Spanish / Latino cinema

Started by Chest Rockwell, February 22, 2004, 06:58:22 AM

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI changed the thread title for clarity.

I think we're just talking about Spanish language films and Latino films.
Good thinking.

Alexandro

just please, don't confuse spanish films with brazilian and mexican films...

I recommend:

SPAIN
Belle Epoque (Fernando Trueba)
Tesis (Alejandro Amenábar)
El Día de la Bestia - Day of the Beast (Alex de la Iglesia)
Los Amantes del Círculo Polar

ARGENTINA
Martín Hache (Adolfo Aristaraín)
El Hijo de la Novia - The Son of the Bride
Moebius

CHILE
Coronación

COLOMBIA
Edipo Alcalde - Mayor Oedipus
La Virgen de los Sicarios (Barbet Schroeder)

BRAZIL
Central Station (Walter Salles)
Seven Heads Bug

CUBA
Fresa y Chocolate (Strawberry and Chocolate)
Guantanamera

MEXICO
Cronos (Guillermo del Toro)
El Espinazo del Diablo - The Devil's Backbone (Guillermo del Toro)
El Lugar Sin Límites - Place Without Limits (Arturo Ripstein)
Principio y Fin - Beggining and End (Arturo Ripstein)
Profundo Carmesí - Deep Crimson (Arturo Ripstein)
Asi es la Vida (Arturo Ripstein)
Solo con tu Pareja (Alfonso Cuarón)
El Callejón de los Milagros - Midaq Alley (Jorge Fons) THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST
Rojo Amanecer (Jorge Fons)
Dos Crímenes - Two Crimes (Roberto Sneider)
Bajo California (Carlos Bolado)
El Crimen del Padre Amaro - Crime of Father Amaro (Carlos Carrera)
La Mujer de Benjamín - Benjamin's Woman (Carlos Carrera)
La Ley de Heródes (Herod's Law) (Luis Estrada)
El Jardín del Eden - Garden of Eden (María Novaro)

Vile5

First at all:
Spain is a country situated in a continent called Europe
Second:
Latin America is a group of countries which languages have a Latin root and they are situated in a continent called America

I don't wanna be unpleasant, but believe me, i'm tired to listening to people calling us Spanish people, or our movies and music, Spanish movies / Spanish music when that's not right, Spain and Latin America are similar in some ways but we are not the same....sorry

OK, so you're talking about Latin and Spanish cinema, well i think Argentina is making the best cinema in last years if we want to talk about Latin America, and then Mexico, oh! and Cuba is always interesting.
In Spain movies are in a different level, even so, i like (like many of you) Almodovar, and lately Fernando Leon de Aranoa (i'm just talking about current cinema of course)..ok my movies:

Martin Hache - Argentina/Spain (my favorite!)
Hable con Ella/Talk to Her - Spain
Profundo Carmesí/Deep Crimson - Mexico (excellent!)
Cenizas del Paraíso/Ashes of the Paradise - Argentina
Cidade de Dues/City of God - Brasil
Todo sobre mi Madre/ All about my Mother - Spain
Fresa y Chocolate - Cuba
Historias Mínimas/Minimal Stories - Argentina
El Hijo de la Novia/The Son of the Bride - Argentina
Guantanamera- Cuba
Estacao central do Brasil/Central Station - Brasil
Los Lunes al Sol/ Mondays at Sunset - Spain
Nueve Reinas/Nine Queens- Argentina
Caídos del Cielo/Fallen from Heaven- Perú
Bajo la Piel/Under the Skin - Perú
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Kal

Vile5, did you see "Paper Dove" de Fabrizio Aguilar?

o "El Destino no tiene favoritos" de Alvaro Velarde?

Vile5

Of course i did!
I liked the style of El Destino no tiene Favoritos, very interesting and i enjoyed Paloma de Papel too, particularly the takes of the Andean Landscape (i love Andean Landscape btw) but i couldn't say they are in my 'favorites' list, even so i liked them.

Kal

I met both Directors a couple of months ago... interesting people... liked the movies too...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Vile5i'm tired to listening to people calling us Spanish people
And isn't Hispanic just as bad?

Weird. Oh

Quote from: Vile5First at all:
Second:
Latin America is a group of countries which languages have a Latin root and they are situated in a continent called America

I want to applaud you on your cutting wit and sarcasm  :wink: A Quick Lesson In World History: Those countries you speak of root are not latin based, persay. Just a reminder that Spanish conquistadors came over to convert your "heathen natives" to catholicism and instilled the Spanish language during the great period of time known as the Inquisition, in fact, you might have heard of it  :wink: . Since Spanish is a Romance Language (Language based upon Latin), then I'd say Spanish could  be a rather appopriate title  :lol:  

P.S.  I'd like you to point out the continent of America on a map to me also.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

one simple rule in mexican cinema: stay away from Guillermo Sarinana
context, context, context.

cine

Quote from: Weirdo1769movieMikeSince Spanish is a Romance Language (Language based upon Latin), then I'd say Spanish could  be a rather appopriate title  :lol:  
Not necessarily. If Spanish IS a Romance Language, then why don't we compromise and rename the thread to 'Romance Cinema' and fuck EVERYBODY'S heads up when they read the title, click the link, and see John Leguizamo's The Pest poster.

... Well, it's only an idea.

Vile5

Quote from: Weirdo1769movieMike
Quote from: Vile5First at all:
Second:

I want to applaud you on your cutting wit and sarcasm  :wink: A Quick Lesson In World History: Those countries you speak of root are not latin based, persay. Just a reminder that Spanish conquistadors came over to convert your "heathen natives" to catholicism and instilled the Spanish language during the great period of time known as the Inquisition, in fact, you might have heard of it  :wink: .
Oh my darling, i think you never got my point, even so that was funny, but just to correct you in some points, the period you talk about is not Inquisition, the Spanish invasion (what, as everybody knows, began in 1492) is called Colonization, and the Spanish Inquisition began in the XIII century but arrived in Latin America in the XVI century, so one thing was the Inquisition and other the Spanish Colonization in America. :wink:

Quote from: Weirdo1769movieMikeSince Spanish is a Romance Language (Language based upon Latin), then I'd say Spanish could  be a rather appopriate title  :lol:
i think you forgot we were talking about Brazilian movies too, so i think the word "Spanish" is not that appropriate... so i'm with Cinephile just call this thread Romace Cinema and shut our mouths up!

Weird. Oh

Quote from: Vile5

just to correct you in some points, the period you talk about is not Inquisition, the Spanish invasion (what, as everybody knows, began in 1492) is called Colonization, and the Spanish Inquisition began in the XIII century but arrived in Latin America in the XVI century, so one thing was the Inquisition and other the Spanish Colonization in America. :wink:

Touche. I did mean invasion, not inquisition :cry:

Quote from: Vile5
i think you forgot we were talking about Brazilian movies too, so i think the word "Spanish" is not that appropriate... so i'm with Cinephile just call this thread Romace Cinema and shut our mouths up!

I agree. Romance theatre it is.      :wink:  My favorite new Romance Cinema would be The Passion of the Christ  :lol:
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

rustinglass

Since we have Brasil, can we include portuguese films as well, that way we would include the whole of the iberic peninsula and south america without any confusion.
(I'm not tralking about including all portuguese language cinema, that would be confusing, then we would have to include cabo verde, s. tomé e príncipe, guiné, angola, mozambique and east timor also)
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Alexandro

Quote from: rustinglassSince we have Brasil, can we include portuguese films as well, that way we would include the whole of the iberic peninsula and south america without any confusion.
(I'm not tralking about including all portuguese language cinema, that would be confusing, then we would have to include cabo verde, s. tomé e príncipe, guiné, angola, mozambique and east timor also)

cool...talking about Portugal...have you seen the films by Manoel de Oliveira??? They're quiet, slow and intersting...

The Convent, with Malkovich and Catherine Denueve, has horrible reviews all over the internet, but I thought it was great, and funny, and mysterious...

rustinglass

I like some of oliveira's films (shamefully, I haven't seen that many), some I really dislike. He's very respected here, but I have a theory that the french like him better than we do. Along with João César Monteiro (recently died) e is what americans call "old school", but I don't apreciate them as much as I respect them.
Now, portuguese directors that I really like and am very proud of are Teresa Villaverde and Fernando Lopes, has anyone here ever seen nay film by them?

Other directors I'd like to mention: João Canijo, Raquel Freire, José Fonseca e Costa, José Miguel Ribeiro and Vítor Moreira(hasn't yet directed a feature but made one of the best short cuts I've ever seen)
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica