Laserdisc

Started by Chest Rockwell, January 18, 2004, 08:27:10 AM

Chest Rockwell

I'm thinking of buying a laserdisc player so I can get movies for cheap. I just want to know if it's worth the money. Do the Criterion laserdiscs have the same features as their DVDs? Is the quality as good or nearly as good as DVD quality? That's really all I can think of at the moment.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Chest RockwellDo the Criterion laserdiscs have the same features as their DVDs?

Sometimes the laserdiscs have more features than the DVDs, as with the case of the Criterion "Silence Of The Lambs". Also the Criterion "Se7en" had more extras than the version New Line put out. Criterion "Crash" has a Cronenberg commentary that the DVD doesn't have.

Quote from: Chest RockwellIs the quality as good or nearly as good as DVD quality?

I think so.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

So I should go ahead and put up the money for one, then?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Chest RockwellSo I should go ahead and put up the money for one, then?

I would. There are things on laser that will never be on DVD. And laserdiscs and players are incedible cheap now, you could find some great deals.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

do general stores like say best buy or something like that, do they still sell them?  or would u have to do it off the internet?  if u dont know i can look for myself, but i think u might  :)

MacGuffin

Quote from: ewarddo general stores like say best buy or something like that, do they still sell them?  or would u have to do it off the internet?

Your best bet to finding laserdiscs nowadays is the internet. Even the store where I bought the bulk of my collection has them in limited supply and does their business on ebay.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

Rudie Obias

the quality of sound and picture on a laserdisc is better than the quality of sound and picture on a dvd.  (IMO)
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

GoneSavage

Yeah, but don't you have to flip those suckers over mid-movie.  Talk about annoying.

billybrown

Quote from: rudieobthe quality of sound and picture on a laserdisc is better than the quality of sound and picture on a dvd.  (IMO)

Ah, let's see here... no.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: GoneSavageYeah, but don't you have to flip those suckers over mid-movie.  Talk about annoying.

Just get one of those auto-flipping players. There's probably some sort of pause while it flips, but it'd only be a few seconds.

Quote from: rudieobthe quality of sound and picture on a laserdisc is better than the quality of sound and picture on a dvd. (IMO)

I can't imagine it would be better...otherwise the laserdisc would have hit off a little better than it did.

GoneSavage

Billy Brown, Jack White must be a Laserdisc fan and beat you up for your comments.

Pas

What I love about Laserdiscs (and vinyls for that matter) is the big picture on the cover. It is so big. And sometimes, the cover of the DVD is lame and has all kind of critics' comments on it, but on the laserdisc it's just the big beautiful picture.

The beautiful picture is big and I like it.

Xixax

Plus, they're so big and pretty and shiny!

I have a couple of LD's that I bought just to own, even though I didn't/don't own a player. They've both been released on DVD, so they're pretty worthless now.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Derek

If you ever want to own the Star Wars trilogy in its original form, laserdisc is probably the last place to own a quality version of it.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.