the clowns.. always laughing on the outside and crying on the inside. I loved that sketch so much.. I'm gonna miss it. It's too bad you hated it because I felt the visual comedy and the comedic set ups were hilarious.


 :( I agree with Cinephile

except that I didn't like how the Rialto Grande sketches were almost the exact same thing every time
I like to hug dogs

Pas

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3429
  • Respect: +10
saturday night live
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2003, 04:18:07 PM »
0
The Colonel Angus was well tought, of course, but once you get the joke, I found it got long.

As for the Rialto Grande, wasn't that a musical number ? Maybe I'm mistaking it, but I'm not sure. What I recall is Chris Kattan singing poorly jokes I didn't understand/hear.

cine

  • Pretttttyyy, Pretttyyyyy Pretty Good
  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 5553
  • Respect: +281
saturday night live
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2003, 04:39:41 PM »
0
Rialto Grande:

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 5894
  • :boxing:
  • Respect: +20
saturday night live
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2003, 04:51:41 PM »
0
Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: Cinephile

Colonel Angus


Am I the only one who found that sketch very "so-so" ?


I hope so as well, I loved that.  It didn't get old because I was watching it with people who aren't familiar with cunnilingus, and I refused to explain it.  They looked it up in the dictionary and that led to a night of crying so hard from inside jokes that won't be funny the next day.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pas

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3429
  • Respect: +10
saturday night live
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2003, 09:03:33 PM »
0
Quote from: Cinephile
Rialto Grande:


Ok, I wasn't mistakin then.

MacGuffin

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 22985
  • Respect: +639
saturday night live
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2003, 10:51:37 PM »
0
Britney, Justin Sign on for 'SNL'

Former lovers Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake will appear separately as musical guests in the coming weeks on NBC's "Saturday Night Live," according to a spokesperson for the show.

Spears will perform on the Oct. 18 episode, to be hosted by Halle Berry. Timberlake will serve as both the host and musical guest on the show's Oct. 11 edition.

Spears is expected to perform songs from her upcoming Jive album, "Get in the Zone," due Nov. 18. First single "More Than the Music" featuring Madonna is scheduled to hit U.S. radio outlets Tuesday.

Timberlake is taking a break from touring in support of his Jive solo debut, "Justified." He will return to the road beginning Nov. 16 in Ghent, Belgium. A DVD featuring music videos from "Justified" as well as live performance footage was released last week.
“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” - Andy Warhol


Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3853
  • Respect: +16
saturday night live
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2003, 09:50:03 PM »
0
Quote from: MacGuffin
Britney, Justin Sign on for 'SNL'

Former lovers Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake will appear separately as musical guests in the coming weeks on NBC's "Saturday Night Live," according to a spokesperson for the show.

Spears will perform on the Oct. 18 episode, to be hosted by Halle Berry. Timberlake will serve as both the host and musical guest on the show's Oct. 11 edition.

Spears is expected to perform songs from her upcoming Jive album, "Get in the Zone," due Nov. 18. First single "More Than the Music" featuring Madonna is scheduled to hit U.S. radio outlets Tuesday.

Timberlake is taking a break from touring in support of his Jive solo debut, "Justified." He will return to the road beginning Nov. 16 in Ghent, Belgium. A DVD featuring music videos from "Justified" as well as live performance footage was released last week.



...i like those cool cliches she uses ..

"GET in the Zone"..isn't that a right guard slogan or something..?

"More than the Music"...... :roll: ..but a least she's branching out..could this be a concept album about the hardships of being a pop star.. and what the underlying theme  is throughtout her psyche......


and on the subject of SNL......it SUCKs now.....and has always since....farley, spade, sandler, hartmon, etc..(the good ones)...have left...
.i rather make up my own skits and vidotape them than watch SNL now....

ShanghaiOrange

  • The Magic Flight
  • ****
  • Posts: 635
  • Respect: +6
saturday night live
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2003, 10:04:45 PM »
0
The giant Walmart sketch and Tenis Talk with Time Travelling Scott Joplin were the best sketches last season.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

cine

  • Pretttttyyy, Pretttyyyyy Pretty Good
  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 5553
  • Respect: +281
saturday night live
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2003, 10:07:16 PM »
0
Quote from: NEON MERCURY
and on the subject of SNL......it SUCKs now.....and has always since....farley, spade, sandler, hartmon, etc..(the good ones)...have left...
.i rather make up my own skits and vidotape them than watch SNL now....


God, that was awfully wrong of you to say. Some of the years of the seasons you're talking about were so embarrassingly bad.. I haven't seen any complaints of any 'down' years since Lorne made the new cast in 95. It's MUCH better writing now. Ah... there's no point in me fighting. I'm a diehard SNLer.. this just won't work... Neon, I think we should see other people.

SoNowThen

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 4536
  • Respect: +9
    • 24/30 Cinema
saturday night live
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2003, 09:54:17 AM »
0
Quote from: ShanghaiOrange
Tennis Talk with Time Travelling Scott Joplin


The title alone was hilarious.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

 

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy