Southland Tales

Started by clerkguy23, June 07, 2004, 06:54:09 PM

Ultrahip

cowboykurtis

Quote from: Ultrahip Lobster Supperhttp://www.treer-products.com/

what exactly is that supposed to be and how does it relate to teh film specifically?
...your excuses are your own...

Ultrahip

that was shown at comic-con by richard kelly and kevin smith while promoting southland tales. it is a storyboard sequence from, i assume, the film.

as to what it's supposed to be...i have no idea.

killafilm

Quint on AICN said it may or may not be a commercial in the movie.

Sleuth

hmmmmm :ponder:

No, I've decided that's not what it is.
I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: killafilmQuint on AICN said it may or may not be a commercial in the movie.

what does quint look lyke?

killafilm

Not a clue.

Here's what he wrote.  

QuoteIt looked like it was from a commercial of some sort... like a ROBOCOP type of commercial, you know? Like, it'll play in the movie as a bit of parody on the commercials we get in the real world. These were all shown as storyboards, not animatics. They weren't moving, just went from board to board.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: killafilmNot a clue.

Here's what he wrote.  

QuoteIt looked like it was from a commercial of some sort... like a ROBOCOP type of commercial, you know? Like, it'll play in the movie as a bit of parody on the commercials we get in the real world. .

that seems to be the case
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

Before Southland Tales
Donnie Darko director scribes epic prequel graphic novels for upcoming film.

Richard Kelly, director of Donnie Darko, announced today that he would be writing a series of graphic novel prequels prior to the release of his next movie, Southland Tales. Beginning in the first quarter of 2006, six 100-page graphic novels, all written by Kelly, will be released. The comics lead directly into the film, which serves as the final act.

Darko Entertainment, Graphitti Designs and View Askew Productions are working together to publish the graphic novels. No artist has been announced.

If you're wondering why View Askew is involved, Kevin Smith is one of the stars of the film's ensemble cast. He plays Simon Theory, a legless Iraqi war vet. Joining Smith on screen are Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Seann William Scott and Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Set in the future -- 2008 Los Angeles, to be exact -- Southland Tales examines an America about to collapse under social and economic hardships. It looks to be just as bizarre as Kelly's best known work, Donnie Darko.

"I am thrilled to have Kevin Smith as both an actor in Southland Tales as well as having his involvement in the prequel graphic novels for Southland Tales. The novels will give the die-hard fans more of an understanding of the back-story leading up the film's theatrical release," said Kelly.

Southland Tales is expect to begin principal photography on August 15, 2005.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Tictacbk

Richard Kelly, you continue to disappoint me.

ono

Richard Kelly, you continue to intrigue me.

(Sure some of his casting is suspect, but the premise, and the idea of using graphic novels as lead-ins to his films, are both really ... "genius" is overused ... but "creative" would be an understatement.)

RegularKarate

Quote from: onomatavivaRichard Kelly, you continue to intrigue me.

(Sure some of his casting is suspect, but the premise, and the idea of using graphic novels as lead-ins to his films, are both really ... "genius" is overused ... but "creative" would be an understatement.)

more like "done before".

Tictacbk

maybe, maybe i could understand one graphic novel that was up for grabs IF someone wanted to read it...

but SIX graphic novels that lead into the film?  Thats just too much fluff for even the creator of Donnie Darko's fans to handle.

72teeth

i thought they were just there in case anyone wanted to invest a little more into the film and make it a better experience, they're not mandatory into understanding it, are they?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Pubrick

Quote from: 72teeththey're not mandatory into understanding it, are they?
this part makes it seem like too much is weighing on them..
Quote from: MacGuffinThe comics lead directly into the film, which serves as the final act.
and truth is, if they are not necessary, then they are worthless. but if reading them will explain the movie to u, it's probably sumthing i'd read after the release of the movie. sorta like the director's cut of DD. and even then i'd still prefer the movie without the extra explanation.
under the paving stones.