U2

Started by MacGuffin, September 15, 2004, 07:30:01 AM

Pas

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: themodernage02i was quite put off by the spanish-countoff but all these reviews make me interested in this again.  i'll probably give this a listen soon.

The funny thing is that Vertigo is the most odd song of the whole album. Its the only time where it feels like they are trying to have a "hit single". The rest of the album is quite different.

Haha yeah ... I'm not a U2 fan, in fact in general I don't really like them, I tought Vertigo was energetic and fun so I bought the album...so far kinda disapointed but I feel this is something that I will enjoy when I feel less...happy than today.

Myxo

I think it needs repeated listens.

Parts of the album kinda bored me too but it's grown on me.

Oh, and "Vertigo" is not the best song on that album. "City of Blinding Lights is". Track 10 rules as well.

:-D

mutinyco

Interestingly, it had the best debut week of U2's career. Kicked Eminem in the balls.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

mogwai

U2 will kick off their 2005 world tour at the san diego sports arena on march 28.

kings of leon have also been announced as the support act for the first leg of the global trek, with tickets going on sale on january 29.

the full dates for the vertigo tour will be announced on monday (january 24) and despite being two months away, it is likely to be the highest grossing jaunt of 2005.

from as many as 110 shows, conservative estimates put the tour's gross potential at $225-$250 million.

"one of the great privileges of working with U2 is you get to go on the road with them," manager paul mcguinness told billboard. "we are, i suppose, that rarest of things: a major touring attraction that is still having number one records all over the world after 25 years."

the first leg of the tour will hit north america for two months, wrapping up in late may in boston. the trek will then head to 30 european stadiums, kicking off in brussels on june 10.

the band will tour throughout europe until mid-august, before returning to north america for another run of 30 arena dates.

mcguinness said: "this tour will be not unlike the last production in that the lowest priced tickets will be on the floor. the best seats are the cheapest, and we want people to get excited."

talking about the distribution of floor tickets, he said: "some will be on sale, some will be radio contest winners."

mcguinness also revealed that some shows will be available as digital downloads, explaining: "we're exploring technology where it might be possible to download the show you've just seen. we've been talking to itunes and the folks at apple, with whom we have a great relationship, but it's not quite there yet. we're certainly looking at it."

Thrindle

Quote from: mogwaiU2 will kick off their 2005 world tour at the san diego sports arena on march 28.
I'm going to this...   :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
Classic.

thrindleyaspottyweefucker
get any good handjobs lately

Myxo

I'll be at the Seattle show.

Pas

After a fair number (that would be 4) of listens to How to ......... I can safely say this is the most overpraised album I ever listened. Thankfully not here.

Kal

In Miami they started selling tickets at 10am last Saturday and 2 minutes later they were all gone. They added a new show and they started selling them this morning at 10am. 10:04am they were all gone. It's bullshit how bad Ticketmaster works and how scalpers have everything figured out with bots and hacks

mogwai

ZOO TV On DVD

'Zoo TV Live From Sydney' is set for DVD release in September. As well as the legendary live show, now digitally remastered, the new release comes with a bonus DVD of live tracks, mini-documentaries and the inimitable 'Video Confessional'. Details here.

Filmed at the Football Stadium in Sydney, Australia, in November 1993 - and now only available on something called VHS – the film is directed by David Mallet and produced by Ned O'Hanlon and Rocky Oldham. More on the background to the DVD release in the next few days, meantime, here's the running order.

Disc One

Show Opening
Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
One
Unchained Melody
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Numb
Angel Of Harlem
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Satellite Of Love
Dirty Day
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Lemon
With Or Without You
Love Is Blindness
Can't Help Falling In Love

Disc Two
1. Bonus Tracks

1. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World
2. Desire
(both taken live from the Zoo TV Special, Yankee Stadium, New York, 29th and 30th August 1992)
3. The Fly
4. Even Better than the Real Thing
(both taken live from the Stop Sellafield Concert, G-Mex Centre, Manchester, 19th June 1992)

2. Documentaries
A Fistful of Zoo TV
Zoo TV - The Inside Story
Trabantland

3. Extras
Video Confessional
Numb Karaoke

MacGuffin

'U2byU2': A portrait by the artists
By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY

The later years: An assortment of band snapshots circa 1998-2001.

Arguably the greatest rock band on the planet, U2 now offers the definitive version of how it got there.

U2byU2 (HarperCollins, $39.95) has 1,500-plus images and a rich band autobiography culled from 150 hours of interviews with singer Bono, guitarist The Edge, bassist Adam Clayton, drummer Larry Mullen Jr. and manager Paul McGuinness.

"We felt it was important to get the story on record, but that's not to say we're not going to go on a good many more years," he says. "This is the story thus far."

In this exclusive excerpt, the band has decamped to Berlin to record Achtung Baby. They arrive Oct. 3, 1990, the official day of Germany's reunification, but soon realize their vision and brotherhood is anything but unified.

Edge: We went to Berlin with a lot of ideas but most of them were very skeletal and undeveloped. They were directions and hints that we hoped would become fully-fledged songs when we kicked them around in rehearsal but unfortunately, since a lot of them started out from unusual origins, sometimes drum machines, sometimes just strange sounds, they didn't sound very good when the band tried to play them. There was an awkward phase where things weren't working out and there were two ways to analyze it. Adam and Larry were convinced the song ideas were crap and Bono and I thought the fault lay with the band.

Larry: I thought this might be the end. We had been through tough circumstances before and found our way out, but it was always outside influences that we were fighting against. For the first time ever it felt like the cracks were within. And that was a much more difficult situation to negotiate.

Bono: What we thought were just hairline cracks that could be easily fixed turned out to be more serious, the walls needed underpinning, we had to put down new foundations or the house would fall down. In fact it was falling down all around us. We were running up hotel bills and we had professional people, the U2 crew, staring at our averageness and scratching their heads and wondering if maybe they'd have been better off working for Bruce Springsteen. We came face to face with our limitations as a group on a lot of levels, playing and songwriting. When you're at sea the smartest thing to do is to find some dry land as quick as possible. So I think Larry and Adam were just anxious: "Stop messing around with all this electronica, let's get back to doing what we do. Because all this experimental stuff isn't working very well, is it? And, by the way, Clockwork Orange was (expletive)." There was a bit of that going on. "Did somebody say we were a rock band?" As you were walking down the corridor, you'd overhear that kind of remark.

Larry: In the past, when we were writing music, we would be in a room playing and the discussion was always along the lines of: "I don't like that particular part, try something else." There seemed to be consensus. We were starting on a blank page to a large degree, perhaps with just a guitar or melody or a riff or a vocal idea. So we started at the same place and ended at the same place. This time around, it wasn't a blank page. The parameters were already set, by drum machines, loops and synth pads. And it's kind of hard to embrace new rules when you don't understand them.

Adam: We weren't getting anywhere until One fell into our laps and suddenly we hit a groove.

Bono: Maybe "great" is what happens when "very good" gets tired. We kind of out-stared the average, it blinked first and One arrived.

Edge: I was trying to take one of our half finished ideas and give it some inspiration. I went off into another room and developed a couple of different chord progressions, neither of which actually worked where they were supposed to. (Producer) Danny Lanois said, "What happens if you play both of them, one into the next?" I was playing acoustic guitar and Bono got on the microphone and started improvising melodies and within a few minutes we had the bones of the song, melodically, structurally and even lyrically.

Bono: The words just fell out of the sky, a gift. We had a request from the Dalai Lama to participate in a festival called Oneness. I love and respect the Dalai Lama but there was something a little bit "let's hold hands" hippie to me about this particular event. I am in awe of the Tibetan position on non-violence but this event didn't strike a chord. I sent him back a note saying, "One — but not the same."

Edge: At the instant we were recording it, I got a very strong sense of its power. We were all playing together in the big recording room, a huge, eerie ballroom full of ghosts of the war, and everything fell into place. It was a reassuring moment, when everyone finally went, "Oh, great, this album has started." It's the reason you're in a band — when the spirit descends upon you and you create something truly affecting. One is an incredibly moving piece. It hits straight into the heart.

Larry: It was similar to the way we had recorded in the past. In some ways it was a sign that the blank page approach was still valid. Everything was not broken.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

U2 Making 3-D Concert Film
Bono and co. making big-screen debut.

Irish rockers U2 are planning to bring their Vertigo tour to movie screens everywhere in the form of a 3-D concert film planned for release next year.

Directors Catherine Owens and Mark Pellington, according to Variety, will piece the film together from more than 700 hours of footage they shot of the band performing seven South American shows early last year.

And in the band's typically sensational fashion, U2 isn't stopping there. They're set to make history by performing live in the first 3-D concert ever beamed to theaters nationwide. The live 3-D event would coincide with the concert film's theatrical debut in summer or fall of 2007.

Variety explains that the film's producers, 3ality Digital Entertainment, assembled the most 3-D camera technology ever used for a single project. A representative for the band called it "the first-ever 3-D multi-camera live shoot."  3-D director of photography, Peter Anderson (T2 3-D: Battle Across Time), used nine pairs of Sony Cinealta 950 cameras to film the band in swooping shots and kaleidoscopic imagery that will play to the three-dimensional format.  Director of cinematography for the film's 2-D footage is Tom Krueger.

The film is expected to be displayed using Real D technology, the same used by theaters showing the new version of Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

ShoWest gets peek at 'U2'
3-D film gets the rock star treatment
Source: Variety

LAS VEGAS -- ShoWest saw another boost for 3-D content on Thursday morning when Real D unveiled the first previews of footage from the upcoming concert film "U2 3D."

Aud watched the teaser trailer and perf of the song "Sunday, Bloody Sunday."

Pic's producers call it the first live-action film to be shot, posted and exhibited entirely in 3-D. It will include 14-15 songs in 80-90 minutes.

Shot at the band's concerts in South America, the film was independently produced by 3ality Digital. Producers are hoping for a fall release though a distributor has not yet been secured.

Film will play only in 3-D-capable digital theaters.

Real D prexy Joseph Peixoto made a point of telling the aud that the presentation was shown with a single 2K Barco digital projector -- a typical commercial digital projection system.

That became a concern after it turned out that Sony's Wednesday presentation of 3-D footage from the NBA All-Star game, while impressive, was shown with two projectors, a setup far too expensive and high maintenance for most commercial applications.

Producer Jon Shapiro of 3ality said U2 was the perfect subject for a 3-D concert film because "there's a connectivity at a U2 concert you can't describe unless you've been there."

Film's directors, Catherine Owens and Mark Pellington, have long experience creating the band's concert visuals.

Ironically, the quality of the 3-D picture in "U2 3D" may reveal a whole new set of challenges for cinema owners, warned sound maven Michael Leader, prexy of Leader Cinema.

"Cinema sound systems are not up to what we just experienced," Leader told Daily Variety after the "U2 3D" preview.

He said that current theater sound systems don't even play back all of what's on typical movie soundtracks, especially in the bass, and don't have anything close to the dynamic range needed to properly play rock-concert films.

"You need a Formula One racing engine in your sound system to do this," Leader said.

Pumping up the volume on the bass would also exacerbate problems with sound leaking between theaters in multiplexes, he said.

Preview was part of Real D's demonstration of 3-D for alternative content. Demo also included a look at the "Chicken Little" videogame in 3-D.

"A lot of people spend a lot of time in front of computers, and they are people we want back in theaters," said Peixoto.

Demonstration did not include multiplayer games, however, and Peixoto spoke only of single-player games.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

In the new issue of Hot Press, the magazine says U2's new album is "likely to emerge in October". Word is that this album will be a major change for them.

Highlight quotes to describe the new album:

- During an interview with USA Today's Anthony Breznican, Bono and Edge played a new song that Bono called "No Line On The Horizon." On hearing it, writer Anthony Breznican says "heavy distortion fills the car," and later adds: "The song is rough, weaving between brutal guitar blasts underscoring the mellow title refrain."

- Daniel Lanois says the new record is "promising to be a fantastically innovative collection of songs". He also says they've recently been listening to Jimi Hendrix for inspiration (specifically, for drum inspiration, not guitars).

- "World music this is not," he says, though U2 fans will "feel the difference". Polyrhythmic is the word he chooses with a self-deprecating laugh. "U2 in dancefloor shock. Normally when you play a U2 tune, it clears the dancefloor. And that may not be true of this. There's some trance influences. But there's some very hardcore guitar coming out of The Edge. Real molten metal. It's not like anything we've ever done before, and we don't think it sounds like anything anyone else has done either."

Word is that U2 will also do a follow up to their Passengers project with Brian Eno. They've been recording in Morocco and taking influence from African music. Not sound wise, but for structure in an attempt to get away from classical pop melody structure.

If the lyrics rise above their recent bad imitation of Beatles bullshit? I can only hope.

MacGuffin

U2 enter Dublin studio for new album

Irish rockers U2 have hit the studio in Dublin to continue work on their next studio album with longtime collaborators Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois.

"We're going to try and break new sonic ground and deliver a masterpiece," Lanois told Billboard.com. "The sleeves are rolled up. Bono is all charged up with a lyrical angle."

U2, Eno and Lanois have spent time working on new material on three prior occasions in France and Morocco.

"There's so much material," he said, referring to speculation that the sessions could yield two new albums. "When you get Eno and I and those guys in the room, before lunch there's like eight things."

There's no date yet for the project, which will be the follow-up to 2004's "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb," which won the Grammy for album of the year.

Skeleton FilmWorks