Editing Theory

Started by ono, January 07, 2004, 04:34:07 PM

picolas

i made two renegade edits of the last thing on friday but it was at school and i only realized how to upload from there when it was too late.

Jeremy Blackman

That second one is fabulous. Use it, kotte!

matt35mm

It certainly made me LOL.

Dtm115300

Im just saying something i love about editing. Watch a movie all the way through ok. Try to notice the cuts, or changes in camera angles. A well edited film flows so smothly that you never notice any of that. As film lovers i guess we see that stuff, but watch it with a friend that isn't in to film, someone that just likes to watch movies. They don't see that stuff. I just thing thats cool.

ono

I like how if I'm trying to watch a movie for a while, looking at just the edits (and maybe some of the sound), if it's a well-made movie, I can't really do it for long because I'll get sucked back in.

Ghostboy

Yeah, me too. Sometimes I'll watch a movie for the specific purpose of examining its technique...and then suddenly it'll be over and I haven't examined a single thing. But if it's a good movie, it's edifying on a subconscious level, too.

Myxo

Quote from: GhostboyYeah, me too. Sometimes I'll watch a movie for the specific purpose of examining its technique...and then suddenly it'll be over and I haven't examined a single thing. But if it's a good movie, it's edifying on a subconscious level, too.

I tried to do that with Magnolia like the fourth time I saw it in the theater.

:lol:

That was a lesson in futulity. I think you're right. When something is well made it's difficult to try and put it in a box or examine technique. You just get lost, ya know?

RegularKarate

I find that after a project, I start to see movies as seperate shots edited together without trying.  It's just something that happens for a while after I've edited something.  Especially after film school... for about four or five months after, I really had trouble watching films as a whole.

Quote from: wantautopia?I like how if I'm trying to watch a movie for a while, looking at just the edits (and maybe some of the sound), if it's a well-made movie, I can't really do it for long because I'll get sucked back in.

do it with a notebook and a pen
context, context, context.

ono

cine

MAURA DID THAT IN A DELETED SCENE FROM PRIMAL FEAR

ono

Quote from: In the 'What are you reading?' thread, kotte
Quote from: ono mo cuishleIn the Blink of an Eye by Walter Murch.  Thanks, Mr. Kotteeeeeeh.

So what do you think about it?
Excellent so far.  I love how fast a read it is.  And you know that feeling when you've learned something and you know it's right and you feel your brain forming a new wrinkle because it's just so perfect and you can't believe you didn't see it before?  That's the feeling I got when I read the little ditty called "Don't Worry, It's Only A Movie."  The theories about blinking you thought were awesome were the exact same thing I loved.  One of the best insights I've ever seen about editing, and it's so obvious, so simple.  The next chapter's follow-up is great about elaborating and expanding on it.  Here's hoping it gets better.

soixante

If you want to study the editing of a film, watch it with the sound turned off.  Or, start watching it half-way through, so you don't get emotionally involved in the story.  I don't really study the editing of a film until I've seen it a few times, so I can digest the storyline and emotional content and study it in a clnical way.
Music is your best entertainment value.

kotte

Quote from: ono mo cuishle
Quote from: In the 'What are you reading?' thread, kotte
Quote from: ono mo cuishleIn the Blink of an Eye by Walter Murch.  Thanks, Mr. Kotteeeeeeh.

So what do you think about it?
Excellent so far.  I love how fast a read it is.  And you know that feeling when you've learned something and you know it's right and you feel your brain forming a new wrinkle because it's just so perfect and you can't believe you didn't see it before?  That's the feeling I got when I read the little ditty called "Don't Worry, It's Only A Movie."  The theories about blinking you thought were awesome were the exact same thing I loved.  One of the best insights I've ever seen about editing, and it's so obvious, so simple.  The next chapter's follow-up is great about elaborating and expanding on it.  Here's hoping it gets better.

It is a very fast read.
At one point in the book he explains how he knows exactly where to cut and he simply let the film run in normal mode and hits the "cut-key" when he feels a cut would be appropriate. And he does this two or three times. If he doesn't land on the exact fram every time it's not a good cut.
This kinda freaked me out because there's no chance in hell I could ever do that (I tried). But then I realized he's talking from decades of experience...and it calmed me down.

I'm glad you like it.

modage

there is a great documentary i am watching now on the new Bullitt: SE about editing called The Cutting Edge: The Magic Of Movie Editing.  it basically goes back to silent films and covers the entire history of editing in 98 minutes. and it features interviews with M. Scorsese, A. Payne, G. Lucas, S. Spielberg, Q. Tarantino, R. Scott, J. Dante, L. Kasdan, J. Cameron, W. Craven, S. Penn, J. Foster, P. Verhoeven, A. Minghella, along with actual editors W. Murch, T. Schoonmaker, D. Tichenor, etc. and lots more.  anyway, it's pretty facinating history and somewhat of an idiots guide to editing.  http://imdb.com/title/tt0428441/ mac, have you watched this thing yet?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.