nominating the 2004 xixax awards

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2004, 09:01:01 PM

Jeremy Blackman

THE RESULTS ARE IN.

IMPORTANT: Do Not Vote Yet. We'll get to that soon, with official rules and a deadline.

BEST FILM
21 Grams
Finding Nemo
Kill Bill: Volume 1
Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
Lost In Translation

BEST DIRECTOR
Tim Burton (Big Fish)
Sofia Coppola (Lost in Translation)
Clint Eastwood (Mystic River)
Peter Jackson (Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King)
Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill: Volume 1)

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE
Scarlett Johansson (Lost in Translation)
Nicole Kidman (Cold Mountain)
Alison Lohman (Matchstick Men)
Uma Thurman (Kill Bill)
Naomi Watts (21 Grams)

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE
Benicio Del Toro (21 Grams)
Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl)
Paul Giamatti (American Splendor)
Bill Murray (Lost in Translation)
Sean Penn (Mystic River)

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE PERFORMANCE
Marcia Gay Harden (Mystic River)
Holly Hunter (Thirteen)
Lucy Liu (Kill Bill: Volume 1)
Emma Thompson (Love Actually)
Renee Zellwegger (Cold Mountain)

BEST SUPPORTING MALE PERFORMANCE
Sean Astin (Lord of the Rings: Return of the King)
Paul Bettany (Master and Commander)
Tim Robbins (Mystic River)
Andy Serkis (Lord Of The Rings: The Return On The King)
Ken Watanabe (The Last Samurai)

BEST SCREENPLAY
21 Grams (Guillermo Arriaga & Alejandro González Iñárritu)
American Splendor (Shari Springer Berman & Robert Pulcini)
Kill Bill: Volume 1 (Quentin Tarantino)
Lost In Translation (Sophia Coppola)
Mystic River (Brian Helgeland)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Cold Mountain (John Seale)
Kill Bill: Volume 1 (Robert Richardson)
The Last Samurai (John Toll)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return Of The King (Andrew Lesnie)
Lost In Translation (Lance Acord)

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC
Big Fish (Danny Elfman)
Finding Nemo (Thomas Newman)
Kill Bill: Volume 1 (RZA)
The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King (Howard Shore)
Lost In Translation (Brian Reitzell & Kevin Shields)

BEST EDITING
21 Grams (Stephen Mirrione)
Hulk (Tim Squyres)
Kill Bill: Volume 1 (Sally Menke)
The Lord of the Rings: Return Of The King (Annie Collins & Jamie Selkirk)
Lost In Translation (Sarah Flack)

BEST SOUND
Finding Nemo
Hulk
Kill Bill: Volume 1
The Lord of the Rings: The Return Of The King
Matrix Reloaded

BEST DEBUT FILM
American Splendor
Cabin Fever
City Of God
The Station Agent
Thirteen

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Capturing The Friedmans
A Decade Under The Influence
Fog Of War
Spellbound
Winged Migration

BEST DVD
Casablanca - Two-Disc Special Edition
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Criterion
The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (Special Extended Edition)
Punch-Drunk Love
Straw Dogs - Criterion

ono

I totally forgot to send my nominations in.  Oh well, I doubt it would've changed things much, except for maybe in the actor and actress categories (Keisha Castle-Hughes for Whale Rider, Jack Black for School of Rock, Philip Seymour Hoffman for Owning Mahowney, Djimon Hounsou for In America).  But I doubt the people I was thinking of nominating were people others had thought of as well.  Still, though, the nominations look good.

cine

Quote from: Onomatopoeia(Keisha Castle-Hughes for Whale Rider)
But I doubt the people I was thinking of nominating were people others had thought of as well.
Think again. :(

Weak2ndAct

Wow.  I'm incredibly shocked how, dare I say, 'safe' these picks were.  I would have thought All the Real Girls, Gerry, or Elephant would have gotten some props.

And PDL in the dvd picks... :roll:

picolas

MacGuffin

Quote from: Weak2ndActI would have thought Gerry, or Elephant would have gotten some props.

They spilt the votes.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: picolas;For the public record: FUCK
agree.

let it be known officially that this is a mainstream site.
under the paving stones.

Sleepless

Quote from: P
agree.

Far more mainstream than I thought it'd be. Obviously you got Kill Bill and ROTK which are very mainstream anyway, but loads of the rest is very mainstream too. Overall pretty bland choices, though a couple of nice surprises scattered throughout. Sure though, if you think the nominations are a disappointment, that the actual winners will pretty much unanimous.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

ono

Quote from: P
agree.

And what changes would make the nominations less "FUCK?"  I really don't see what the big deal is, 'cause most of the mainstream movies that were nominated were actually good movies.  It would be different if shit like the Matrix movies were nominated, though in hindsight I do question Kill Bill: Volume 1 being there.  21 Grams is hardly mainstream (and hardly great, but that's beside the point).  All the Real Girls was marginal at best; a film with memorable moments, but weak dialogue and execution.  I don't see why people here drool so much over that film; George Washington was better.  Gerry, from mod-age's description, sounds like pretentious shit.  Granted, I didn't get to see it in the whole weekend it came here, but it is on my list of "must see" films, if you could call it that.  Elephant hasn't even been released in theatres here yet, because it keeps getting delayed by the distributor.  But what do I know; I didn't nominate anything.

And, it really sucks that Finding Nemo is lumped in with those other films.  It's clearly the best animated film of the year, and perhaps the past five years, but it most likely won't get any kudos going up against Lost in Translation and 21 Grams.

SHAFTR

All the Real Girls, In America, The Station Agent & American Splendor are 3 films I would have liked to seen more for.

Although I did see the first 2 after turning in my ballot.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Sleepless

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaAnd, it really sucks that Finding Nemo is lumped in with those other films.  It's clearly the best animated film of the year, and perhaps the past five years, but it most likely won't get any kudos going up against Lost in Translation and 21 Grams.

You're kidding me. Finding Nemo sucks. Triplettes de Belleville is far better, and more deserving.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Pas

Kill Bill will be this year's PDL. Not that I didn't vote nominate in every category it got nominated in though.

cine

Quote from: SleeplessYou're kidding me. Finding Nemo sucks. Triplettes de Belleville is far better, and more deserving.
How, may I ask, did Finding Nemo suck?

SoNowThen

no Elephant noms.
no 21 Grams for best cinematography.
no City Of God for best picture.

I knew I was gonna hate the oscars, I didn't think I would be so fucking choked with this site.

:(
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

RegularKarate

yeah... well, I don't think people put much thought into the votes this year.

I saw some of the dumbest shit being nominated.  This is how the oscars work too though.

I wouldn't care if we called it off, really.  

I like Kill Bill as much as the next guy, but "Best Screenplay?"