2 problems with JVC HD

Started by metroshane, June 15, 2004, 12:27:16 PM

metroshane

Hmm...now in the editing process, I'm noticing a few curiosities with the JVC HD cam.

1.  vingnetting.  I'm getting some vingetting in some shots but not others...often times with the same set up.  Wierd.

2.  Bigger problem.  When using the wide angle lens, there seems to be at least 10% image hitting the chip that isn't showing in the LCD or monitor...however, it's there in FCP.  I wish I'd known before shooting a feature!!!!  

so here's my question.  I'm getting a lot of boom and light rigging in the shot because of that hidden 10%.  It doesn't show in the camera or monitor...so should I crop it out in FCP?  I mean, do you think it'll make the final image once outputted?  or will that 10% disappear again?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Ghostboy

I'll take the second question first, since I know the answer. That'll happen on any video camera, and it freaked me out the first time I noticed it too, before I learned what it was. That extra area is the overscan area, and it won't show up on TVs or projectors (or LCD screens and viewfinders). If you go into Final Cut Pro and go to the first frame of any particular shot, you'll see a little right-angle bracket in each corner of the viewer. This represents the TV-safe areas, showing you where the image will be cut off when viewed on standard monitors.

If you have a professional video monitor, you'll have an overscan/underscan button, and I usually leave it on overscan so that I can make EXTRA sure nothing enters the shot, but don't worry, your footage will be fine. Just don't show it to anyone on your computer.

As for the vignetting...does it look like tape drop out? That's always a problem with miniDV. Also, I've heard that there are a lot of problems with that JVC HD cam (if you're using that 1-chip prosumer one) in terms of compression...

metroshane

Schew...thanks....again.  I knew that video cameras had overscan, just didn't realize FCP would show it.    

As far as vignetting...I don't know what to call it.  Just dark spots in the corners.  And yes, it was the consumer HD.  I know it isn't the greatest camera...but we wanted to try it in the name of scholarship.

Thx again.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.