nominating the 2004 xixax awards

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2004, 09:01:01 PM

SoNowThen

Quote from: PATTN: if PDL wins the DVD category

i will personally ban every f*cko who voted for it

that is all.

Agreed.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThen

that is all.

Agreed.

I didn't vote for it (is that okay to say?), but I actually wouldn't blame anyone who did. It's a very nice package, IMO. There was just another, more important movie with just as nice a presentation that I happened to vote for... (now, I know that's not okay to reveal yet...)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SHAFTR

Quote from: SoNowThen

that is all.

ban me.

The film,  video & audio is top notch.  The packaging is one of the best.  The Blossoms & Blood special feature and the D&D Mattress Man commercial are 2 of my favorite extras ever.  I've watched each numerous times.  I have many other DVDs with much more features but I'd prefer to have a disc with a handfull of stuff I really like than a disc with a whole bunch of stuff I'll watch once in my life.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

It's a good package, but there's another DVD I can think of to vote for instead of one with blossoms and blood eye candy...

SHAFTR

that is a profound entry into this conversation.
Very interesting idea.  Good thoughts.  I'm still not going to assist your cause.

brockly

that is all.

And how do you know who we are?.... I mean "they"!! How do you know who they are?

cine

Quote from: Brock Landers

And how do you know who we are?.... I mean "they"!! How do you know who they are?
Um.. admins tally the votes?

SoNowThen

The dvds are a moot point anyway, because clearly the Doinel box set was the best of the year, and it wasn't even on the list.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenThe dvds are a moot point anyway, because clearly the Doinel box set was the best of the year, and it wasn't even on the list.

I think I pretty well agree with this... it would at least be a toss-up for me between the Doinel and the BRD Trilogy.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

Quote from: SHAFTRban me.
The film,  video & audio is top notch.  The packaging is one of the best.  The Blossoms & Blood special feature and the D&D Mattress Man commercial are 2 of my favorite extras ever.  I've watched each numerous times.  I have many other DVDs with much more features but I'd prefer to have a disc with a handfull of stuff I really like than a disc with a whole bunch of stuff I'll watch once in my life.
yeah but if PDL had a making of doc like That Moment, or a commentary or two like Boogie Nights, wouldnt that make it a lot better?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

mine was signed by the man himself so that makes it my favorite of the year.  i did NOT vote for it however.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: SHAFTRban me.
yeah but if PDL had a making of doc like That Moment, or a commentary or two like Boogie Nights, wouldnt that make it a lot better?

yes, but boogie nights & magnolia aren't nominated.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

that is all.

Ok, screw that, this is a message board where a large majority of people worship PTA and you expect them to not vote for it?  Not that we should automatically vote for it because we like him, but chances are, people will vote for him.

Personally, I did not vote for it.  But it's hardly wrong for someone to do so.  Chill out.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SoNowThen

Yeah, but we have to trust (in the sake of good discussions, et al) that people use their heart AND THEIR BRAIN when voting. Best dvd does not mean "best film" or "best director". I mean, I'm truly baffled it even got a nomination. Endless PTA worship gets real stale and real old fast. We've had to put up with retards getting down on the fact that we like such a young and recent director, and it undermines our argument that he really is a genius if we just praise every single thing he does as our blind reaction.

NEON MERCURY

that is all.

BEST DVD
Casablanca (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Criterion)
The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (Special Extended Edition)
Punch-Drunk Love
Straw Dogs (Criterion)

P.is right .about this........i'm not goping to campaign for a single choice but ..lets look at this together.....

first casablanca.its better film.two comm tracks and a wealth of extras....
..its solid.its a nice choice.....

fear and loathing.its abetter film than pdl........the transfer is perfedt like pdl .phucking HST comm track and gilliam.etc. extras out the ass....another nice choice....

LOTR......better film than pdl....IMO..........and the extras are ridiculous abundant .and necessary for a film of this caliber........an obvious good choice....

straw dogs........i liked pdl better than this(i own it also)......but once again its a solid ttransfer.litle lacking on extras compard to the other choicew.but still its a fine choice.........

so thats that ..remeber we are taling about best dvd....so that means you(i.e. the voter).....must think of what makesea truly great dvd....

1.0 the actual film doesn't matter.its the transfer and audio that counts..this needs to be top notch

2.0  extras......seriously, if all dvds offerd was just pretty transfer and audio bu tno extras.the format would not have taken off as nigh as it did...we love extras.and the more the better......and we want good extras...documentaries on rpoductio..and commentaries.etc, etc,.a dvd needs to have a solid extras.....

3.0  lastly, packaging....and cover art.thjis may be picky but a truly great dvd needs to be packaged well.for refernces(LOTR:EE's, fear and loathing criterion, etc, etc, )...and honeslty pdl does hace a nice package.......

so P.is correect after one considers these factorsd of what makes a dvd great...then even mentioning pdl in the league withthe others is ...so..(derogatory insert)_____________________....

later.........