nominating the 2004 xixax awards

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2004, 09:01:01 PM

Sigur Rós

.........Punch-Drunk Love nomited as best DVD-release how typical xixax  :-D

brockly

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: Brock Landers

And how do you know who we are?.... I mean "they"!! How do you know who they are?
Um.. admins tally the votes?

I thought it was only MacGuffin, Jeremy Blackman and Film Student?

Quote from: NEON MERCURYLOTR......better film than pdl

:shock:

Pubrick

thank u to everyone who laughed and didn't cry like a stupid bitch.

especially NEON, for his insightful analysis.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

here are the nominees again from a few pages back,

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanIt's time to vote for the 2004 Xixax Awards! This is the final vote!

Send your votes in through PM, following all the rules. The deadline is February 20.

Any questions? Ask them here.

THE RULES:

you have to
1. vote privately:
. . . .If your username begins begins with A-H (or a #), send your ballot to MacGuffin
. . . .If your username begins begins with I-Q, send your ballot to Jeremy Blackman
. . . .If your username begins begins with R-Z, send your ballot to Film Student
. . . .(note that this is different)
2. copy the form below and paste it into your PM
3. delete all titles except your vote, like an elimination process
4. title your PM "final awards" (please!)

you should
1. be honest
2. vote from personal opinion and not consensus

you can't
1. send more than one ballot
2. vote from different memberships or usernames
3. type out your ballot (you have to copy & paste!)
4. add anything to the ballot
5. change the order of the categories
6. share your votes publicly (yet)
7. change your ballot

you can
1. vote in some categories or all categories
2. vote any time between now and February 20

copy and paste, deleting all titles but your vote

BEST FILM  
21 Grams
Finding Nemo
Kill Bill: Volume 1
Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
Lost In Translation

BEST DIRECTOR  
Tim Burton (BIG FISH)
Sofia Coppola (LOST IN TRANSLATION)
Clint Eastwood (MYSTIC RIVER)
Peter Jackson (LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING)
Quentin Tarantino (KILL BILL: VOLUME 1)

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE  
Scarlett Johansson (LOST IN TRANSLATION)
Nicole Kidman (COLD MOUNTAIN)
Alison Lohman (MATCHSTICK MEN)
Uma Thurman (KILL BILL: Volume 1)
Naomi Watts (21 GRAMS)

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE  
Benicio Del Toro (21 GRAMS)
Johnny Depp (PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN)
Paul Giamatti (AMERICAN SPLENDOR)
Bill Murray (LOST IN TRANSLATION)
Sean Penn (MYSTIC RIVER)

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE PERFORMANCE  
Marcia Gay Harden (MYSTIC RIVER)
Holly Hunter (THIRTEEN)
Lucy Liu (KILL BILL: VOLUME 1)
Emma Thompson (LOVE ACTUALLY)
Renee Zellwegger (COLD MOUNTAIN)

BEST SUPPORTING MALE PERFORMANCE  
Sean Astin (LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING)
Paul Bettany (MASTER AND COMMANDER)
Tim Robbins (MYSTIC RIVER)
Andy Serkis (LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING)
Ken Watanabe (THE LAST SAMURAI)

BEST SCREENPLAY  
21 Grams
American Splendor
Lost In Translation
Mystic River

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY  
Cold Mountain
The Last Samurai
The Lord of the Rings: The Return Of The King
Lost In Translation

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC  
Big Fish
Finding Nemo
The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
Lost In Translation

BEST EDITING  
21 Grams
Hulk
Lost In Translation

BEST SOUND  
Finding Nemo
Hulk
Matrix Reloaded

BEST DEBUT FILM  
American Splendor
Cabin Fever
City Of God
The Station Agent
Thirteen

BEST DOCUMENTARY  
Capturing The Friedmans
A Decade Under The Influence
Fog Of War
Spellbound
Winged Migration

BEST DVD
Casablanca (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Criterion)
The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (Special Extended Edition)
 Straw Dogs (Criterion)

DON'T DELAY VOTE NOW
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

I'm going to vote for the PDL dvd because it does have the nicest package going for a good film out of the bunch. Besides, its the only dvd of them with exception to Casablanca that I even own. I'm not a fan of director commentaries, so I like the minimal special features and focus instead on bringing the best transfer they can to the film. And people, really, don't take P serious on what he says.

cine

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'm going to vote for the PDL dvd because it does have the nicest package going for a good film out of the bunch. Besides, its the only dvd of them with exception to Casablanca that I even own. I'm not a fan of director commentaries, so I like the minimal special features and focus instead on bringing the best transfer they can to the film. And people, really, don't take P serious on what he says.
Well that chalks up a win for PDL.  :roll:
I see what you're saying, GT, but you probably shouldn't be officially ANNOUNCING your vote, especially since now you're going to gain support for your pro-PDL comments and it really isn't necessary. People should just check out the DVDs and make their own calls.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'm going to vote for the PDL dvd because it does have the nicest package going for a good film out of the bunch. Besides, its the only dvd of them with exception to Casablanca that I even own. I'm not a fan of director commentaries, so I like the minimal special features and focus instead on bringing the best transfer they can to the film. And people, really, don't take P serious on what he says.
Well that chalks up a win for PDL.  :roll:
I see what you're saying, GT, but you probably shouldn't be officially ANNOUNCING your vote, especially since now you're going to gain support for your pro-PDL comments and it really isn't necessary. People should just check out the DVDs and make their own calls.

Ahh and what about P's highly charged negative comments about PDL that started this whole argument? A lot of people agreed with him and it started a steamrolling consensus that PDL didn't deserve to win best dvd. That seemed as much as a blatant opinion as what I said. Really, though, I don't care. Most arguments on this board are petty anyways in that they are limited to the "I'm right, you're wrong" bullshit. Its no secret I have grief with a lot of people here, that I believe many admins have no reason to be admins and a lot of members seem to be here for social reasons only. I really don't care anymore what consequences my posts bring upon me.

Vile5

i don't feel able to vote  :( , i haven't seen many of films nominated  :cry:  so i prefer just see the final result :|
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

MacGuffin

Quote from: Vile5i don't feel able to vote  :( , i haven't seen many of films nominated  :cry:  so i prefer just see the final result :|

You have until the 20th, so if you're able to catch a couple more of the films, and help you decide, then that's fine. Take your time. But, remember, you don't have to vote for all catagories. You can vote for only the catagories you want to or feel you have the best judgment on.

Everyone's vote counts.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

Why is it in P's copied and pasted "Don't Delay Vote Now" for the vote (which I chose to copy and paste for my ballot) is PDL not on the DVD list.  Come on, isn't he an admin?  Shouldn't this vote be fair?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Just vote for it, I'm sure P erased PDL by accident.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SHAFTR

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobJust vote for it, I'm sure P erased PDL by accident.

I did vote for it.  It wasn't erased on accident, it was the 4th one listed, not the 5th.

Pubrick

Quote from: SHAFTRWhy is it in P's copied and pasted "Don't Delay Vote Now" for the vote (which I chose to copy and paste for my ballot) is PDL not on the DVD list.  Come on, isn't he an admin?  Shouldn't this vote be fair?
that was the joke.

jesus christ something is wrong with u walrus-heads.

if ur opinion is changed by what sumone here says then u really don't hav much belief in ur own choice. vote for whatever u want. and know that u hav no sense of humor.
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

Quote from: P
Quote from: SHAFTRWhy is it in P's copied and pasted "Don't Delay Vote Now" for the vote (which I chose to copy and paste for my ballot) is PDL not on the DVD list.  Come on, isn't he an admin?  Shouldn't this vote be fair?
that was the joke.

jesus christ something is wrong with u walrus-heads.

but your joke could jeopardize the voting.  It would be different if you were just a normal member but you are an admin.  If xixax wants to take itself seriously and have these votes, etc. (which I am all for) it is only right that the people who are important in xixax (the admins) handle them in a serious manner.

PS> I do have a sense of humor, you just aren't funny.

SoNowThen

Voting for PDL to be best dvd is as fucking retarded as not voting Kill Bill for best cinematography.

Seriously, I almost guarantee that the folks who vote for PDL don't even own Straw Dogs or Fear & Loathing.

And if I'm wrong, well then...

... I guess there's a first time for everything.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.