The Movie(s) That Made You a Cinephile

Started by phil marlowe, February 20, 2003, 01:14:04 PM

Gamblour.

I'm 21, and the only things I probably didn't understand were maybe cultural things? I don't remember. I probably thought Fellini was alright and Kurosawa too long. Understanding wasn't hard.
WWPTAD?

JG

A lot of the ideas in La Dolce Vita were too abstract for me at 15.  They kinda still hard.  That's a dense movie, and I mean that in a good way.  

For Fellini, La Strada is probably the best "starter" movie for obvious reasons.    

Anyways, at 15 I watched La Dolce Vita and 8 1/2...A couple Truffaut...and Rashomon.  I liked em all, but only now do I love them.  I got into them because I watched something about Scorsese and how he much he loved Foreign Cinema (or something along those lines.)  Then I found out how Tarantino--my idol at the time--was inspired by the French New Wave.  Ironically, I didn't rent any Godard.

Pubrick

future JimmyGator threads:

-how old were you when you first became orson welles
-how old were you when you first were elected president
-how old were you when you first landed on the moon
-yes, BUT HOW OLD WERE YOU????
under the paving stones.

JG

Myxo

Quote from: Pubrickfuture JimmyGator threads:

-how old were you when you first became orson welles
-how old were you when you first were elected president
-how old were you when you first landed on the moon
-yes, BUT HOW OLD WERE YOU????

You forgot,

-how old were you when you started liking fruit? how/why?

Tictacbk

...how old were you when you first posed a question just so you could answer it yourself?

JG

I didn't ask the question so I could answer it myself, but it seems like no one wants to answer and just criticize me for asking a question.  I was just trying to start conversation.  

It didn't work though.

Tictacbk

Ok ok, fair enough...

When I was 16 or 17 I read stuff Tarantino had said about Godard.  Me and my friend rented Breathless, fell in love with that...saw Band of Outsiders, bought that.  Watched some Kurosawa...admired it.  But I wasn't even close to being "into" foreign films.  Theres still so many I need/want to see.  Now that I'm at school I have the chance to be exposed to a lot of them.

Although thats none of this turned me into a cinephile...the answer to that question, I still don't know.

Pubrick

Quote from: JimmyGatorcriticize me for asking a question.
the joke is u always ask the same question.

how old were you when you first started asking the same question?
under the paving stones.

JG

ah, i see now.  i forgot i made another thread similiar to this one (you mean the one about writing screenplays?).  i thought u were making fun of me just based on this thread alone, which would have been unfair.  

fair enough.  i guess in retrospect it is kinda wierd--i never really noticed that i did that but i guess it's kinda true.  i've been thinking a lot lately that i started doing things too late--started watching foreign movies too late, started writing too late.   i guess it subconciously affects what threads i start.

matt35mm

I don't think you should worry about getting into it too late.  Just realize that it will take you a certain amount of time of being immersed in cinema before you get to where ever it is you want to be at.

Don't waste time regretting not getting into it earlier.  Age makes little difference in most cases anyway.  A 25-year-old who was into movies since age 10 is not a better (and often worse) "cinephile" than a 35-year-old who was into movies since age 20.  Writers who start young don't really have a history of being better than writers who start late, if say they've both been writing for 15 years.

Even if what you want to do is direct.  Many directors make their debuts after age 40.  Producers aren't more apt to give a job to a 25 or 30 year old than a 40 year old.

But yeah, regretting that is a total waste of time.  Just focus on, and more importantly, ENJOY all that you have to learn and see still.  I think that attitude will get you tons further.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

If you start out late, just remind yourself that your magnum opus isn't Alone In The Dark, and that should ease any doubts you may have about yourself.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Sunrise

For me it was Taxi Driver.

I saw it my freshman year in college. For a kid growing up pretty much on films like the original Star Wars Trilogy and Back to the Future, Taxi Driver, like going to college, totally changed my perspective. I had never realized the potential of this new world until I followed the Taxi Driver trail into other Scorsese works, which lead to countless other filmmakers and films.

I envy some of the younger members that had a slightly earlier start than I, but I completely agree with what matt35mm said previously in that its about the enjoyment. It feels like you can never get to a point where there isn't something new to see or learn...and that is a very good thing.

Derek237

I've loved movies since birth, but I guess my '237' namesake, The Shining, is what got me into cinephilia. Not necessarily the movie itself, but it got me interested in Kubrick, and from there, well, that's history. ;)

Pubrick

Quote from: Derek237 on January 09, 2006, 09:38:10 PM
I've loved movies since birth, but I guess my '237' namesake, The Shining, is what got me into cinephilia.
that's interesting, cos the room 237 scene is what got me into necrophelia.  :ponder:
under the paving stones.