help with short filmmaking

Started by tpfkabi, January 08, 2003, 10:48:02 PM

aclockworkjj

Well, film school always doesn't mean that much.....but hope your lying and cheating ways work out....Hey, it's got Hollywood written all over it!

Just giving ya shit! :P

Recce

I realize this conversation is pretty much over, but here's my two cents.

I've been editing on my PC (Pentium 3, 600mhz, 128 mb of ram and a 25gb hard drive) for almost two years now with surprising results. Although the limited hard drive space only allows for capture of rushes for a 10 to 13 minute short film, the editing works good enough, even with these limited system resources. I've been using Adobe Premiere and Photoshop. Sure, PCs crash every once in a while, but for the most part, you can work pretty well. The only major trouble I always encounter is exporting. The system isn't quite fast enough, so it usually takes a few tries to get your final project to tape, glitch-free. Its a bitch, but if you're in a bind for cash and absolutely want to edit, it'll do.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

tpfkabi

how do you film / what equipment do you have?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Recce

Quotehow do you film / what equipment do you have?

I have a Sony Digital 8 camcorder (DCR-TRV-525)
Allbeit the computer is a Hewlett-Packard (They make good solid computers, I'm sold to them for life). I added a 100$ pyro digital capture card and I'm set. My video card is only like 8mb, so I'm not quite sure how it works, but it does.

From there, I can capture footage from just about any signal. With my camera, I can capture digital from Digital 8 tapes, I can hook up a VCR through it and capture analog, I can hook up the TV to it and capture from there. I even managed to capture footage from a DVD. I jsut hooked up the cameras cables to the DVD player and the firewire from the camera to the computer. It won't let you record on the camera, but it lets you capture on the computer.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")