The Movie(s) That Made You a Cinephile

Started by phil marlowe, February 20, 2003, 01:14:04 PM

Alexandro

Well, the first movie I ever saw is also the first thing I remember of my life...ever...it's a powerful image: E.T. almost dying on the side of a river...

Right there and then I was forever lost on movies...In childhood, a lot of movies made me wanna be an actor, mainly, I don't know why...:
Disney's The Jungle Book
The Neverending Story
Batman

Then I saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and for the first time knew that there was a director, and that's what I wante to be.

Scent of a Woman, Schindler's List, but mainly Pulp Fiction and Ed Wood changed everything for me. I guess Pulp is the big turning point...

After that, a lot of films hace come along, specially from Kubrik and Scorsese, that have made me just crave to be a filmmaker...

jmj

"Sling Blade" and "Good Will Hunting" did it for me.  I mean I've always loved movies and I've written very visual short stories since I was a child.  I knew I wanted to be a creative entity but wasn't sure exactly how.  For some reason that I couldn't explain to anyone else, those two movies just connected with me on a creative level and filmmaking realized me.
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

snaporaz

Quote from: Newtron
Quote from: snaporazit was only until it came out on video that i saw it again and again and then on like the third of fourth time of watching it, i started to really notice all the small little trivial things the characters say and actually take notice of the photography...

So what you're trying to tell us here is that at first you just wacked off to it, and then on the third/fourth time you stayed to see how the story ends.

yeah. it was only after several viewings of sitting in my own joy juice that i realized it was true. right. and dramatic.

want a fresca?

av8raaron

Sometime around my freshman year of high school I saw "Silence of the Lambs" for the first time.  That being the first film I saw that could really be described as intense, dramatic (meaning not relying on spectacle or comedy), and just plain good that I could appreciate and understand really got me into movies.
Fresh buttered toast.

©brad

I saw Solaris by myself and I really enjoyed the experience. Don't remember ever doing it before, but I knew if I brought along certain friends they wouldn't be diggin it and would ruin it for me. I don't know though, when I see a really good movie I want to share the exp. with an amigo. I actually see a lot of films w/ my mommy, cause she's totally into it. We saw adaptation together and loved it. we still talk about it through emails and stuff.

ahh fuckballs, I meant to post this in the other thread. my bad.

jmj

Quote from: cbrad4dfuckballs

Crazy hype!
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

Born Under Punches

My dad introduced me to a lot of his favorite movies when i was real young (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Animal House, etc.) and my mom preferred me to watch Disney movies starring Dean Jones rather than Transformers or GI Joe.  But when I was 16, I saw a special on Francois Truffaut on one of the movie channels, where they showed The 400 Blows, Jules and Jim, and Shoot the Piano Player back to back.  After that, I became partially obsessed with french art films and the new wave.  

later on, during my last year of high school I got back into watching Hong Kong Cinema after I had to do a report for one of my classes for senior thesis paper I was required to do.  What better way to get a passing grade than compare Melville's Le Samourai with John Woo's The Killer?

budgie

Don't know whether I can claim to be a cinephile exactly, but the first movie I have a powerful impression of (talking cinema visits) is Sleeping Beauty, and the first time I wrote about film it was Time Bandits/Brazil/Baron Munchausen. The first time I wrote seriously about film it was Derek Jarman, and that came from seeing Caravaggio.

The Silver Bullet

The first movie I became obsessive about was Jurassis Park. To me it had everything. It was frightening and funny and a thriller and a romance and all this stuff. And it had dinosaurs in it, too. I guess that would have come out here in late 1993. There are only two theatre experiences that I can recall every moment of, the second of which is Moulin Rouge. I remember when I jumped and when I laughed and what it was like when I left, and where I sat, and the line to get in, I can remember everything about the time I saw Jurassic Park. I can give you a running commentary. That I read both the novel based on the film and the novel upon which the novel was based, purchased the Jurassic Park companion, bought the toys, started a club which dedicated free time at school to drawing pictures, and made up a song about the raptors in the kitchen...all that goes without saying.

I still wanted to be an actor until I was in grade seven, but it was Jurassic Park, way back in grade two, that got me hooked on movies. The thing that got me hooked to filmmaking wasn't so much a movie, but an experience. Myself and five friends won a trip to Paris to take part in the International Children's Summit at Disneyland, and a director/producer from the Disney Channel followed us around and made a doco about it. And he would give us the camera and tell us to go off and shoot a whole heap of stuff. And shoot stuff we did. And I've been hooked on the feeling ever since.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

cowboykurtis

coppola's the conversation
kubrick's the shining
saw them when i was 10 -- changed everything
...your excuses are your own...

bonanzataz

there are no specific movies. my mom raised me on good cinema from a young age. she'd always rent these obscure movies at the video store and we'd sit and watch them (at age 7 I was the only one I knew that loved movies in black and white or with subtitles (my mom loved the actress Gong Li when I was little, she was always frequently in our VCR)). We loved camp cinema like Mommie Dearest or Cry-Baby (personal favorites of mine to this day). Then I wanted to conquer my fear of horror movies and the first things I watched were Nightmare on Elm St, the Omen, and the Shining. shining was my favorite (of course...). I keep thinking to myself that I was never seriously into film until 3 years ago, but I think back further and that's not true because I've always loved movies and wanted to do something with movies. I've always made little things on my video camera since I was little and was fairly well versed in cinema. so, no, there was no one movie that made me want to become a filmmaker, I've always had a passion to tell a story, and film is the best way I know how.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Thecowgoooesmooo

At a friend's house... Late at night... At a extremely young age... I cleverly stole TOTAL RECALL. My first rated R movie.. That was the one.

2nd big impact was From Dusk Till Dawn when it first came out

chris

chainsmoking insomniac

Unoriginality strikes again!  Boogie Nights was the film that truly made me become a movie buff.  That and American Beauty.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Sleuth

American Beauty I guess.  I was so into it, and when it was over my sister and brother in law go "THAT was the best movie of the year?!  It sucked!"  and I knew from that moment on that I loved movies more than my family THE END
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

Reservoir Dogs made me wanna be a director. Boogie Nights (w/ commentary) taught me how to love film. Magnolia changed everything and made me wanna dedicate my entire life to film. Taxi Driver (on re-watch) showed me how I wanna make films. 8 1/2 made me wanna watch EVERY film. Walkabout showed me just how perfect a movie can be.

Props to Kubrick, The Maysles Brothers, and Godard, as well.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.