is this a screenplay don't??

Started by tpfkabi, February 11, 2003, 03:00:06 PM

tpfkabi

including the names of songs and their lengths?

i'm working on a script and music is very, very important. most people write screenplays, someone films them, then edits, and THEN someone puts music to it. i have written most of it with specific songs in mind, and the action, dialogue, editing, etc is done to fit with these songs and must be on cue with verses, choruses, etc.

i also want to put camera shots, movements, etc, but i believe thats a no-no too.

maybe i should look at a PTA script(d0es he include camera placement?). i guess i have an autuer mindset like he and wes anderson
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

RegularKarate

The screenplays you read by P.T. are shooting scripts and he probably just starts writing them like that because he'll be directing them.

If you're writing it as a writer to sell and someone else is making it.  Putting music cues in there is just as bad as putting camera angles.

BonBon85

I remember there being big debates on this subject on the PTA board. If I were you I'd remember that most people won't bother to find the songs and play them while reading your script, so it won't do much good to write them in. Camera directions can be a little annoying. I'd suggest making a version for yourself with the directions and a different one for others to read that doesn't include them.

Xixax

I'd think it depends on the context of what you're writing...

Like you guys said. If you're writing for yourself to shoot something as a hobbyist (like a short), then I think it's entirely appropriate.

If you're writing to sell, then that's another whole ball of wax.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

MacGuffin

If they are integral to the scene, in that the characters comment on them or they dance to a certain song, then it is fine. But if they are there just because you think it's a cool song you had in mind when you wrote the scene, then it's best to keep them to yourself and bring it up during shooting and/or editing. (Cameron Crowe plays music, usually what will be in the final cut, on set to get the actors in the mood) As for the camera directions, use only when it fits the scene. For example, when the audience sees something that the character(s) don't, or vice versa, etc. There are also ways around putting in CAMERA TRACKS WITH or the like. In certain cases just be subtle, but don't over use, and always have a purpose for the move: FOLLOW an excited MacGuffin as he RUNS from his car to the house to play his "Living In Oblivion" DVD.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

put all the music and camera angles in you want, but write those descriptions in red (or some other color) so the readers can easily identify them and just jump over those technical details and not ruin the pacing

bonanzataz

I always use the little side-note or script-note feature in Final Draft that basically puts your note as an icon that you have to click to view. That way, if I ever want to show it to somebody and not let them know how I'm planning to direct a scene, I don't have to worry. It also makes me look a lot more professional.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

©brad

Quote from: cecil b. dementedput all the music and camera angles in you want, but write those descriptions in red (or some other color) so the readers can easily identify them and just jump over those technical details and not ruin the pacing

oh no no no.

Cecil

why not? i know it isnt "professional" but i doubt hes going to seek studio backing

Quote from: bonanzatazI always use the little side-note or script-note feature in Final Draft that basically puts your note as an icon that you have to click to view. That way, if I ever want to show it to somebody and not let them know how I'm planning to direct a scene, I don't have to worry. It also makes me look a lot more professional.

anyway this is a better thing to do if you have screenwriting software

tpfkabi

how about this format (this is a Graduate screenplay i found online)http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/8200/graduate.txt
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

BonBon85

This is from an article about a Richard Kelly script:
About the script for DOMINO, I think there's probably a CD that is supposed to go with this script. I didn't get one, but the inside front page has a definition for the word, "Accompaniment" and notes that you should play the track and song signified. Given the tracks listed throughout the script... this film could have an AWESOME soundtrack.

So I guess it's a matter of taste.