Chappelle Show official thread

Started by prophet, February 20, 2004, 03:34:57 PM

MacGuffin

Chappelle's Show In May
Season Two's coming, bitch!

After a few delays, Paramount Home Entertainment will release Chappelle's Show - Season Two Uncensored on a three-DVD set on May 24 for a suggested price of around $30.

This set will contain all 13 uncensored and unblurred episodes from the second season along with special bonus features exclusive to the DVD release. Video will be in full screen and audio in Dolby 2.0, but the extras look like fun. They include audio commentary on five episodes by Dave Chappelle and series co-creator and executive producer Neal Brennan, Chappelle stand-up material, The Rick James Extended Interview, Charlie Murphy's Rick James memories; and two unaired Charlie Murphy's "True Hollywood Stories" and a whopping 71-minute collection of deleted scenes and bloopers with commentary by Chappelle and Brennan.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Chappelle' on hold at Comedy Central
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Comedy Central has postponed the premiere of its hit series "Chappelle's Show" less than a month before it was scheduled to return for a third season.

The network offered no rationale for the decision, releasing only a brief statement: "Comedy Central has suspended production on the third season of "Chappelle's Show" until further notice. All parties are optimistic that production will resume in the near future."

Representatives for the show's star, Dave Chappelle, declined comment.

One of Comedy Central's highest-rated series, "Chappelle" was supposed to be back on the air May 31. The network already has postponed the third season once; "Chappelle" originally was scheduled to bow in February.

A Comedy Central spokesman had blamed the first postponement on writing delays. Other published reports noted that Chappelle was battling the flu.

Chappelle made headlines in August when he signed on for two more seasons of his series in a deal worth about $50 million -- an expensive sum for a cable program. The new deal was supposed to give Chappelle a portion of the robust DVD sales generated by its first season, which has sold more than 3 million units.

The DVD release of the second season of "Chappelle" also was postponed this year after Paramount Home Video originally scheduled units to hit stores in February timed to the third-season bow. The release date was pushed back to May 24.

Comedy Central had ordered 13 episodes for the third season. Production on the series yielded material late last year but then closed for the holidays and didn't resume until February.

"Chappelle" was one of several series launches that the network had scheduled through the summer, including the return of "Reno 911!" and new series "Stella."

The postponement was made just one day after the MTV Networks' upfront presentation, during which Comedy Central president Doug Herzog touted his upcoming lineup. The network also has just appointed Jeff Lucas, former president of advertising sales at NBC Universal's cable division, as its new senior vp ad sales.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

I love the Chapelle show. Hope he gets better and back to work soon.

modage

Report: Chappelle in mental health facility
Source: Associated Press

Comedy Central star Dave Chappelle has checked himself into a mental health facility in South Africa, the magazine Entertainment Weekly reported on Wednesday.

The comedian's whereabouts and condition have been unknown since Comedy Central abruptly announced last week that the planned May 31 launch of the third season of "Chappelle's Show" had been postponed and production halted.

Chappelle flew from Newark, N.J., to South Africa on April 28 for treatment, said the magazine, quoting a source close to the show it would not identify. Entertainment Weekly said it had corroborating sources for its story.

"We don't know where he is," Comedy Central spokesman Tony Fox said. "We've heard about South Africa. We don't know. We haven't talked to Dave."

Chappelle's spokesman, Matt Labov, would not comment on the magazine's story.

"It seems like the issues he's contending with are really quite serious," said Dade Hayes, a senior editor at Entertainment Weekly. "It isn't a case of him spending a weekend someplace recuperating from exhaustion."

The magazine's sources say Chappelle is still in the facility, which was not named, Hayes said. Chappelle's representatives have denied that the comedian was abusing drugs.

Chappelle reportedly signed a $50 million deal with Comedy Central for two more seasons of his show, a payday made possible because of the explosive sales of the show's first season DVD.

The magazine said Chappelle had shot four to five episodes' worth of sketches for the new season, but none of its onstage introductions.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

Weird...wonder what's going to happen to that Michel Gondry/Chappelle thing?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

SiliasRuby

Quote from: squintsWeird...wonder what's going to happen to that Michel Gondry/Chappelle thing?
The gondry directed documentary of his stand up comedy plus musical guests like the fugees renuited together has already been film.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Bethie

COMEDY CHAPPELLE SPEAKS: WHAT I DID FOR $50 MILLION
Sat May 14 2005 19:48:54 ET

**Exclusive**

Dave Chappelle Found! Talks Exclusively with TIME Magazine in South Africa

"I figured, Let me just cut myself off from everybody, take a minute and pull a Flintstone-stop a speeding car by using my feet as the brakes. I am surprised at what I would do for $50 million. I am surprised at what people around me would do for me to have $50 million," Dave Chappelle tells TIME's Christopher John Farley in an exclusive interview.

CHAPPELLE tells TIME he's not in mental hospital or drug rehab, debunking earlier reports in ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY and elsewhere.

The full story, as well as exclusive photos of Chappelle in South Africa, will appear on TIME.com Sunday morning and in the issue that hits newsstands Monday.

Developing...

(http://www.drudgereport.com/flash1.htm)
who likes movies anyway

meatball

Quote from: SiliasRuby
Quote from: squintsWeird...wonder what's going to happen to that Michel Gondry/Chappelle thing?
The gondry directed documentary of his stand up comedy plus musical guests like the fugees renuited together has already been film.

:?:

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

The show Dave Chappelle doesn't want you to see!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3306

Buddies - Best Buy To Get Exclusive Release of Dave Chappelle's 1996 Series
Posted by David Lambert
4/25/2005

In 1991, the creative team of Matt Williams, David McFadzean, and Carmen Finestra - who had worked on shows like Roseanne and The Cosby Show - moved from Carsey-Werner over to Touchstone Television, and created the sitcom classic Home Improvement. Five years later, while Tim Allen was still riding high as Tim "The Toolman" Taylor, the same creative team attempted to put together a new series, called "Buddies", co-starring a comedian by the name of Dave Chappelle.

Those of you who have seen him in Chappelle's Show (and we know there are a lot of you, since the DVDs have sold so well) may recall his jokes in the early episodes about all his failed TV series. Buddies was probably among the "most successful" of those, even though only 13 episodes were produced, and ABC only aired 5 of them. Chappelle's character is named, well, "Dave", and Christopher Gartin (from the cast of M.A.N.T.I.S.) played "John", who is best friends with Dave, and they go into business together in the film industry. John's wife "Lorraine" was played by Paula Cale (co-star of Providence), and Dave's dad was played by none other than Shaft himself, Richard Roundtree!

Best Buy, the national retail chain that recognized early on what a hot genre TV-on-DVD would become, has managed to get the rights to sell Buddies on DVD exclusively through their stores. The information comes to us through one of our readers, "Bob", who tips us off to an online ad promoting the release, which is scheduled for May 17th. Here's the text from that ad:

Best Buy Exclusive!
Release date: 5/17/05

Get 10 episodes of Buddies, the 1996 sitcom starring Dave Chappelle, including 8 that never aired!

Dave Carlisle (Chappelle) and John Bailey are best friends and    partners in a struggling video production business named Hi-Intensity.

However, there are a few twists in this setup. Dave is black and John is white. They live in the same building, so their lives are totally intertwined. John is a newlywed, struggling to have a successful marriage with Lorraine, while Dave is struggling to remain a successful bachelor (despite the attempts of his girlfriend, Phyllis).

Now, there are some confusing things in that text, so let's mention them here: They say that there will be "10 episodes" on this release, but it's easy to find episode lists (TVTome.com for example) which demonstate that there were 13 episodes produced. Is this a typo in Best Buys' ad? We hope so, because it makes no sense to deliver just 77% of such a short-lived series!

The other confusing thing is that the character of "John" is referred to with the last name of "Bailey", whereas TVTome says the character's last name is "Butler. Heading to the Internet Movie DataBase (IMDB.com) doesn't clear things up: it says the character name is "Chris" (we're sure that's due to some confusion with the actor's name, Christopher Gartin).

Well, we're sure this confusion will be cleared up on May 17th, when Best Buy makes this release available. The cost I see for the DVD is $14.99, and we've got the box art below as well. The wording on the cover proclaims this as "The Show Dave Chappelle Doesn't Want You To See!" Whatever...former Miss America Vanessa L. Williams appears in one episode, and NBA Hall-of-Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar shows up in one of the unaired episodes; just try to keep us away!

pete

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1061415,00.html

Posted Sunday, May. 15, 2005

In this week's TIME, Christopher John Farley reveals why Dave Chappelle decided to leave his hit show and what he's been up to since he disappeared to South Africa two weeks ago. Last Friday night, TIME Johannesburg bureau chief Simon Robinson met with the comic at uShaka Marine World on the beach in the South African port of Durban. In a ninety minute conversation, Chappelle was eager to set the record straight on why he suddenly left the U.S. and what he's doing in South Africa. Here's Robinson's account:

Dave Chappelle shows up to our interview in a red t-shirt, blue jeans and shiny white sneakers. He lopes around in his usual style, pacing a lot, but does not seem like a man struggling to speak or to order his thoughts at all. He's lucid and thoughtful and a couple of times asks me to give him some time to think about answers. He concedes that he is dealing with a lot of issues and mentions that he had consulted a psychiatrist about a week ago for a forty minute session. He is also quite fastidious about keeping his new sneakers clean and stops at least twice to wipe smudges off their toes.

The first thing Chappelle wants is to dispel rumors—that he's got a drug problem, that he's checked into a mental institution in Durban—that have been flying around the U.S. for the past week. He says he is staying with a friend, Salim Domar, and not in a mental institution, as has been widely reported in America. Chappelle says he is in South Africa to find "a quiet place" for a while. "Let me tell you the things I can do here which I can't at home: think, eat, sleep, laugh. I'm an introspective dude. I enjoy my own thoughts sometimes. And I've been doing a lot of thinking here."

The picture he paints—and it seems a fairly honest and frank assessment— is of someone struggling to come to terms with a new position and power who's still figuring out how to come to grips with how people around him are reacting to the $50 million deal he signed last year with Comedy Central. Without naming specific characters, he seems to blame both some of his inner circle (not his family) and himself for the stresses created by last year's deal.

"There were things that overwhelmed me," he says. "But not in the way that people are saying. I haven't spent any of the money. All that stuff about partying and taking crack is not true. Why do I live on a farm in Ohio? To support my partying lifestyle?"

The problems, he says, started with his inner circle."If you don't have the right people around you and you're moving at a million miles an hour you can lose yourself," he says. "Everyone around me says, 'You're a genius!'; 'You're great!'; 'That's your voice!' But I'm not sure that they're right." And he stresses that Comedy Central was not part of the problem and put no more than normal television restrictions on what he could do.

"You got to be careful of the company you keep," Chappelle says. "It's hard to know how much to say. One of the things that happens when people make the leap from a certain amount of money to tens of millions of dollars is that the people around you dramatically change.

"During my ascent, I've seen other people go through that wall to become really big. They always said that fame didn't change them but that it changes the people around them. You always hear that but you never really understand it. But now that I'm there that makes a lot of sense and I'm learning what that means. You have to have people around you that you can trust and aren't just out for a meal ticket."

The breakdown in trust within his inner circle seems to have led him to question the material they were producing. He seems obsessed with making sure the material is good and honest and something that he will be proud. "I want to make sure I'm dancing and not shuffling," he says. "What ever decisions I make right now I'm going to have live with. Your soul is priceless." The first two seasons of his show "had a real spirit to them," he says. "I want to make sure whatever I do has spirit."

But Chappelle also says that he must share the blame for the stalled third season. "I'm admittedly a human being," he says. "I'm a difficult kind of dude." His earlier walkout during shooting "had a little psychological element to it. I have trust issues, things like that. I saw some stuff in myself that I just didn't dig. It's like when I brought a girl home to my mom and it looked as if my mom really didn't like this girl. And she told me, 'I like her just fine. I just don't like you around her.' That's how I feel in this situation. There were some things about myself that I didn't like. People got to take inventory from time to time. That's what this [coming to South Africa] is for."

This is Chappelle's second trip to South Africa. He first came to Durban, and visited Salim, in 2000. Chappelle won't tell me exactly how he met Salim but describes him as a family friend. A soft-spoken Muslim, Salim seems also to be something of a sounding board to Chappelle, who converted to Islam several years ago. While Chappelle is not doing a formal religious course in Durban, says Salim, who wore a simple cotton robe and hung back through the interview and photo shoot and only spoke when I asked him a question, "if he wants to talk religion then I'm there as someone to talk to." Says Chappelle: "This is kind of my spot where I can come to fill my spirit back up. Sometimes you neglect these things if you are running on a corporate schedule." The crux of his crisis seems to boil down to his almost obsessive need to "check my intentions." He uses the phrase a few times during the interview and explains that it means really making sure that he's doing what he's doing for the right reasons.

His family, he says, has been a huge support over the past eight months. "They've been phenomenal really, just incredible. What beautiful people. Everyone loves their family but it's good if you can like them too."

His religion is also crucial. "I don't normally talk about my religion publicly because I don't want people to associate me and my flaws with this beautiful thing. And I believe it is a beautiful religion if you learn it the right way. It's a lifelong effort. Your religion is your standard. Coming here I don't have the distractions of fame. It quiets the ego down. I'm interested in the kind of person I've got to become. I want to be well rounded and the industry is a place of extremes. I want to be well balanced. I've got to check my intentions, man."

That includes planning for the future. When I ask him if he would ever buy a place of his own in South Africa, Chappelle replies, "First of all I've got to make sure I've got a job."

He says that he's only been recognized five or six times in the two weeks he's been here. "It happens so sporadically that when it does it freaks me out because I have to remember, 'Oh, yeah, I'm famous.'" At the end of our interview/photo shoot an American woman does recognize him. "Number seven," he cries. "Wow, I'm not that big in Africa. I've got to do an action film here."

During most of the hour and a half that we talk, Chappelle is serious and introspective. But he still has his sense of humor, which comes out as we near the end of our conversation: "Is that enough to prove I'm not smoking crack or hanging out in a mental institution?"
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

meatball

Thanks for the article, pete. Dave's got a good head on his shoulders.

squints

Did anyone see the "Dave Chappelle Freakout Tent" on American Dad tonight? What was that about?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?