The Movie(s) That Made You a Cinephile

Started by phil marlowe, February 20, 2003, 01:14:04 PM

phil marlowe

Duck Sauce

I havent been in the game too long, but it was Requiem for a Dream

Xixax

For me, it was Boogie Nights. No question.

It was the first time that I sat up and saw a film as a work of art. The first time a film became more than telling a story, but actually made you care about the lives of the people onscreen.

When I saw it the first time, I was like, "Oh, so THIS is what movies can be!"
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Pwaybloe

Quote from: XixaxFor me, it was Boogie Nights. No question.

It was the first time that I sat up and saw a film as a work of art. The first time a film became more than telling a story, but actually made you care about the lives of the people onscreen.

When I saw it the first time, I was like, "Oh, so THIS is what movies can be!"

Same here.

Derek

it was a mix of Boogie Nights and L. A. Confidential, with a splash of Psycho.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Jeremy Blackman

I've been interested in movies since the beginning of high school, but the one that really did it was Magnolia. I'm sure that will always be my favorite movie, just because of the personal impact it had on me.

Victor

Honey I Shrunk The Kids. I think the first movie i ever saw in a theater. It had a HUGE impact on me. For a week, I wouldnt step on the floor or in my backyard, for fear of killing tiny people walking around.
are you gonna eat with us too?

xerxes

RegularKarate

I dug lots of movies when I was a kid, but I'd say the film that made me decide that I wanted to be a filmmaker was A Clockwork Orange.  I remember a friend of mine stayed the night (we were young, this wasn't a cream your pants kind of thing) and he wanted to rent a "weird" movie so we rented this because we had heard it was "strange".  We watched it and I immediately watched it the next day and all week until I had to return it and find out what else this Kubrick guy had made.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSUVWXYZ

Pink Floyd the Wall and 2 tabs of Lisedricacid Dyethelmide (sp?)

Redlum

When I saw American Beauty. I'd seen loads of films as a kid but this was the first one that showed me the emotional impact a film can have.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

life_boy

Sorry to be unoriginal but the movie that changed my life was Boogie Nights.  I had heard good things about it (in movie reviews) but never expected it to be what it was.  I was about 15 and had seen just about all the new releases so I gave it a try.  Well the rest, as they say, is history.  It was after this movie that I knew how I wanted to make movies, up until then I just wanted to make them.  Anyway, I watched it two more times before I renturned it and have been a cinephile and a P.T. Anderson lover (in a non-creamy pants sorta way) ever since.

Recce

Fight Club. Not so much the first time. I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time, then saw it again and developed an appreciation for the excellent craftsmanship of the film. To think I almost didn't see it cause I wasn't 18. But I wasn't gonna let that stop me.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Gold Trumpet

Die Hard got me to just love movies when I was 13, even if action movies only at the time. I still love the movie and is the only movie where I have every line, camera angle and shot already in my head. I had to have seen it over 150 times easily.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid came for me when I was 15 to really enjoy older movies since I was still entertainment driven only in my watching movies but my defending of the movie to other people really got me interested in other movies.

2001: A Space Odyssey overwhelmed me completely and drew me to consider movies at a higher degree than just entertainment. After that, my outlook changed so much that the previous two movies were completely off my radar screen though I've come back to admire both greatly. This movie really changed my life.

Walkabout made me believe in myself that I could actually make a living of making movies since I was in belief that it was for people a lot more talented to me. But the simple visual poetry in it very much went to my liking and understanding that it made me believe I could do it and understand how to do it.

~rougerum

Cecil

ive been a huge fan of cinema since i can remember, but i became a "real" film buff in 97 with:

lost highway
u-turn
jackie brown
the blackout
fargo
crash
boogie nights