Something Great!!!

Started by SoNowThen, October 28, 2003, 01:59:25 PM

edison

Quote from: NEON MERCURY...i still think this is a steal..getting y tu mama tambien for 9.99,,great film/great extras for the price..

..i do remember gettign straw dogs criterion for cheap.....
..also if any who purchased the straw dogs. crit. there is asticker denoting "limited time availabilty"..that is the first time i have seen something like that on a criterion..is it truejusta good marketing ploy.....

it, as well as Spellbound, Notorious, and Rebecca, will go OOP Dec 31, 2003.

SHAFTR

Silence of the Lambs on Criterion for $12.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: EEz28it, as well as Spellbound, Notorious, and Rebecca, will go OOP Dec 31, 2003.

holy shit, really?  i planned on getting the criterion hitchcock box set by christmas anyways, but this cements it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

freakerdude

I just started building my DVD collection an joined up with Columbia House. Sure, their selection is very limited but you can get your staples for ~ $12 to $15 each with the deals they offer during different weeks. They have the latest versions or special editions of DVD's for most of them.
MC Pee Pants

MacGuffin

Quote from: freakerdudeI just started building my DVD collection an joined up with Columbia House. Sure, their selection is very limited but you can get your staples for ~ $12 to $15 each with the deals they offer during different weeks.

But they make up for it in taxes and high S&H charges, which makes the price more expensive if you just bought it at Best Buy or any other retailer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: EEz28
Quote from: NEON MERCURY...i still think this is a steal..getting y tu mama tambien for 9.99,,great film/great extras for the price..

..also if any who purchased the straw dogs. crit. there is asticker denoting "limited time availabilty"..that is the first time i have seen something like that on a criterion..is it truejusta good marketing ploy.....

..thanks for letting me know that...i suggest picking straw dogs, spellbound.,
notorious, and rebecca up by then ......if interested....

one last thing though..*if a certain title in the criterion catalog goes OOP .do they later reissue it???.. or are you S.o.L.????

SoNowThen

Quote from: NEON MERCURY

one last thing though..*if a certain title in the criterion catalog goes OOP .do they later reissue it???.. or are you S.o.L.????

sometimes. they're redoing the Tati movies next year, they redid 400 Blows. ALso, it seems like more copies of Robocop have popped up, but I'm not sure if that's an official thing...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: NEON MERCURY

sometimes. they're redoing the Tati movies next year, they redid 400 Blows. ALso, it seems like more copies of Robocop have popped up, but I'm not sure if that's an official thing...

.. 8) ..thanks..
i just hope for deads ringers....
this sounds crazy but i don't shop online so i need to go to stores and buy stuff like this/that....

SoNowThen

some stores have their hands on oop stuff, and just charge and arm and a leg for it.

also, if you really want a certain movie, most specialty rental stores have lots of oop CC's. You could always rent and burn, or better yet, rent and steal. I work in a collection agency and it's hard for a video store to come after you in you really wanna avoid them. or sometimes they'll just charge your credit card 60 bucks or something for "lost goods", it all depends...

where there's a will there's a way
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: SoNowThenthey're redoing the Tati movies next year,

You're shitting me..... how do you know?  I've just creamed my pants... (not to detract from the official pants creamers on the board)...

nix

You guys probably already know this, but DVD PLANTET has all their Criterions for 35% off all the time.

To put it in perspective:

At a retail store, Straw Dogs averaged about $39.99 before tax. I got it from DVD Planet for 28 bucks and some change AFTER shipping. They don't charge tax or it's already figured in.

The Antoine Donel Box set is 90 bucks at my local Borders. DVD planet has it for $69.99 plus shipping, which ain't much.

Check it out.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

SoNowThen

unfortunately, they don't ship to Canada

nix

Correction:

The Antoine box set is 64.97 plus shipping. Same for the Kurosawa box set. Basically, if a criterion lists for 39.99 retail, dvd planet will have it for around 26 bucks plus shipping. On less expensive titles, like Yojimbo and M it's 19.97 plus shipping. Can't beat it.

And it sucks that they don't ship to Canada. Sorry dude.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

SoNowThen

if there are any fellow Canadians out there who are looking for a decent deal, check out www.cnl.com

They're Vancouver based, and do charge $8 for shipping. But here's the thing: their prices are not that great, however, they have quarterly sales whereby everything is 25% off. Sometimes (especially on box sets) there's some great deals. And the more you buy, the more you save, because they give you a customer rating that goes up with each purchase. It's an option, anyway.

cine

Quote from: SoNowThenif there are any fellow Canadians out there who are looking for a decent deal, check out www.cnl.com
Thankyouverymuch.  :wink: