Radiohead - OK Computer
mínus - Jesus Christ Bobby!
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Lovesongs
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellan Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Neil Young  - Harvest
Tool - Lateralus
Weezer - Blue Album
Cat Stevens - The Best of

It's really hard to pick 10 albums. I've probably forgotten my 10 favorites.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

phil marlowe

Quote from: SoNowThen
that's a pretty weird pick

SoNowThen

The first three of theirs are pretty equal in my mind, but that one's the most underappreciated, so I always pick it.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

phil marlowe

Quote from: SoNowThenThe first three of theirs are pretty equal in my mind, but that one's the most underappreciated, so I always pick it.
ahh shit i just mistook it for the new album my bad, haven't heard either

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SoNowThen

.that album is underrated floyd...dogs is an epic song....

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

European Son

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanRULES:
only 1 radiohead album
Lame rule.

KingBlackDeath

1. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
2. Natural Bridge - The Silver Jews
3. Rufus Wainwright - Rufus Wainwright
4. The Glow, Pt.2 - The Microphones
5. Mutations - Beck
6. Wowee Zowee - Pavement
7. American Water - The Silver Jews
8. Agaetius Byrjun - Sigur Ros
9. Fetch the Compass Kids - Danielson
10. Hot Shots II - The Beta Band
Do you see what happens...when king black death breathes on you with his breath?

Ghostboy

Like everyone said, 10 is pretty tough, but it suggests a good sampling of everyone's taste, and  music is a great way to judge someone's personality. My own picks of the moment, in no order and minus links to the covers...

The White Album (The Beatles)
Aquemini (Outkast)
The Boatman's Call (Nick Cave)
Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie)
Pink Moon (Nick Drake)
Belle And Sebastian (If You're Feeling Sinister)
The Cure (Disintegration)
Bjork (Homogenic)
The Velvet Underground (Loaded)
and the requisite Radiohead pick...Kid A

Wow, what a mellow list. Five years ago, Marilyn Manson and NIN would have been all over it.

Stefen

In no order.

Radiohead - The bends.
Tool - opiate.
Del the funky homosapien - future development.
Nina Simone - blues
at the drive in - relation of command.
fiona apple - when the pawn
van morrison - moondance
dylan - blood on the tracks
zeppelin 2
aretha franklin - lady soul
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

FINALLY WE ARE NO ONE - múm

SELECTED AMBIENT WORKS VOL. 2 - aphex twin

THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL - nine inch nails

12 GOLDEN COUNTRY GREATS - ween

ENDTRODUCING.. - dj shadow

MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR - the beatles

IT TAKES A NATION OF MILLIONS TO HOLD US BACK - public enemy

NEON GOLDEN - the notwist

HOMOGENIC - bjork

OK COMPUTER - radiohead

eleven