chloe sevigny

Started by pookiethecat, October 13, 2003, 02:49:37 AM

pookiethecat

with the recent viewing of the last days of disco and boys don't cry fresh in my mind, i've come to the conclusion that chloe sevigny is one of the best actresses of her generation.  she always chooses the right note in her performances...she understands the vibe of the movies she's in and her performances are so intriguing as a result.  she's also technically perfect.  (her accents, mannerisms are also spot on).   she's the kinda actress i'd go on a blockbuster spree for and rent every movie she's been in that they have (no matter how shitty).  

i'd like to see some of her lesser-known pictures like demonlover, trees lounge, and the party monster.  especially demonlover.  i heard that's a really warped intriguing techno-thriller but one that gives the genre a good name for once...the anti anti-trust.  

by the way, i just saw gummo.  she was f-ing great in that too.  incoherent movie but interesting chloe part.
i wanna lick 'em.

Ghostboy

I love her. I've seen all her films that have been released so far (except for the HBO film)...like you said, she's great even in shitty movies. She's got such a unique beauty to her, and a boldness in her performances. I can think of few actresses could not only do The Brown Bunny, but continue to do other films aftewards.

Demonlover just got released in Dallas this weekend -- I'm hoping to catch it later this week. I don't actually expect it to be very good, but it sounds like a very intriquing concept.

coffeebeetle

She's going to be around for awhile fellas.  Next to Ricci, she's my favorite young actress...have any of you seen Tree's Lounge, for instance?  She breathed life into that movie (although it was a decent film, she was the spark that lit it up.....IMHO anyway.)
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

pookiethecat

Quote from: GhostboyI love her. I've seen all her films that have been released so far (except for the HBO film)....

see if these walls could talk 2- if only for her parts.  that's one of her best, most genuine performances (despite the picture's overall unevenness).  she plays a butch so convincingly it's pretty shocking actually.  it'll completely shake your notions of what her onscreen persona is.  

but yeah, i really want to see demonlover too.  looks friggin awesome.  

has anyone seen julien donkey-boy and can recommend it/dismiss it?  i suffered through gummo last night, and don't want to encounter a similarly bad experience...is it worth suffering through just for chloe's performance?
i wanna lick 'em.

pookiethecat

Quote from: coffeebeetle

she bears a striking resemblance to fiona apple in that picture by the way.
i wanna lick 'em.

Find Your Magali

EDIT: Post deleted. I'm a dumb-ass.

godardian

Well, I liked Gummo, but I was the ONLY person (in my group, i.e. Portland movie reviewers) to like julien donkey-boy. It's worth seeing just for the beautiful shot of Sevigny walking and singing.

She's going to be in the next Woody Allen movie, apparently. Maybe she'll get the Winona Ryder role...? I wouldn't complain about that.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

The first time I saw Gummo, I didn't like it. Then I saw julien donkey-boy in theaters and was like...hmmmm. Then I saw Gummo again and loved it. Then I saw julien-donkey boy again and loved it.

To clarify -- I recommend julien donkey-boy.

I wanted to see If These Walls Could Talk 2, but mainly for the Vanessa Redgrave story. I heard it was really wonderful.

pookiethecat

i really responded to certain parts of gummo and it wasn't as bad as i thought.  but i'd be lying if i said i weren't bored silly during the majority of the movie.  

as for if these walls could talk 2, i can see how someone would really like the vanessa redgrave segment.  it was exceptionally well-acted by everyone, but it didn't really shake me in the way that ithink it was intended to.  the sharon stone.ellen degeneres segment has to be seen to be believed.  it's that bad.
i wanna lick 'em.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyI wanted to see If These Walls Could Talk 2, but mainly for the Vanessa Redgrave story. I heard it was really wonderful.

Redgrave's story is really the only one worth watching, and she received a well deserved Emmy for her performance.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Yes!!! Glad to see somebody made a thread about her, I think she's cool and I've been wanting to say some stuff about her. I just saw Boys Don't Cry myself and I just  have to say that she stole it. I mean, she stole it from Hilary Swank, who was very good on her own. She was the fucking best. I'm taking note of all these recommendations (except for maybe the Harmony Korine ones...I'm not sure about those), I can't wait to see her in more. The only other thing I've seen her in is Kids which is a film that I didn't like overall but I think she the reason I watched it all the way through. She's the character I cared about, the only one in the movie. That's a powerful preformance. To be good in a not-so-good movie I mean. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing her more. Keep the recommendations coming.

pookiethecat

Quote from: ebeamanYes!!! Glad to see somebody made a thread about her,.

who you callin somebody?   8)

i agree about her stealing the movie in boys don't cry.  as stephanie zacharek said, she seems to become the heart of every movie she's in.
i wanna lick 'em.

Ernie

I've never heard of Last Days Of Disco. Is it as good as BDC? Better? In your opinion of course. Is Gummo good? I'm not ready for Harmony Korine. I don't know if I ever will be.

pookiethecat

in my opinion, nothing can be better than boys don't cry.  that movie is the perfect match of acting and filmmaking.whereas last days of disco is more of another example of chloe rising above the mediocrity of the material to deliver something exceptional.  it's written/directed by whit stilman who is a pretty witty writer of dialogue...so it can't be lumped into the category of shitty chloe sevigny movies...i enjoyed it and recommend it.

don't be scared of korine.  gummo demonstrates much more filmmaking talent than larry clark has in either kids or bully.  a frame of gummo is more interesting and intelligent than those movies' combined.  

that said, i still don't think it's that great.  it intrigued me. it's pretty slow.  parts are interesting. chloe is naked...
i wanna lick 'em.

coffeebeetle

Quote from: pookiethecat
Quote from: coffeebeetle

she bears a striking resemblance to fiona apple in that picture by the way.

If you say so pookster..I don't see it though.  Fiona's got a cuter face IMHO of course.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)