the hidden DTS surround sound option in the Language menus

Started by freakerdude, October 12, 2003, 05:51:18 AM

freakerdude

I have had my DVD player for about 2 years now. About 6 months ago, I found out that sometimes the audio set up is in the Language section. I just took it for granted that if there wasn't an Audio Set Up section on the menu, you couldn't choose. If it says DTS on the back of the cover and does not have an Audio Set Up on the menu, look under Languages. Default is always Dolby Digital......I smell something fishy!

I personally believe DTS sounds better in my set up than Dolby Digital and always use DTS when possible.

Just a little FYI for those who don't know.
MC Pee Pants

bonanzataz

the reason dolby digital is the default is because not everybody has dts encoders, like myself. dts won't play on regular tv's, it has to go through a sound system.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ravi

I think some discs default to DTS.  Or you can use the audio button.

DD 5.1 tracks are sometimes optimized for downmixing to Dolby Surround, usually by putting more bass into the main channels rather than the LFE channel (the .1).  This could be why DTS tracks are perceived to be better.  I remember reading about the 5.1 track on the LD of The Matrix being better than the DVD because of this.

freakerdude

Excellent points from both of you. I had no clue that DD could be played directly into a stereo or tv audio w/o being decoded. Dolby Pro Logic, from the VHS days, is a simulated surround where the rear channels mock the front L and R but are limited on freq response and use a +/- 90 degree phase shift. The center is derived from both the from L and R channels. So DD must also have a stereo output even though 2 channel option may not be selectable on the DVD.

I have found DTS to be a bit brighter. Someone from the Home Theater Spot forum, or maybe you bonanzataz, said that the front to rear levels are always the same with either decoding system. I do know that I set my volume about -5 dB lower with DTS than when using DD. There seems to be much better response from the rear channels too.

I might as well turn my sub off when I watch my Platoon Special Edition DVD.....very little, if any, LFE. This movie is not so old that they couldn't have utilized the low freqs........every war movie needs to have BASS!

Another gripe is the 2.35:1 aspect ratios of some DVDs. I have an HDTV widescreen which uses the 16 X 9 aspect ratio (1.85:1). But these 2.35:1 DVD formats equate to a 21 X 9 aspect ratio which STILL does not fill up my widescreen tv......I still get a bit of the black bar syndrome. Why can't they get the standards together? Anamorphic widescreen should only be 16 X 9, IMO, to stay on par with widescreen 16 X 9 tv technology.

Oh well, I guess this belongs in the home theater forums but thought it might be useful here.
MC Pee Pants

Ravi

Quote from: freakerdudeI have found DTS to be a bit brighter. Someone from the Home Theater Spot forum, or maybe you bonanzataz, said that the front to rear levels are always the same with either decoding system. I do know that I set my volume about -5 dB lower with DTS than when using DD. There seems to be much better response from the rear channels too.

DTS is usually a little louder than the DD track, so the levels aren't automatically the same.

Another gripe is the 2.35:1 aspect ratios of some DVDs. I have an HDTV widescreen which uses the 16 X 9 aspect ratio (1.85:1). But these 2.35:1 DVD formats equate to a 21 X 9 aspect ratio which STILL does not fill up my widescreen tv......I still get a bit of the black bar syndrome. Why can't they get the standards together? Anamorphic widescreen should only be 16 X 9, IMO, to stay on par with widescreen 16 X 9 tv technology.

If 2.35:1 is the original aspect ratio, then it should not be modified to 1.78:1.  16:9 doesn't equal no letterboxing.  Anything wider will be letterboxed.  HBO's HD broadcasts of 2.35:1 films are cropped or opened up to 1.78:1.